Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012-13 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Thiago Silva is top class. PSG did well, but have left themselves too much to do in Camp Nou. Never really thought they'd do it over two legs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Barca are 95% into semi final.

Interesting game. Beckham was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I enjoy watching barca but christ they are such a bunch of moaners at time, psg lucky to get a draw but thats football. Even with a poor game ibra managed a goal and an assist. Fully expect barca to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah Thiago Silva was pure class.

Also what a brainless moment from PSG when having a corner, Barca were down to nine men(probably through feigning injury) and they take a short corner instead of putting it in the box, and the ball gets cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

eagle eye wrote: »
    The defense was poor again tonight. Ibra on top form would have buried a couple. They haven't looked right at the back all season imo.

I think that is more down to the decreased intensity of the aggressive pressing rather than any particular change in their back four. That being said perhaps the introduction of Alba (another very attacking wing back) has changed things somewhat as it used to be Abidal playing at left back and he often held a 3 at the back allowing Alves to flow forward freely.

That being said, I think tonight they did very well defensively. Conceded an offside goal which shouldn't have been a freekick in the first place and a last minute deflected goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Thiago Silva is top class.

Would be the perfect replacement for Puyol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Juve were totally off the pace tonight. Never got going at all, couldn't put three passes together. Bayern's second goal was offside though.

Pirlo was brutal. His pass completion was 51% apparently.

With Lichtsteiner and Vidal out for the second leg, I think the tie is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think that is more down to the decreased intensity of the aggressive pressing rather than any particular change in their back four. That being said perhaps the introduction of Alba (another very attacking wing back) has changed things somewhat as it used to be Abidal playing at left back and he often held a 3 at the back allowing Alves to flow forward freely.

That being said, I think tonight they did very well defensively. Conceded an offside goal which shouldn't have been a freekick in the first place and a last minute deflected goal.

Barca have always been dodgy at the back, moreso this season than any other recent one. Its just they are so freaking good that they more than compensate for it most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If true that is shocking and surprising for such a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Juve were totally off the pace tonight. Never got going at all, couldn't put three passes together. Bayern's second goal was offside though.

With Lichtsteiner and Vidal out for the second leg, I think the tie is over.

Really lacked a spark tonight.

Have to agree that 2-0 may be a bridge too far for La Vecchia Signora

• Advertisement

I think Barca are 95% into semi final.

I'll take 19/1 if you're offering it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mascherano out for 6 weeks apparently, along with him adriano amd puyol barca are getting fairly lighweight. Only the young lads left unless they shoehorn song as a centre halve

klose wrote: »
    Mascherano out for 6 weeks apparently, along with him adriano amd puyol barca are getting fairly lighweight. Only the young lads left unless they shoehorn song as a centre halve

That's a real worry. He's an important player and Barcelona haven't a great deal of options at centre back. Bartra, Song or Busquets seem to be the only real options right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tried to watch both games, ended up enjoying neither. I think Barca deserved the win, but WTF was that Juve. Conte got that all wrong. Another Barca like comeback in Turin on the cards? :pac:

Alexis, missed one sitter that I saw. Jesus, Villa or Cesc and that was probably the tie over. Now, I've no idea how it ended 2-2 but I think PSG still actually have a decent chance. They should get 1 at the Nou Camp. I just think the watered pitch might make it harder for them to find their passes. (Milans long balls just skimmed out of play.)

But Juve. Juve. . .Juve. On the big stage, you really fluffed your lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Obviously that last goal is hugely disappointing because it has denied Barcelona a deserved victory. Barcelona were terrific tonight, a really top drawer first half performance, deservedly led at the break. The second half the question was could they cope without Messi and the answer was yes. Their possession was controlled, they created chances, they looked in no danger and then some dreadful refereeing turned the game around and almost threw Barcelona out of their groove. However a bit of magic on the edge of the box and a well taken penalty from Xavi should have been game over but fair play to PSG, they kept going until the end and found a lucky goal.

Despite the disappointing end and the injury concern of Mess, it is still 2 away goals and the next leg is at the Camp Nou where it will take something truly remarkable to beat Barcelona.

So often the accusation that gets thrown at the Barcelona defenders is that they are rarely tested defensively. Tonight Gerard Pique was superb, a ferocious leader at the back and solid throughout. Mascherano was a rock until the injury, Alves was magnificent and my pick for man of the match, his energy, his decision making and his quality was evident to everyone tonight, credit also to Busquets infront of them. Xavi and Iniesta dominated the game as they so often do.

Second leg, Camp Nou, hopefully Messi back, I'm still convinced that this Barcelona side will lift the Champions League this season.

I'm a Barcelona fan and that was far from a ''terrific'' performance. Just marginally better than the away game at the San Siro, actually. I still expect them to see off PSG in the next leg but they will have to far less pedestrian to do damage in the latter stages of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

mitosis wrote: »
    I expect Bayern to take to Turin a couple of goals advantage.

Damn it anyway.

If true that is shocking and surprising for such a legend.

As always, those pass completion rates are unreliably reported. I've just read this elsewhere.

Pirlo had 56 touches, completed just 31 passes (67.7%).

Still crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Pity, I hoped for a repeat of the 1997 final, with the same outcome :D

But Juventus are out, I would say, Same for Paris, don't think, they can win in Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pirlo kept taking too long on the ball and caught in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

As always, those pass completion rates are unreliably reported. I've just read this elsewhere.

Pirlo had 56 touches, completed just 31 passes (67.7%).

Still crap though.

I think he has looked casual since the new year. Missing passes, caught on the ball, dumped on his ass, that sort of thing. Not sharp.

I think the tie is a ways from over: One deflected goal, one offside goal. Two goals is not insurmountable, and surely Juve won't show so poorly at home.

Equium wrote: »
    I'm a Barcelona fan and that was far from a ''terrific'' performance. Just marginally better than the away game at the San Siro, actually. I still expect them to see off PSG in the next leg but they will have to far less pedestrian to do damage in the latter stages of the competition.

I think that's harsh. They created more tonight than they did against Milan. Their possession was well controlled up until the last 15 minutes. A poor refereeing performance changed the game and they scored an equaliser with a deflection with the last kick of the game.

Given the lack of Messi in the second half, PSG's good European record at home, it was a tough challenge tonight but I thought they answered that challenge very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

I reckon PSG could get a result tonight but don't fancy them over two legs.

I reckon Munich will have too much for Juve tonight. I wasn't really that impressed with Juve against Celtic, although they got the job done. Pirlo is definitely up there with my favourite 5 all time players, so I want to see him do well, but I fancied Munich to make the final... BEFORE I saw their miserable performance at the Allianz against Arsenal where they lost 0-2. If they took their chances that game they would have probably walked it. If they take their chances tonight, it could be 2 or 3 to 0. Big test.

Excited about the Champions League final 8... WIDE OPEN. Galatasaray, PSG and Malaga would be the only teams to surprise me if they got to the final. The other 5 are all within a shout of winning.

Why didn't I bet tonight :/ Also, I don't think Barca will win (the Champions League outright)

mitosis wrote: »
    I think he has looked casual since the new year. Missing passes, caught on the ball, dumped on his ass, that sort of thing. Not sharp.

I think the tie is a ways from over: One deflected goal, one offside goal. Two goals is not insurmountable, and surely Juve won't show so poorly at home.

I agree on Pirlo. He hasn't been at his best for quite a while now but he gets away with it in Serie A (and against Celtic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Kroos out for 6 weeks is not good. Only for that things couldn't be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Certified

Juve were brutal last night. Were beaten by their own mistakes.
    Bayern are a class act which is no surprise but still, this morning I see Juve are 40:1 to win the league and I am very tempted to put my €5 on them today.
    It would need one mighty performance from Juve but I do honestly believe that they are capable of one.
    In my opinion the winner of this tie will win outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I think that's harsh. They created more tonight than they did against Milan. Their possession was well controlled up until the last 15 minutes. A poor refereeing performance changed the game and they scored an equaliser with a deflection with the last kick of the game.

Given the lack of Messi in the second half, PSG's good European record at home, it was a tough challenge tonight but I thought they answered that challenge very well.

Was it not a refering mistake at either end? Offside for Ibra, and a dive from Sanchez? These things balanced out. However the behaviour of most of the Barca team were once again disgraceful. Why can they not just play the football they are capable of without diving, feining injury, and harassing officials? It is this side to their game that takes away so much from them at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Was it not a refering mistake at either end? Offside for Ibra, and a dive from Sanchez? These things balanced out. However the behaviour of most of the Barca team were once again disgraceful. Why can they not just play the football they are capable of without diving, feining injury, and harassing officials? It is this side to their game that takes away so much from them at their best.

No, the keeper wiped Sanchez out.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Definitely wasn't a dive from Sanchez, was just terrible goalkeeping.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    No, the keeper wiped Sanchez out.

Don't know how to answer this except from watch it again.
    Definitely wasn't a dive from Sanchez, was just terrible goalkeeping.

Of course it was a dive, and it was stupid goalkeeping. By rushing out and going to ground he gave Sanchez all he needed to go down and win a penalty. If the keeper stayed on his feet Sanchez had nowhere to go, which he didn't as he kicked the ball out of play with his touch. It was exactly the same as Ashley Young's penalty last year against QPR, and Yaya Toures against Liverpool.

It was no more a penalty than Ibra was onside. Although at least both were consistant. Ibra spent most of the game offside, and a few Barca players took any oppurtunity to go to ground, contact or not, in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Don't know how to answer this except from watch it again.

Of course it was a dive, and it was stupid goalkeeping. By rushing out and going to ground he gave Sanchez all he needed to go down and win a penalty. If the keeper stayed on his feet Sanchez had nowhere to go, which he didn't as he kicked the ball out of play with his touch. It was exactly the same as Ashley Young's penalty last year against QPR, and Yaya Toures against Liverpool.

It was no more a penalty than Ibra was onside. Although at least both were consistant. Ibra spent most of the game offside, and a few Barca players took any oppurtunity to go to ground, contact or not, in the second half.

I think what you're trying but struggling to say is that Sanchez played for the penalty. Yes, he did, and the keeper wiped him out. No dive required. A little sneaky from Sanchez, no doubt, but a stonewall penalty.

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I think what you're trying but struggling to say is that Sanchez played for the penalty. Yes, he did, and the keeper wiped him out. No dive required. A little sneaky from Sanchez, no doubt, but a stonewall penalty.

Not struggling at all. The point I was making in my post was the behaviour of the Barca team disappointed me again as a neutral.

In realtion to the penalty, I was saying it was every bit as fortunate as Ibra getting away with the offside goal. The keeper did not 'wipe out' Sanchez, yes he solely played for the penalty, the keeper going to ground made it easier for him, but it is quite clear that he just touched the ball on and dived into the keeper, rather than the keeper 'wiping' him out. Watch a replay of it again and from the touchline view it is actually quite clear that the contact made was a kick from Sanchez, and even at that there was barely any contact made.

These things happen in the game, but blaming the ref for awarding a decision against your team and ignoring the decisions for is just petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It was never a dive. The keeper came out and tried to knock the ball away from Sanchez and got nowhere near it, Sanchez did throw his leg at the keeper but he still made contact, the keeper should have stood up, the way Sanchez is playing lately and on his left leg going away from goal he would have fluffed the chance and the tie could have been different going to the Camp Nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It was never a dive..
    I disagree. It was both a dive and a foul.
    If the keeper didn't make contact Sanchez was going down anyway.
    It was a definite penalty anyway, sure he almost held him by the ankles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sanchez had every right to go down. Once the keeper comes out like that and misses the ball, he's automatically obstructing Sanchez illegally. He didn't even try to pull away, he was fully committed and screwed up.

Blatter wrote: »
    Sanchez had every right to go down. Once the keeper comes out like that and misses the ball, he's automatically obstructing Sanchez illegally. He didn't even try to pull away, he was fully committed and screwed up.

But was it a goal scoring oppurtunity? Sanchez's touch was heavy and away from goal, even if he didn't take the fall he would never have kept the ball in play.

The fact that it is Barcelona involved in poor sportmanship, it is ignored. If, and when the likes of Suarez, Bale, Young etc have been involved in the same way they are brandished cheats.

The debate here has gone from Defo not a dive to Not a dive to dive but a bad foul to he has a right to dive. So even if it is now accepted that he took a dive, it is still not a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

But was it a goal scoring oppurtunity? Sanchez's touch was heavy and away from goal, even if he didn't take the fall he would never have kept the ball in play.

The fact that it is Barcelona involved in poor sportmanship, it is ignored. If, and when the likes of Suarez, Bale, Young etc have been involved in the same way they are brandished cheats.

The debate here has gone from Defo not a dive to Not a dive to dive but a bad foul to he has a right to dive. So even if it is now accepted that he took a dive, it is still not a bad thing.

Whether it was a goalscoring opportunity or not is irrelevant as to why it was a penalty. All that matters is whether it was a foul in the box or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The keeper was retarded, there was contact. END OF.

It's a penalty, it's not poor sportsmanship, contact was made and heavy contact at that he didn't go down too dramatically, it's up to the ref then.

If the keeper stays on his line like he should then it's a nothing matter.

PS: I was hoping for a PSG win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Whether it was a goalscoring opportunity or not is irrelevant as to why it was a penalty. All that matters is whether it was a foul in the box or not.

Exactly when someone is bundled over within the box all that matters is whether it's a foul or not. A goal scoring opportunity should really only come into it if it's the last man and a red card is being branded.

a foul is a foul, and that was indeed a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

A large percentage of this forum constantly berate Barcelona and Spain for their cheating, diving and poor sportsmanship.

Sometimes it is justified, but that was a stonewall penalty. I don't know how Ancelotti had the nerve to go and complain to the ref at full-time, as Ibra's goal was a culmination of a number of refereeing mistakes.

For the record, I was supporting PSG last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A draw does seem like a fair result. Both teams had chances, Barca weren't great attacking, PSG weren't great. It was exciting to watch though!

As for tonight, I am really looking forward to Galatasary and Real; it should be a fiery affair! Hoping Galatasary won't be like Juve against Bayern last night but actually get under the skin of Real. An annoyed and angry Bernabeu is something to behold!

• Advertisement

Agreed the oppurtunity doesn't impair the foul committed by the keeper. I was using it to highlight the clear intentions of Sanchez to take a dive. In the case last night there were both, and I think either way the ref went would be open to criticism. I think there is just as much of an argument for Sanchez recieving a yellow card as there was for the penalty to be awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hoping for a beast mode performance from Drogba tonight.

Wouldn't write off Juve yet, they got out of jail big time only losing 2-0. Games like that are where their lack of a quality CF hurts them, no one to hold the ball up or be the focal point. Mandzukic does that so well for Bayern, he's been a brilliant buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Borussia Dortmund most likely without Kuba tonight. I will settle for a draw, since Malaga didn't loose a home match in 3 years. 1:1, I would reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Malaga havent lost a home game for 3 years??? ^^^^^^^^

even in La Liga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Malaga havent lost a home game for 3 years??? ^^^^^^^^

even in La Liga?

Definitely not in La Liga anyway, because Barca thumped them. Everyone talks about that Milan performance but that performance against Malaga was up there too. So many rondos. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Borussia Dortmund most likely without Kuba tonight. I will settle for a draw, since Malaga didn't loose a home match in 3 years. 1:1, I would reckon.
    They've lost plenty of home matches over the past three years? You thinking of some other team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

On this forum it's not. On this thread it's not. It's even brought up when Ibrahimovic was 40 yards offside last night. Or when they win 4-0 it's not.

dfx- wrote: »
    On this forum it's not. On this thread it's not. It's even brought up when Ibrahimovic was 40 yards offside last night. Or when they win 4-0 it's not.

What?? Not a clue what you are trying to say there.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yeah, Lars post has me a bit puzzled here :s This season Malaga haven't lose at home in the Champions League anyway.

Hopefully Schmelle, Kuba and Bender are match fit and play. Need Bender to put Isco on lockdown as much as possible tonight. If the former isn't fit, I hope Klopp doesn't tinker with the formation all too much which I fear. Last time he did, we were played off the park to Schalke -_-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What?? Not a clue what you are trying to say there.

If there was anywhere in the universe to support your theory that the penalty award or indeed any decision that goes for Barcelona was fortunate, it'd be here.

Advertisement