Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock airport to Castlebar..

Options
  • 02-07-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

This might be an age old problem here, but myself and a friend are flying into Knock on a Friday morn, both will be in by 11am.. I see the Bus Eireann bus is not until 12:55! It's her hen see, and I hadnt really thought thru this aspect of it!

Are there any other ways at all of getting to Castlebar? I am considering renting a car, but would only need it for the Friday (ideally drop it off in Castlebar; is that service available does anyone know?). Can get the bus back on the Sunday.

Any help appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

You can get a taxi. No idea how much it would cost though probably cheaper than hiring a car.

Just found this on google

http://www.knockairporttaxis.com/taxis-transfers-from-knock-airport-to-castlebar-mayo/

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Yes bus times are crap. Many of the flights are in early so you might just make the 10.55.
    Otherwise taxi outside arrivals, or one of the hire cars, some may have offices in Castlebar if you call.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/toandfromairport/car_hire.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'd say a taxi to Castlebar might be expensive enough. Why not have a late breakfast or early lunch at the airport to pass the time until the bus comes. There's a restaurant/cafe upstairs with good views of the planes coming and going, at that time of day it's usually quite busy around the airport. There's a bar (possibly two?) in the public area as well if you want to start the hen party early...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

you could walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I see thumbing is back in vogue........

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mary from the dairy

Using the above taxi fare estimator, the cost of a taxi one way is between €70.40 to €88.00 from Knock Airport to Castlebar and could well be more if you are travelling at premium times, ie Sundays or between 8pm - 8am. It seems crazy to me that the single and/or return taxi fare could very well cost more than the actual airfare (from the UK to the west of Ireland in my case)!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I am a taxi driver myself and I totally agree with you. The long distance journeys are by far way overpriced. Thanks to the taxi regulator!.
    Best thing is to google some taxis in Castlebar and see what they would do it for. Some of them will probably do a discount price if you ask nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Cheers everyone! Gonna have breakfast in the airport and get the bus at 12:55.. We are in no hurry I guess and will treat ourselves to hair done/nails with the money saved from taxi!
    Mad there's no better services tho!

• Advertisement
Advertisement