Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012-13 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

roanoke wrote: »
    Fair play to Beckham. I can't imagine there's too many players who have stepped up in level from MLS to a CL QF v Barcelona.

That may be but he's stealing Zlatan's spotlight! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Alves is one of the most overated players in that team. He always has been. His ball retention is awful and in a team like Barcelona that keeps the ball with ease. Nearly half the time he gets it, they lose possession. Watch for it tonight.

Kirby wrote: »
    Alves is one of the most overated players in that team. He always has been. His ball retention is awful and in a team like Barcelona that keeps the ball with ease. Nearly half the time he gets it, they lose possession. Watch for it tonight.

A lot of that is down to a terrible understanding with Alexis though. Himself and Cuenca, Himself and Pedro, Himself and Messi, Himself and Cesc all worked really well. Alves and Alexis on the same wing usually results in possession lost or a just a blunt edged attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I don't agree. He is a hugely valuable out-ball. His energy but also his understanding of the Barcelona philosophy is invaluable. Granted his delivery mightn't always be the best and his defending, while good, isn't great but I wouldn't call him overrated and I certainly wouldn't undermine his importance to this Barcelona team.

Also he's been in great form this season. Last season he was poor, it looked like he might be on his way to PSG, he started the season slowly but his form has picked up considerably since then and he has been hugely consistent since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

I don't agree. He is a hugely valuable out-ball. His energy but also his understanding of the Barcelona philosophy is invaluable. Granted his delivery mightn't always be the best and his defending, while good, isn't great but I wouldn't call him overrated and I certainly wouldn't undermine his importance to this Barcelona team.

Also he's been in great form this season. Last season he was poor, it looked like he might be on his way to PSG, he started the season slowly but his form has picked up considerably since then and he has been hugely consistent since.

is there anyone on the Barcelona team you dont rate?

markie29 wrote: »

Their Kit designer maybe? Only three more possible european games of that awful orange to endure!
    *shudder*

I'm not a huge fan of Sanchez though I do have sympathy for him. His best position is through the middle, where he played the majority of time in the season with Udinese when he won Serie A player of the year. Of course that isn't really possible at Barcelona with Messi in the side. I don't think his style suits Barcelona at all. I think he is a hugely talented player, just at the wrong club for him.

Aside from that I'd find it tough to pick out many other players in the Barcelona squad who I don't rate. It's a great squad, collectively it is the greatest team of it's generation, an argument could be made for it being the greatest team ever. There is little, if any, deadweight.

I just don't agree. It's one of those things that, when I say it to people, they look at me like I've two heads. My inner nerd usually comes out at this point and I point it out during the game.

I did it in the last round when Barca played Milan in the 2nd leg. I was watching it with a mate and he disagreed with me so we decided to keep count. After 30 minutes he had a ball retention rate of 40%. 4/10. The 10 times he received the ball, Milan instantly got it back 6 of them. Either by dribbling into somebody, passing it poorly, or crossing it to nobody. That's simply appalling. And he recovered well. He was 1 for 5 at one point. And yes, I'm great fun at parties. :P

I realise that it is unfair to just take a snapshot of one game. It proves nothing. But it was just a recent example. He is the same in every game. It's like the Dara o'briain "...eh....." thing. Now that I've said it, you can't not notice it. :p

Adrian Chiles: "Are Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta going to be starstruck playing against David Beckham"

He asked it in a completely serious manner and the question was answered without even the hint of a giggle by Lee Dixon. ITV are their nauseating, biased English worst.

• Advertisement

I just don't agree. It's one of those things that, when I say it to people, they look at me like I've two heads. My inner nerd usually comes out at this point and I point it out during the game.

I did it in the last round when Barca played Milan in the 2nd leg. After 30 minutes he had a ball retention rate of 40%. 4/10. The 10 times he received the ball, Milan instantly got it back 6 of them. Either by dribbling into somebody, passing it poorly, or crossing it to nobody. That's simply appalling. And he recovered well. He was 1 for 5 at one point. And yes, I'm great fun at parties. :P

I realise that it is unfair to just take a snapshot of one game. It proves nothing. But it was just a recent example. He is the same in every game. And it a real pet hate of mine when people big him up.

Fair play to you for taking close observation and while I do think there is a place for stats like that what they don't take into account is the individual role of the players. He is the outball, when it gets congested in the middle he is more often than not the recipient of the crossfield pass and it does take a little bit of time for the rest of the team to shift across so that could be a factor.

He is also so often tasked with playing the cross when it does go out wide, infact I wouldn't be surprised if tonight he puts more crosses into the box than Sanchez so that will play a part. With Messi and Villa in the box it's not likely his success rate will be high but if he can get just one right and it leads to a goal then it will have been worth it and he will have done his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Adrian Chiles: "Are Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta going to be starstruck playing against David Beckham"

He asked it in a completely serious manner and the question was answered without even the hint of a giggle by Lee Dixon. ITV are their nauseating, biased English worst.

What an odd question. They have achieved more than Beckham in their careers.

He just compared Beckham to the Eiffel tower. I sh*t you not. :P

I think Mascheranos height could be a problem against Ibra tonight...Ibra could run riot.

He just compared Beckham to the Eiffel tower. I sh*t you not. :P

You'd almost think its just going to be 90 minutes of Beckham alone on the pitch with a football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

he does it again

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Alaba! 1-0 after 20 seconds!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jesus! :eek:

Even HSV managed to hold out for 4 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Wicked deflection. Decided to swing to Buffon' left mid-flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Where can I watch Juventus vs. Bayern Munich?

Sky have it.

• Advertisement

PSG won't get a better chance than that all night. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Where can I watch Juventus vs. Bayern Munich?

Sky and Setanta are showing it

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Vidal should have been booked there.

PSG won't get a better chance than that all night. :(

i am sure they will...barcas defense is not the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Beckham playing for set pieces? Can see no other reason unless the normal CM is absolutely dreadful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I get a semi-erection when Barca have the ball, and tenderly massage it as they pass it about.

Some strike that was.

i like the way PSG have Beckham playing...he will keep passing it to the wide men and exploit Barcas fullbacks

Beckham has put in a few great crosses already and a great 60 yard pass.

About time there was a yellow for Barcelona, being outplayed so far. He said.

• Advertisement

Good save there.

Great save.....PSG deserve to be ahead by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get a semi-erection when Barca have the ball, and tenderly massage it as they pass it about.
    get_help.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

AdamD wrote: »
    Beckham playing for set pieces? Can see no other reason unless the normal CM is absolutely dreadful..
    The commentator on ITV said that one of the PSG management said they picked Beckham because he has 105 Champions League caps and the experience he has in these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did my eyes deceive me or did Mascherano just hoof that out of defence? :eek:

PSG all over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

When did Barcelona sign Sisqo as RB?

Matuidi is some player. Box to box, energetic; like a bigger better Ramires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

That really should have been 1 - 0 you would expect so much better from Ibrahimovic

Silly from Ribery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Good refereeing not to give that one on ribery

Barca just getting their passing together now. Alves doing well defensively as I'd Mascha and Busquets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some miss from Robben. He delayed a pass that should have led to a great chance earlier.

Barcelona love to foul.

Juve are fairly all over the shop. Should have been 2-0 there Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern all over Juve, and should be up by 2, if not 3 by now.

• Advertisement

Barca just getting their passing together now. Alves doing well defensively as I'd Mascha and Busquets.

are you looking at the same game as me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

are you looking at the same game as me?

He can't see the game properly though his Barcascope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That was an unbelievable pass

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement