Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012-13 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Get fookin' on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Interesting draw. Real will probably go favourites now with very kind draw.

Have a feeling Malaga will upset Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Certified

Bayern v Juve...fantasic game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bayern v Barca please.

Damn too late. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Thought they were doing the semi-finals too :confused:
    The 4 shortest priced kept apart...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bayern Munich v Juventus

Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Galatasaray

Malaga v Borussia Dortmund

for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Nice draw...

Bayern Munich v Juventus
    Paris Saint Germain v Barcelona
    Real Madrid v Galatasary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Bayern Munich v Juventus
    Paris Saint-Germain v Barcelona
    Real Madrid v Galatasaray

Ibra back to Barca, interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Some great games there.

• Advertisement

The rehearsal draw last night;

bfwiob7cyaex-dy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Barca, Juve, Real and Dortmund to progress.

Steve McLarens top tip on Barca & Messi.
    Every tie will be open but PSG will have to defend well against Barcelona. The key thing is to create a ‘box’ around Messi with four players around him on the edge of the area. If you can defend that area, you can stop him.

Yeeessshhhh

NUTZZ wrote: »
    The rehearsal draw last night;

bfwiob7cyaex-dy.jpg

Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Why are Barca and Real never drawn against each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow Steve.

how did nobody else think of stopping Messi like that?

i bet McClaren thinks he's a fúcking genius with that theory too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FatherTed wrote: »

they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »

He's suspended for the first game in the tie, unfortunately

Juve are 20/1 on betfair now. That's really underestimating their quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Steve McLarens top tip on Barca & Messi.

Yeeessshhhh

So you're left with 6 outfield players to cope with the rest of the Barca team - tell me Steve, how does that work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Were the semi's sorted aswell ?

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Who cares?

Because it's interesting to see the alternative matches that were drawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Were the semi's sorted aswell ?

Nope, seems they are changing to doing that draw after the quarter finals are completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    That is certainly not a dream draw for us. Statistically we have not had good experiences with Juventus. It will be difficult and we will need to have two good days against them to reach the semis

Juve director Pavel Nedved
    Bayern are one of the hardest teams that we could have faced. We have to approach the tie positively

We're the underdog!

No, we're the underdog!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He was back last season with Milan too
    SlickRic wrote: »
    wow Steve.

how did nobody else think of stopping Messi like that?

i bet McClaren thinks he's a fúcking genius with that theory too.

:pac:

There were four players around him as hit the strike for the first goal on Tuesday. Didn't help much mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dfx- wrote: »
    :pac:

There were four players around him as hit the strike for the first goal on Tuesday. Didn't help much mind..

There were 5 around him for that goal I think. 4 is the key number, 5 is too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would love a Barcelona v Juventus final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

FatherTed wrote: »

They've been drawn four times against each other. Twice in the modern era and twice under the old EC format.

In the modern era I think 98/99 was the first season where multiple teams from the same country got to play in the CL. Prior to that the only way clubs from the same league could play each other would be if one was the defending EC/CL holder and the other was the current league Champion. This actually happened in 59/60 and 60/61 for Barca/Real. So that explains the 50s to the 00's.

Also the modern era draw system has been designed to keep teams from the same country apart as much as possible/reasonable. I believe(?) the QF's is the earliest two teams from the same country can meet.

This means that both Barca and Real would at least have to get to the quarter finals in the same season to have a chance to meet. This has only happened six times since 98/99 and under those conditions they have still managed to be paired twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

roanoke wrote: »
    They've been drawn four times against each other. Twice in the modern era and twice under the old EC format.

In the modern era I think 98/99 was the first season where multiple teams from the same country got to play in the CL. Prior to that the only way clubs from the same league could play each other would be if one was the defending EC/CL holder and the other was the current league Champion. This actually happened in 59/60 and 60/61 for Barca/Real. So that explains the 50s to the 00's.

Also the modern era draw system has been designed to keep teams from the same country apart as much as possible/reasonable. I believe(?) the QF's is the earliest two teams from the same country can meet.

This means that both Barca and Real would at least have to get to the quarter finals in the same season to have a chance to meet. This has only happened six times since 98/99 and under those conditions they have still managed to be paired twice.

It was 97/98 since Newcastle United played in the Champions League in 97/98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Very happy with the prospect of Barcelona vs PSG. PSG are clearly a very good side, lots of talent, really slick counter attackers and could pose a very serious threat to Barcelona.

However Barcelona stand for the sum of the parts being greater than the individual, a great academy produced team and history and tradition.

In the other ties I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Malaga and Juventus got through and Galatasaray do pose a threat though Madrid drew probably the weakest of the remaining teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

roanoke wrote: »

forgot about the semis 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Juve are 20/1 on betfair now. That's really underestimating their quality.

Strange, they are only 12/1 with PP ;)

Anyway, Borussia Dortmund should go through to the semis...I guess...I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

recyclebin wrote: »
    Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and Dortmund for the semifinals if they can avoid each other in the quarters.

Well I got the draw right. Now I will have to see if the results will go as planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ibrahimovic's 2 game suspension reduced to 1 meaning he can play both games v Barcelona. Huge plus for PSG.

Should make both legs more interesting now, still think Barca will get the job done over 2 legs.

• Advertisement

Champions League tonight.....anyone???

Bayern v Juve is tie of the season, only two side in the 5 big leagues in Europe to have conceded under 20 goals in their domestic campaigns, neither could be classed as defensive either, not by a long stretch. It's gonna be fascinating.

Best depth in standard in the competition in years at this stage, which is needed as there's very little else to get excited about in football this season with most leagues wrapped up worryingly early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I expect Bayern to take to Turin a couple of goals advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mitosis wrote: »
    I expect Bayern to take to Turin a couple of goals advantage.

I'd be surprised if they took more than a one goal advantage. I can see Juve progressing over the two legs.

Barca, Madrid, Juve and Dortmund would be my semi finalists.

They'll certainly miss Javi Martinez tonight, his presence in front of the back 4 has contributed greatly to the much improved defensive unit, it's one area were they could have done without players missing considering how strong and dynamic Juve's midfield 3 are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I think Juve will be a lot more confident of getting a result in Munich after the Arsenal game.

Juventus seem to be massively under rated for some reason, I'd fancy them to go through over the 2 legs.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to the game in Paris tonight. Tito Vilanova back on the bench should really be a boost for Barcelona. Hopefully Xavi and Alba can overcome their injuries to make the starting line up.

It will be interesting to see how PSG approach the game. They have the attacking talent to hurt Barcelona, I wonder if they will press ala Madrid or sit back and counter ala Chelsea.

Some interesting sub plots and a match between the the expensively assembled PSG and the greatest team of their generation, maybe the greatest team ever, Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I'll be sure to skip that game thread tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

They'll certainly miss Javi Martinez tonight, his presence in front of the back 4 has contributed greatly to the much improved defensive unit, it's one area were they could have done without players missing considering how strong and dynamic Juve's midfield 3 are.

Luis gustavo to fill in i assume? Not a bad replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

I reckon PSG could get a result tonight but don't fancy them over two legs.

I reckon Munich will have too much for Juve tonight. I wasn't really that impressed with Juve against Celtic, although they got the job done. Pirlo is definitely up there with my favourite 5 all time players, so I want to see him do well, but I fancied Munich to make the final... BEFORE I saw their miserable performance at the Allianz against Arsenal where they lost 0-2. If they took their chances that game they would have probably walked it. If they take their chances tonight, it could be 2 or 3 to 0. Big test.

Excited about the Champions League final 8... WIDE OPEN. Galatasaray, PSG and Malaga would be the only teams to surprise me if they got to the final. The other 5 are all within a shout of winning.

I don't know if I'll be able to handle Giles not knowing any of the players names, and Dunphy calling players like Javi Martinez a donkey, etc

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Beckham starts ahead of Veratti..

Paris St. Germain XI: Sirigu; Maxwell, T. Silva, Alex, Jallet; Pastore, Matuidi, Beckham, Moura; Lavezzi, Ibrahimović

FC Barcelona XI: Valdés; Alba, Mascherano, Piqué, Alves; Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi Hernández; Villa, Messi, Alexis Sánchez

FC Bayern München XI: Neuer; Alaba, Dante, van Buyten, Lahm; Luiz Gustavo, Schweinsteiger; Ribéry, Kroos, Müller; Mandžukić

Juventus XI: Buffon; Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli; Peluso, Marchisio, Vidal, Pirlo, Lichtsteiner; Quagliarella, Matri

Terrific to see Xavi and Alba in the starting line up. Personally I prefer it when Pedro is in the side, he offers a lot of balance to the team as a whole but overall a very strong team, certainly one capable of winning any match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DAFUQ is Beckham doing there?

Pedro is suspended.

Martinez is big loss. Like Juve's line-up looks solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Fair play to Beckham. I can't imagine there's too many players who have stepped up in level from MLS to a CL QF v Barcelona.

Jernal wrote: »
    DAFUQ is Beckham doing there?

Pedro is suspended.

Martinez is big loss. Like Juve's line-up looks solid.

Ye the picking up of a third yellow card was a shame, that being said Villa and Sanchez are more than capable players. Though maybe Tello might have been an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Alba and Alves key for Barca tonight. Big game needed for the 2 CBs as PSG will get attacks going. Attack won't be the beat form of defence for Barca tonight, they need to stay tight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement