Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012-13 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Veratti proving why he was right to be disappointed after the first leg. Should have started that game. Classy performance yet again from him.

Good shout. Becks was rubbish in the first leg too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Dunno about that. Dortmund were fairly poor last night and Real Madrid barely scraped past us. Barca could of been beaten by PSG. Bayern Munich are the only side that I've been really impressed with (bar Arsenal at home).

Dortmund in the Group stages were class.....Against Real Madrid,Man City and Ajax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Barca have to be favourites since Messi will be back for the semi-final. Have been so ruthless when Tito has been on the sidelines, if he wasn't missing for as long as he had been who knows what sort of records could've been broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

markie29 wrote: »
    Dortmund in the Group stages were class.....Against Real Madrid,Man City and Ajax.

Yeah I agree and they were good against Malaga in the first leg but they were on the cusp of bottling it last night. Don't get me wrong their a very good side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results

Quarter Final 2nd legs

Galatasaray (TUR) 3 V 2 Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 3-5)
    Borussia Dortrmund (GER) 3 V 2 Málaga CF (ESP) (Agg 3-2)
    Barcelona (ESP) 1 V 1 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) (Agg 3-3 Barcelona win on away goals)
    Juventus (ITA) 0 V 2 Bayern Muchen (GER) (Agg 0-4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Barca have to be favourites since Messi will be back for the semi-final. Have been so ruthless when Tito has been on the sidelines, if he wasn't missing for as long as he had been who knows what sort of records could've been broken.

Pretty sure Tito didn't oversee Barca's best performance of the season (the 4-0 win v Milan), so that kind of puts a hole in the theory that his absence was the reason behind Barca's poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Bill has lost the plot this evening. Finding it hard to listen to him.

Blatter wrote: »
    Pretty sure Tito didn't oversee Barca's best performance of the season (the 4-0 win v Milan), so that kind of puts a hole in the theory that his absence was the reason behind Barca's poor form.

He oversaw it from whereever he was.

He oversaw it from whereever he was.

And he had nothing to do with the other games?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The Bayern v Juve game was class. Juve were excellent at times and that's an indication how good Bayern were to win this 2:0. Bayern were under severe pressure for long spells but defended well and on the ball they were massive.

Bayern dream draw would be Dortmund I'd say, 'cos on current form they'd most likely take them apart. But in a strange way I feel Dortmund's only hope is a Bayern draw, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Boskowski wrote: »
    The Bayern v Juve game was class. Juve were excellent at times and that's an indication how good Bayern were to win this 2:0. Bayern were under severe pressure for long spells but defended well and on the ball they were massive.

Bayern dream draw would be Dortmund I'd say, 'cos on current form they'd most likely take them apart. But in a strange way I feel Dortmund's only hope is a Bayern draw, too.

I would like to avoid Real Madrid, they might play dirty, since they only finished second in the group behind Borussia Dortmund :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I hope they keep Barca and Madrid apart in the semis, it would make an epic final. Not that either would be guaranteed to get there, Bayern look great, and Dortmund are better I think than some people are giving them credit for at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Barcelona 1-1 PSG: Football lost today.

764dak wrote: »
    Barcelona 1-1 PSG: Football lost today.

Not enough goals? A corporate, soulless, despicable club didn't get absolutely annihilated? Away goals decided the tie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chippy Brady earlier - "I don't know much about PSG but...."

Johnny Styles a few mins ago "I don't know much about Bayern Munich but........."

Like wtf? Clowns

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

Johnny Styles a few mins ago "I don't know much about Bayern Munich but........."

Like wtf? Clowns

You can insert that phrase for pretty much every foreign side they cover.

Dunphy is the only one that pretends to know what he's talking about when it comes to foreign sides.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I would like to avoid Real Madrid, they might play dirty, since they only finished second in the group behind Borussia Dortmund :rolleyes:

I know but I'm sure you'll agree Dortmund's form in the group stages and Dortmund's form shown in the knockout stages are miles apart. As good as they were against City and Real in the group stages they more or less stumbled into the semis. Their easy flowing play is somehow gone.
    Plus all their knockout matches were played at a pretty lowish standard of play considering we're in the Champions League knockouts.
    On current form Dortmund would be considered the easiest draw by a good margin.

I'd love to see them show their best and it would be a great story if they could get into the final or win it. But unless they somehow recover their early form I can't see that happening.

I hope they keep Barca and Madrid apart in the semis, it would make an epic final. Not that either would be guaranteed to get there, Bayern look great, and Dortmund are better I think than some people are giving them credit for at the moment.

Bayern were pretty much awesome tonight against a really strong Juve side. If people don't give them credit it can only be 'cos they're not watching their matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I watched the Barcelona game tonight and PSG only have themselves to blame for not going through . Barcelona where very poor until messi came on . If anyone of the semi finalists get a Barcelona team playing like that they have a bery good chance of putting them out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

All the semi finalist have had their hairy moments in the competition, Real against United, Dortmund against Malaga, Bayern against Arsenal and Barca tonight and I suppose against Milan too but they responded well on both occasions. It's a competition where you need fortune very much on your side to progress and lift the trophy, typified by the fact no team has ever retained it in the CL era.

Lots to look forward to in the semies, should be two very entertaining ties whoever draws who. I think Barca still have gears they can go to that *nobody* can live with, whether or not they'll produce it this year is yet to see.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think Barca still have gears they can go to that *nobody* can live with, whether or not they'll produce it this year is yet to see.

Very possible that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

You can insert that phrase for pretty much every foreign side they cover.

Dunphy is the only one that pretends to know what he's talking about when it comes to foreign sides.

Which basically involves saying the players name (occasionally mispronounced) when they show the line-ups, then stating their nationality/position and some inane, nondescript and usually critical comment:

'Julio Cesar....Brazilian...not up to much'

'Cambiasso...Argentinian...waiting to be found out'

'Sanchez...Chilean...a bit of a brainless winger'

Basically they're no great shakes Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Inspirational. That is the only word I can think of after seeing Barcelona tonight. Desperately short at the back having been hit by a plague of injuries to central defenders, forced to start a not fully recovered left back at centre back, only for him to have to go off around the 60th minute, a goal down to a confident and vibrant PSG side playing without fear, and if all of that isn't bad enough, robbed of the services of the greatest player who ever lived from the start of the game. The situation was bleak.

Enter Messi. Granted it was a half fit Messi who noticeably was unable to close down defenders but it was still Lionel Messi, the Argentinian genius from La Masia. The game turns on it's head. He can't move off the ball but he can certainly move on it. A typical dazzling dribble, the pass to Villa, the awareness of Spain's all time record goalscorer to find his compatriot Pedro, the low, hard accurate shot from the underperforming Spanish winger and Barcelona prove once again that this is a team with the biggest heart, the greatest fighting spirit.

A special mention to Jordi Alba. Tasked with the difficult job of stopping Lucas Moura along with aiding Adriano as much as possible, everybody knows Alba is as good an attacking left back as you are likely to ever see but tonight he proved a hugely capable defender. Winning headers which a man of his height had no right to win, time and again stopping raids from Moura and Jallet down his side. Contributing going forward. This was a polished display of modern wing back play, you will be doing well if you find a more impressive performance from a left back this season.

Barcelona march on and rightly so, over two legs they were the better side. Tonight they overcame adversity, another great victory to add to the collection that this once in a lifetime group of players have amassed. Barcelona dream of another Wembley final, another Wembley victory.

A bit OTT there Anderson.

I watched the Barcelona game tonight and PSG only have themselves to blame for not going through . Barcelona where very poor until messi came on . If anyone of the semi finalists get a Barcelona team playing like that they have a bery good chance of putting them out .

If Barcelona play like that, with no Messi, they will not make the final.

However, I still think you have to have them as (just) favourites.

But it is indisputable now that the rest of Europe's top teams have caught up. They have learned how to stifle Barcelona's style of play - the extreme possession, extreme pressing style is no longer the unmanageable task to play against it once was.

I know Barca have not won the Champions League every year for the last 5 years, but for me they were always big favourites for the trophy. Things have changed in this regard.

This should be an absolutely fantastic end to the Champions League this year. 4 top quality teams. Sub Man United in for Dortmund and you're talking about the 4 best in Europe (no disrespect to Dortmund). But even so you have probably the 3 best and an incredibly entertaining and (on their day) very dangerous Dortmund team.

Any combination of semis should lead to great semis and a great final.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Barca played a 3-4-3* that Tito had them experimenting with on and off this season. Most noticeably against Mardid in the SuperCopa and La Liga. And Also, in part against Malaga, but he varied it a bit there.

The amazing thing about Tito, was on the eve of the Milan game he gave the Pep Talk and tactics via teleconference. Considering he just had chemotherapy a day or so before that's just amazing. But, I guess there's nothing more emotional to the players than seeing their manager in such a fragile state speaking so passionately. I don't think the guy will be managing them next season though. Shame, too, because he really had some project going. Now, they look really vulnerable at times and if it wasn't for Messi they'd most likely be out.

*Originally pioneered by Guardiola last season much to the nerves and anguish of the Catalan faithful. They dropped so many points. Looks like Tito though found a better balance to it.

Personally I'd love Dortmund to win the competition. They were playing excellent in the Bundesliga for a few years. (When Redout flags a team, you know to you have to keep to an eye on them.)
    Semi Final match up I'd like to see.
    Bayern - Real
    Barca - Dortmund

Inspirational. That is the only word I can think of after seeing Barcelona tonight. Desperately short at the back having been hit by a plague of injuries to central defenders, forced to start a not fully recovered left back at centre back, only for him to have to go off around the 60th minute, a goal down to a confident and vibrant PSG side playing without fear, and if all of that isn't bad enough, robbed of the services of the greatest player who ever lived from the start of the game. The situation was bleak.

Enter Messi. Granted it was a half fit Messi who noticeably was unable to close down defenders but it was still Lionel Messi, the Argentinian genius from La Masia. The game turns on it's head. He can't move off the ball but he can certainly move on it. A typical dazzling dribble, the pass to Villa, the awareness of Spain's all time record goalscorer to find his compatriot Pedro, the low, hard accurate shot from the underperforming Spanish winger and Barcelona prove once again that this is a team with the biggest heart, the greatest fighting spirit.

A special mention to Jordi Alba. Tasked with the difficult job of stopping Lucas Moura along with aiding Adriano as much as possible, everybody knows Alba is as good an attacking left back as you are likely to ever see but tonight he proved a hugely capable defender. Winning headers which a man of his height had no right to win, time and again stopping raids from Moura and Jallet down his side. Contributing going forward. This was a polished display of modern wing back play, you will be doing well if you find a more impressive performance from a left back this season.

Barcelona march on and rightly so, over two legs they were the better side. Tonight they overcame adversity, another great victory to add to the collection that this once in a lifetime group of players have amassed. Barcelona dream of another Wembley final, another Wembley victory.

Can you sent this resume to Sky. I don't who faps more you or them? :confused:

A bit??!! :eek:

I have nothing at all against Barca and respect this team of the last 5 years or so as probably the greatest in footballing history, but my God Anderson's comments make me want them to lose!

Honestly I don't think it is.

Cast your mind back to that moment around the 65th minute when Adriano goes down injured. PSG a goal up and playing some of the best football an opposing side has played at the Camp Nou in a long time, young, untested Bartra about to come on, a half fit Messi being risked (so you know times were bleak). From that to qualification justifies so much praise and adulation.

He was sort of believable for a period a few weeks ago but seems to have blown his cover a bit recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Morzadec wrote: »
    If Barcelona play like that, with no Messi, they will not make the final.

However, I still think you have to have them as (just) favourites.

http://eurorivals.net/top-scorers/barcelona.html

They won't not make the finals without Messi because according to this he has scored nearly as many goals as half the first team put together . But he is their main striker .

Up until tonight he's being saying that Bayern Munich are an ordinary side, a team that are leading another very good side (Dortmund) by ~20 points, in one of the strongest leagues in Europe. One of the most bizarre and uniformed statements you'd ever hear from someone who's meant to know a bit about the game.

He was sort of believable for a period a few weeks ago but seems to have blown his cover a bit recently.

There's no cover and there is no attempt on my part to wind up people. I watch Barcelona almost every week, I'm not some randomer who comments on them during big games like this to get a rise from people, I actually take the time to watch them play every week and I immensely enjoy their performances week in, week out. I recognise that this is a great team, possibly the greatest team, filled with some of the greatest players football has ever seen. In my opinion there is no greater joy in football than watching this once in a lifetime team and group of players play a style of football unique to their club and unmatched by any others.

On the other hand, I suspect if we were to scroll through my post history and check the football threads I've commented on I would find you, continuously replying to me with inflammatory remarks which serve only to take the thread off topic. I am not a topic, Barcelona are a topic.

Oh yeah, sometimes I wonder, as much as Bill & Co are more enjoyable to watch, I do really wonder if TV3 have actually got the better pundits. Christ! Surely if you're getting paid to give opinions on the final eight teams (just eight!) you'd at least have watched them play. It's not that hard these days either.
    At least, Dunphy didn't call Martinez a donkey. I guess I should be happy about that.

/rant over

There's no cover and there is no attempt on my part to wind up people. I watch Barcelona almost every week, I'm not some randomer who comments on them during big games like this to get a rise from people, I actually take the time to watch them play every week and I immensely enjoy their performances week in, week out. I recognise that this is a great team, possibly the greatest team, filled with some of the greatest players football has ever seen. In my opinion there is no greater joy in football than watching this once in a lifetime team and group of players play a style of football unique to their club and unmatched by any others.

On the other hand, I suspect if we were to scroll through my post history and check the football threads I've commented on I would find you, continuously replying to me with inflammatory remarks which serve only to take the thread off topic. I am not a topic, Barcelona are a topic.

The game is up son. Good innings ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Messi is coming on the pitch then...

Quite! A calculated but nonetheless risky gamble that ultimately paid off: Barca progress and Messi didn't do any further damage to his hamstring.

However, it was quite shocking to see how bereft of inspiration they were without him. Even though he was patently not 100 percent fit, (was bordering on the farcical at times) just his sheer presence seemed to inspire his team-mates and provide the other attackers with more space. Plus he indirectly set up the goal.

It also gives credence to my personal opinion that although this Barcelona side were exceptional (and possibly still are), I do feel that they are an outstanding team that is helped immensely by possibly one of the greatest players ever. When he is not in the side, they look eminently beatable.

As for the immediate future, I think it's fair to say the cream has risen to the top at the semi-final stage. (With the possible exception of Man United). As amazing as it may sound now, I would say Barca are only third favourites, should they be paired against either Bayern or Real, one could easily see them being eliminated. But then if Messi is fit...anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hardly desperately short at the back, barca had 3/4 of their regular starters in defence and had song/adriano and bartra to choose from the remaining spot.

As for alba his blackguarding tonight was cringy and poor. Im quickly developing a hate for the lad

Stat of the year I think for me.
    Xavi attempt 96 passed tonight and completed all of them.:eek:
    100% accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

vicwatson wrote: »

Like wtf? Clowns

This for some reason does not bother me, I think it is because I am fairly familiar with most of the participating teams, so just look at the pundits for the actual analysis of the game. That having been said, it demonstrates a clear lack of professionalism on their part and something I am surprised they have not received more flack for.

I do think the general 'chemistry' between the pundits (for want of a better word) is much more successful than most of the other channels I watch, makes you look forward to what they have to say I feel.

It was interesting tonight, they were really praising Ronaldo to the high heavens, this was something that had they had been noticeably reluctant to do before, generally not going further than begrudgingly highlight his astonishing goalscoring record and so on. I felt it was a nice change!

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Hardly desperately short at the back, barca had 3/4 of their regular starters in defence and had song/adriano and bartra to choose from the remaining spot.

As for alba his blackguarding tonight was cringy and poor. Im quickly developing a hate for the lad

Champions League quarter final, they started with a not fully recovered left back at centre back up against Ibrahimovic and Lavezzi. I'd call that desperately short. Bartra, a young lad whose first team experience has been minimal had to come on and deal with the expected late onslaught. That is desperate times.

Easy to look at the negatives but look at the positives he contributed to his team. A world class defensive display, always a willing and threatening forward runner and helped slow down the game and run down time for his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Away goals is a rubbish rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Champions League quarter final, they started with a not fully recovered left back at centre back up against Ibrahimovic and Lavezzi. I'd call that desperately short. Bartra, a young lad whose first team experience has been minimal had to come on and deal with the expected late onslaught. That is desperate times.

Easy to look at the negatives but look at the positives he contributed to his team. A world class defensive display, always a willing and threatening forward runner and helped slow down the game and run down time for his team.

its not easy to look at the negatives when your Andersonisgod

From a neutrals point of view it does certainly add drama. But I agree.

It is a bit unfair alright. But I like that it punishes teams who try to park the bus away from home. A 0-0 away is a much weaker result with the away goals rule than it would be otherwise.

It is a bit unfair alright. But I like that it punishes teams who try to park the bus away from home. A 0-0 away is a much weaker result with the away goals rule than it would be otherwise.

But the converse of this is it makes the home team overly defensive because they don't want to risk conceding an away goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dream final now is Dortmund v Munich.
    For me anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No it isn't. The alternative was for PSG to sit out the dullest 0-0 since Italia 90 and be allowed progress. They had to attack Barcelona and that's when Barcelona are at the weakest.

It also punishes teams who don't bother to attack at the Nou Camp like Chelsea in 2009, so that game is justification for the rule alone.

It also suits conservative, but lethal counter attacking sides like Man United and Real Madrid.

dfx- wrote: »
    No it isn't. The alternative was for PSG to sit out the dullest 0-0 since Italia 90 and be allowed progress. They had to attack Barcelona and that's when Barcelona are at the weakest.

It also punishes teams who don't bother to attack at the Nou Camp like Chelsea in 2009, so that game is justification for the rule alone.

It also suits conservative, but lethal counter attacking sides like Man United and Real Madrid.
    It doesn't suit anything, it all depends on circumstances. Sometimes it'll suit a team sitting back, sometimes it won't. Either way I don't think it's fair or needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

blobby360 wrote: »
    Of course he is :rolleyes:

I know Andersonisgod tends somewhat to the hyperbole, but he had HUGE boots to fill with Abidal's absence at right back.

He has taken to the position at Barcelona like he has always been there. He has been beyond excellent this season, putting Alves to shame on the other side. He is also better with the end product than Abidal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dfx- wrote: »
    I know Andersonisgod tends somewhat to the hyperbole, but he had HUGE boots to fill with Abidal's absence at right back.

He has taken to the position at Barcelona like he has always been there. He has been beyond excellent this season, putting Alves to shame on the other side. He is also better with the end product than Abidal too.

I think you mean left back? Both Abidal and Alba are left backs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement