Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Slam winners

• 02-07-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Now that Spain have won the Euros for a second time there are now a few more players who have won a champions league, a title in one of the big 3 leagues (Spain, England, Italy), a world cup and a European championship/Copa America, i.e. the Grand Slam.

Before Euro 2008 there are only a handful of players in the modern era who have done this.

Players who come to mind (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Deschamps
    Zidane
    Roberto Carlos

Can anyone think of other players who have done this?

Close contenders:

Pirlo (no European Champ.)
    Torres (no league title)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Casillas had already won one before this tournament. I'm sure Xavi did as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cafu and Henry are 2 more that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Iniesta too - non Spanish players?

THFC wrote: »
    Cafu and Henry are 2 more that spring to mind.

Yeah forgot about them, nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think it's unfair to exclude Germany as a top league , as Franz Beckenbauer won everything as a player with Bayern Munich Germany and also managed a World Cup winning team! Great record.

• Advertisement

jimmurt wrote: »
    Iniesta too - non Spanish players?
    All the Spanish Barca players really, Puyol, Valdes and Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Thierry Henry had also done it.

I wonder who came closest but failed? David Trezeguet? Beaten in a champions league final on penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ronaldinho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Kaka comes close, no Copa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Barthez has with Marseille, Manchester United and France and Henry has with Arsenal, Barcelona and France.

There's Cafu, Jurgen Kohler (Dortmund CL, Juventus Serie A, and Germany in 1990 and 1996

Desailly with Marseille, Milan and France. Dida with Milan and Brazil. Ronaldinho with Barcelona, Milan and Brazil.

If you include the Bundesliga as a domestic league, you get a bunch more, and there's more if you take the old European Cup due to the Germans of the 70s

• Advertisement

101001 wrote: »
    Thierry Henry had also done it.

I wonder who came closest but failed? David Trezeguet? Beaten in a champions league final on penalties

Ballack has been a CL runner up twice, Euro 2008 runner up and WC 2002 runner up

Good replies - especially the Kohler one.

Kaka doesn't have a world cup either.

titan18 wrote: »
    Barthez has with Marseille, Manchester United and France and Henry has with Arsenal, Barcelona and France.

There's Cafu, Jurgen Kohler (Dortmund CL, Juventus Serie A, and Germany in 1990 and 1996

Desailly with Marseille, Milan and France. Dida with Milan and Brazil. Ronaldinho with Barcelona, Milan and Brazil.

If you include the Bundesliga as a domestic league, you get a bunch more, and there's more if you take the old European Cup due to the Germans of the 70s

Has Bartthez a CL medal? Too late for Marseilles victory and between Uniteds recent victories.

Has Bartthez a CL medal? Too late for Marseilles victory and between Uniteds recent victories.

He won it with Marseille

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Xabi Alonso

Champions League with Liverpool
    World Cup and European Cup with Spain
    La liga with Real Madrid

A more difficult question is who has been world and continental champion for both club and country, and won a league medal. Henry and Cafu have, along with the Spanish contingent of Casillas, Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa.

The only non Spainsh player that held those awards at the same time was Lizarazu afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Sepp Maier, Paul Breitner, Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Uli Hoeneß and .... Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck (yeah I never heard of him either)

Had to look that one up but I knew there was a period in the early 70's where W.Germany / Bayern had a run that put even Barca to shame.

(I know it doesn't fit the q either but I still count Germany as one of the 'big' leagues :D )

==

Another one who was close to the actual parameters tho was Dino Zoff. Never won a European Cup but had all the rest. Actually won the European Championships in 1968 and then the World Cup in 1982! I wonder could anyone match that gap?

The only non Spainsh player that held those awards at the same time was Lizarazu afaik.

Speaking of which, does he not count as a Grand Slam winner or are Bayern not a big enough team in a mickey mouse league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

titan18 wrote: »
    Ballack has been a CL runner up twice, Euro 2008 runner up and WC 2002 runner up

Oh thats a lovely selection of close calls. And just the one premier league title too.... as I say that.... We do realise that Germany is Third place in the league coefficient table, actually ahead of Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

101001 wrote: »

Alessandros Del Piero and Nesta.

They've both won multiple Serie A titles, the Champions League and the World Cup. They were beaten in the Euro 2000 final by Trezeguet's golden goal.

Edit: Pippo Inzaghi is in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Schmeichel has it all apart from the World Cup, a fair achievement for someone from what wouldn't be classed as a strong footballing nation. Although obviously he didn't get close to the World Cup so not exactly a close call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Vicente Del Bosque as a manager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Now that Spain have won the Euros for a second time there are now a few more players who have won a champions league, a title in one of the big 3 leagues (Spain, England, Italy), a world cup and a European championship/Copa America, i.e. the Grand Slam.

Before Euro 2008 there are only a handful of players in the modern era who have done this.

Players who come to mind (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Deschamps
    Zidane
    Roberto Carlos

Can anyone think of other players who have done this?

Close contenders:

Pirlo (no European Champ.)
    Torres (no league title)

Is this your own idea of a "Grand Slam", why is winning a league title in England, Spain or Italy necessary. It rules out Bundesliga teams or Ligue 1 teams who are capable of winning Champions Leagues. The rest of your "Grand Slam" criteria is fine, I wouldn't agree with the title in one of the "3 big leagues" thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Makelele and Anelka have won everything at club level, but wern't picked for France in either of their International tournament wins.

Pires won the WC, Euros and the Prem, but was a runner up in the final of the champions league in 2006.

Sergio Ramos is just a Champions League win away from the grand slam too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

A more difficult question is who has been world and continental champion for both club and country, and won a league medal. Henry and Cafu have, along with the Spanish contingent of Casillas, Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa.

And a Minor All-Ireland medal *sacarsm* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Christian Karambeu has (shockingly enough) a European cup medal, a World Cup one, 2 CL's, an intercontinental championship, and a French league title.

Also was twice named Oceania player of the year despite playing for France and is knight of the Lègion D'honneur! Good going for an remarkably average player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Jurgen Kohler

World Cup 1990
    Euro's 1996
    Champions League 1997
    Intercontinental Cup 1997
    Serie A 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Patrick Viera would have done it if he hadnt have joined City during the 09-10 Season. He did play twice for Inter in the Champions League in the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is a grand slam not to win them all in one year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Good replies - especially the Kohler one.

Kaka doesn't have a world cup either.

He does. 2002.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He does. 2002.

I was gonna say he wasn't in the squad but a quick wiki search tells me he was :eek:

Rochey18 wrote: »

Good luck winning the World Cup and Euros in one year!

I know what you mean though. The term is usually used to refer to winning everything in one season but in tennis they use 'career grand slam' to denote someone who wins the four big tournaments over the course of a lifetime so this is more along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Sepp Maier, Paul Breitner, Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Uli Hoeneß and .... Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck (yeah I never heard of him either)

Funny but Beckenbauer has said on a couple of times that without Schwarzenbeck he would have been nothing. Fabulous player who kept The Kaisers back free. Schwarzenbeck incidentally runs a newsagents near the Deutsche Museum in Munich, I used to get a paper there when I lived in Munich, lovely bloke and has no interest in the media spotlight.

Beckenbauer has also won the Cup Winners Cup in 69 and the UEFA cup in 96 as a trainer which alsmost makes him unique.

Andy Moeller has all of them as well, was a sub for a couple of matches in the 1990 WC. CL in 97, league with Dortmund a couple of times, Euro's in 96.

To be fair if your putting up that list you'd need to add the Brazilian League (complicated I know) and the Argentinian League as well.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Good luck winning the World Cup and Euros in one year!

I know what you mean though. The term is usually used to refer to winning everything in one season but in tennis they use 'career grand slam' to denote someone who wins the four big tournaments over the course of a lifetime so this is more along those lines.
    In tennis a golden slam is the term used for winning all the slams in one year, which obviously is impossible in soccer, but I suppose that term could be applied to holding them all at the same time, which is what a lot of the Barca players have done, along with Lizarazu, and probably a few Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In tennis a golden slam is the term used for winning all the slams in one year,

Almost.

Golden Slam is all 4 grand slam tournaments plus the Olyimpics.
    Think Steffi Graf did that in 1988.

• Advertisement
Advertisement