Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sli nios fearr new political party in ireland will they be a sucess?

• 02-07-2012 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Martin Critten; spokesperson for Sli Nios Fearr, explores the question – do we really need a new political party! It’s the sort of statement you hear at the village pub, one which is immediately rebuffed with the remark; but sure they’re all the same, just a bunch of gob***** ! Certainly, nothing quite raises the ire of the ordinary ‘joe’ over a few pints, than the idea of creating yet another tier of self -serving individuals masquerading as everyone’s saviour; but whilst we continue to blot out our fiscal woes with mild substance abuse, the tragic irony is we are the ones that keep on voting them in!
    In our decadent consumer led society, one thing is for sure, if you bought a box of soap powder from the supermarket that promised to remove stains, or in fact it totally ruined you Monday’s wash, then certainly there would be hell to play – and a refund of course.

http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/

He done a walk to raise awarness for his party,do you know of anybody who has joined,or would you consider joining yourself?Do you think they could be a sucess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

What's his manifesto?

What's his political history and personal background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/

He done a walk to raise awarness for his party,do you know of anybody who has joined,or would you consider joining yourself?Do you think they could be a sucess?

What's with that picture ?

http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/NL-Hillman-leaping-06-copy.jpg

Also, typos on the homepage are risky even if they're intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Red_Wake wrote: »
    What's his manifesto?

What's his political history and personal background?
    "Well I’m 54, born in Greater Manchester, with 75% Celtic blood running through my veins."
    http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/?page_id=293

Yawn... next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I couldn't consider voting for yet another party with an unprouncable name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What's his manifesto?
    I like his manifesto, put it to the testo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

smash wrote: »
    "Well I’m 54, born in Greater Manchester, with 75% Celtic blood running through my veins."
    http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/?page_id=293

Ok, admit it.....your dad's Scotish or something? And your mother's half irish? Why else would you say Celtic and not Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The homepage picture makes it looks cultish and the text is poorly written.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Morlar wrote: »
    What's with that picture ?

http://www.sli-nios-fearr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/NL-Hillman-leaping-06-copy.jpg

Also, typos on the homepage are risky even if they're intentional.

It's like something on them new aged holistic christian faith healing avangelists cult pamphlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hope they legislate for a 99c coin

It's like something on them new aged holistic christian faith healing avangelists cult pamphlets.
    It's John Travolta from Stayin Alive...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Further right than the PDs by the looks of it.

He'll go places alright.

It looks like one of those 'I must fly - My people need me' kind of things just waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I might be more interested if the party name was written in a language that I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Someone should tell him there's no such word as sli in Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

smash wrote: »
    It's John Travolta from Stayin Alive...
    It looks like one of those 'I must fly - My people need me' kind of things just waiting to happen.

Second thoughts, I'm thinking it might be alien abuction lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Their policies are hilarious:
    A new SSIA, to bring cash into the exchequer so we could use this as a stimulus

Excellent, let's spend government money on encouraging people to spend less and save more? And then use that money as a stimulus to encourage consumption?
    Make voting compulsory; and subsequently provide a no vote for any of the above, or not bothered section – but it will sponsor greater social responsibility and engagement.

Sweet Jesus.
    ...provide investigate powers for tribunal style work

Didn't we vote no to this?
    Legalise cannabis and or cannabis derivatives for acute medial purposes.

This might explain the above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

SocSocPol wrote: »
    I couldn't consider voting for yet another party with an unprouncable name.
    Perhaps someone should tell this wannabe politician that Dail elections are also open to people from the UK, few of whom will be able to speak Klingon Gaelic Irish. Google Translate can only do so much ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

On the same page for donations, there's a mobile number as a contact.. Seems legit :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Agreed it doesnt look very professional but hes only starting up really,having said all that though i would consider voting for him,his heart is in the right place,good intentions and all that..a far cry from bertie ahern FF and LABOUR and FG..

I am sick of voting for the same people,its like a tight crew you know no matter what way you vote things aint gonna change..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Agreed it doesnt look very professional but hes only starting up really,having said all that though i would consider voting for him,his heart is in the right place,good intentions and all that..a far cry from bertie ahern FF and LABOUR and FG..

I am sick of voting for the same people,its like a tight crew you know no matter what way you vote things aint gonna change..

What a terrible reason to vote for someone, seriously, at this point we need to start electing people who know what they are doing.

• Advertisement

Agreed it doesnt look very professional but hes only starting up really

This is a comment I never agree with. If you're starting up, you make damn sure to put in the effort to get attention.

mackg wrote: »
    What a terrible reason to vote for someone, seriously, at this point we need to start electing people who know what they are doing.

The way things are going I can't really see myself voting for an established political party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

What happened to amhran nua? t least they had a decent site.

The way things are going I can't really see myself voting for an established political party.
    Then vote independent, but at least vote for one that knows his arse from his elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dosent stand a chance. Not once has he mentioned what roads he'll be fixin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

They could have come up with a better party name.

Imagine foreign journalists trying to pronounce it from reading. My money's on 'Sly neeos feer'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

What's his manifesto?
    Judging by the name of his party, his main aim is to abolish the 'fada'.

How do we know for certain he doesnt know what hes doing that could be a little presumptous,its like when FG accused gerry adams of not knowing what hes doing..

I would rather someone with the right intentions,then some greedy shark thats in it for themselves and what they can get out of it..Like we have suffered in the past with FF..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

He's worked in tourisum, which I suspect is how he thinks it's spelt rather than a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

let him put himself forward for election and be judged then.

okay so its bad spelling,do you know a lot of FFers back in the day that got into politics were dyslexic and some never even did their L.Cert?

As far as i can see he is no FFer why cant we give him a chance(just like weve given a lot of other parties chances like ff) and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

What's his manifesto?

We should put it to the testo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wait a minute.........

donations for membership are a tenner a year..

For some unrelated reason, I've suddenly become reminded of this delightful chap.

• Advertisement

he reminds me of an inebriated fella i see on my regular travels around town..

Sorry if I jumped to the wrong conclusion but I assumed you voted SF? When I say someone who knows what they are doing I don't necessarily mean an established party.
    (1)How do we know for certain he doesnt know what hes doing that could be a little presumptous,its like when FG accused gerry adams of not knowing what hes doing..

(2)I would rather someone with the right intentions,then some greedy shark thats in it for themselves and what they can get out of it..Like we have suffered in the past with FF..

(1) It's up to him to show the electorate him and his new party know what they are doing, as opposed to electing him, seeing him fcuk up and proving he doesn't.

(2) Someone with the right intentions but no clue what they are doing could be just as damaging. You said you would consider voting for him purely because his heart is in the right place.

I would like to see someone with the right intentions as opposed to brown envelope ones..ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Do I get a free gun if I join?

I would like to see someone with the right intentions as opposed to brown envelope ones..ya

You seem to be ignoring the actual point of my post but anyway, how do you know his heart is in the right place apart from he says it is?

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    You seem to be ignoring the actual point of my post but anyway, how do you know his heart is in the right place apart from he says it is?

I think from what he has written - he seems to have the right intentions..Better than all the greed we put up with from our populist parties..

[/QUOTE]the idea of creating yet another tier of self -serving individuals masquerading as everyone’s saviour; but whilst we continue to blot out our fiscal woes with mild substance abuse, the tragic irony is we are the ones that keep on voting them in!
    In our decadent consumer led society, one thing is for sure, if you bought a box of soap powder from the supermarket that promised to remove stains, or in fact it totally ruined you Monday’s wash, then certainly there would be hell to play – and a refund of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

donations for membership are a tenner a year..

I hope he's got enough tenners to hand over when we start signing up.

depends on whether enough people sign up..As far as i can see he hasnt raised much publicity since,the limerick post,and his public walk,i havent heard a peep since..and in media land you can be forgotten very quickly..yesterdays news and all that..

How do we know for certain he doesnt know what hes doing that could be a little presumptous,its like when FG accused gerry adams of not knowing what hes doing..

I would rather someone with the right intentions,then some greedy shark thats in it for themselves and what they can get out of it..Like we have suffered in the past with FF..

They were right - Adams didn't even know the VAT rate.

Gerry adams mightnt have know but there were other members who did and were on top of their game,remember the debate with mary lou mcdonald or even pearse?

Gerry adams mightnt have know but there were other members who did and were on top of their game,remember the debate with mary lou mcdonald or even pearse?

I find any debate with Shinners ends with Straw man arguments and ad hominem attacks tbh.

Granted they werent offering a solution to the crisis,they didnt offer any great alternatives for the NO side,so i think thats why they did so badly in the debate on primetime and frontline..

I think from what he has written - he seems to have the right intentions..Better than all the greed we put up with from our populist parties..
    the idea of creating yet another tier of self -serving individuals masquerading as everyone’s saviour; but whilst we continue to blot out our fiscal woes with mild substance abuse, the tragic irony is we are the ones that keep on voting them in!

Anyone running for election, just the same as anyone going for any position will say they are the right person for the job. Saying they are doesn't mean they are. It goes without saying that anyone elected should have good intentions when in power but good intentions alone are not reason to elect them.

I don't see how what you quoted tells us anything about the man tbh, the first half of what is there has been posted here before by a huge number of AH posters, does that mean they deserve a chance in government? I'm not dismissing the guy I'm just saying there is nothing on that site that goes any way to convincing me he deserves a vote.

Granted they werent offering a solution to the crisis,they didnt offer any great alternatives for the NO side,so i think thats why they did so badly in the debate on primetime and frontline..

No solutions, no alternatives?

And you advocate voting for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The founder refers to social mobility in the transport section of his manifesto. The guy genuinely thinks that social mobility has got something to do with transport. He's also got some serious spelling errors all over his website. Incompetence, there's a reason not to vote for him.

PS He also uses the term sustainability way too much. people like that generally have no idea what sustainability is or how to implement it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement