Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sergio Busquets Appreciation Thread.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What Busquets and Iniesta do are wayyyy different. Iniesta and Xavi also have different roles..

Yes they do. Iniesta is more like a winger at this stage but for a long time he played in midfield on the left alongside Xavi. Just saying a lot of people if they had to pick who is the better player they would pick Xavi. Cant believe this. Iniesta could do what Xavi does easily and can do what he does now. People say Xavi is the heart and sole of Spain and Barca but that is Iniesta and it is just this year. Also, Xavi had a really mediocre tournament. Was definetly the weakest midfielder which is no shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

They do get paid massive amounts of money, they'd want to be doing something special. Too many appreciation threads.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fantastic player, anyone who thinks otherwise is likely blinded by his diving/playacting.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

closeline wrote: »
    Not saying they are negative but nothing spectacular. The majority of Xavis passes are like this.

I know, but if there is nothing else on, why attempt the hollywood ball? Why not keep the possession until the chance presents itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Iniesta could do what Xavi does easily

No, he couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes they do. Iniesta is more like a winger at this stage but for a long time he played in midfield on the left alongside Xavi. Just saying a lot of people if they had to pick who is the better player they would pick Xavi. Cant believe this. Iniesta could do what Xavi does easily and can do what he does now. People say Xavi is the heart and sole of Spain and Barca but that is Iniesta and it is just this year. Also, Xavi had a really mediocre tournament. Was definetly the weakest midfielder which is no shame.
    You really don't understand Barca, or Spain, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have said this in the Barca thread already, but Busquets is such a vital player to both his teams.

His confidence and movement with the ball is sublime. You rarely see him making a long raking pass. He keeps it simple, hence all the "easy 5 yard passes". He creates the space for himself to not have to make bigger passes. His shielding of the ball is second to none as well.

For a long time its been called the Makelele position. Its about time it is renamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Fair play OP :D

I'm not even going to get into the diving/petulant side of the debate, I'm still recovering from the match threads of the last few years..

Busquets, is without a shadow of a doubt criminally under rated. To any body who think's he's ****e, go find a younger player with more silverware, who actually earned there medals. Not by sitting on the bench for the best team's ever (Barca/Spain) but he started! Pep used to always say Busi was his first name on the team sheet when deciding on the line out, and both he and Del Bosque have openly said that he is the player they would most like to be like. Speaks volumes about him!

I know people will start to talk about the Motta incident and his habit for hitting the turf! But just remember, he is still a young guy! He has matured allot since then, and one must only look back as far as the Euro's to see he has improved in that sense. I can't think of once in the Euro's that he stayed down too long at all! :cool:

One thing I would like to see him improve is his Ariel ability. Barca's lack of height is always a cause for concern on set pieces, not so much a problem for Spain though.

Great video, great player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

No, he couldn't.

Yes he could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Yes he could.

Stupid argument to be making mate, they are both completely different players.
    Think of a team as a jigsaw. Incomplete when missing one single piece. Both Iniesta and Xavi are vital for there club and country. But I think you'd be very, very wrong to think Xavi is easy to replace, even for a player like Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yes he could.

Completely different players. Iniesta is an all out attacking player, while Xavi is a patient ball mover. Both great players, but cannot be categorised together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

One of my favourite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Absolutely hate him.

My favourite moments in his career are when he scored an own goal against Arsenal in the Champions League, when he couldn't catch up with Torres in the last minute in the second semi this year and when he got Motta sent off with his playacting.

He is damn good though.

The video in OP's post is really cool, I wonder if there are more good breakdowns of particular players like that? Pirlo, Ozil, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Why did you like when he got Motta sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brilliant player obviously, but he fits easily into the 'most dislikeable players' select.

Is he really "underrated" anymore? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

THFC wrote: »
    Believe it or not Iniesta isn't Catalan either, although himself and Messi are as good as.

He is.
    HE is just outside the provence but he is Catalan.
    The following was yoinked from a thread about a year and a half ago
    Older post.

Seaneh wrote: »
    He isn't the province of Catalonia, that doesn't mean he isn't Catalan.
    I mentioned Valencia because it's the closest city to him.

Hm is from an area inside the "Països Catalans". Which roughly translates to Catalan Countries.

Here's a little map. Fuentealbilla is the village he is from, for the record.

2iw6bua.jpg

Everywhere in orange = Països Catalans. People who live there, even though most of the area is outside the province of Catalonia, are still Catalan.

Do you comprehend this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

I dont mean to be a troll but sergio busquets is muck.barcelona and spain use attacking as a defense they attack all game and busquets just sits there and wins the ball if i started a thread about darren fletcher about his 08-09 season before his permenant bowl syndrome disease everyone here would say what im saying my dog could sit in behing iniesta and xavi and do better then him.the way u wrote this thread as if he was paul scholes.He's really just another carrick who cant score except in his own net.Sorry for rage! i just hate busquets.:cool::P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No, he couldn't.

Equally, Xavi couldn't do what Iniesta does, like, you know, play full matches :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I dont mean to be a troll but sergio busquets is muck.barcelona and spain use attacking as a defense they attack all game and busquets just sits there and wins the ball if i started a thread about darren fletcher about his 08-09 season before his permenant bowl syndrome disease everyone here would say what im saying my dog could sit in behing iniesta and xavi and do better then him.the way u wrote this thread as if he was paul scholes.He's really just another carrick who cant score except in his own net.Sorry for rage! i just hate busquets.:cool::P
    saywhatwhitney.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

CSF wrote: »
    saywhatwhitney.gif

coming from someone who watches league of ireland "DERP".You might aswell tell me carrick is the best midfielder in english football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

wow, someone was very drunk last night...

Advertisement