Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House Tips?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm moving out of a house share situation into a fully let property with my girlfriend. The current house will cease to be a house share after we have gone.

Currently the Gas and Electricity are in my name what is the best method for moving the accounts. I was thinking maybe getting the land lady in the old place to switch company with her details etc... that way my name is gone and a settling bill would be sent through?

I could then do the same with the new house just switching providers there to my choice and again getting a settling bill?

Is this the best way to go? I want to avoid any stupid setup fee's etc...

Also can you move a TV license to a new place?

Thanks,
    Fionny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

fionny wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm moving out of a house share situation into a fully let property with my girlfriend. The current house will cease to be a house share after we have gone.

Currently the Gas and Electricity are in my name what is the best method for moving the accounts. I was thinking maybe getting the land lady in the old place to switch company with her details etc... that way my name is gone and a settling bill would be sent through?

I could then do the same with the new house just switching providers there to my choice and again getting a settling bill?

Is this the best way to go? I want to avoid any stupid setup fee's etc...

Also can you move a TV license to a new place?

Thanks,
    Fionny

Every time I have moved house I have done the following....

I take a reading of both the gas and electric meters on my last day in the house, when I get to the new place the first thing I do after getting the stuff inside is take the reading from the gas and electric and then I ring which ever provider I have and inform them of my change of address and what the last reading was for the old place and the new reading is from the new place, they then issue me a final bill for the last place but to the new address and transfer my account over to the new place using the new readings I have just given.

No need to ask landlady to do anything or get involved in anything, when they take your name off the account they then issue the next bill to your old address to the householder but thats not for you to worry about.

If you have upc and want to transfer that over you need to ring them at least two weeks before you move so they can arrange a service call out once your in so they can come and hook you up, remember to bring your box with you, yes they will give you a new one but will charge you for the other one if not returned

Happy moving hope it goes without a hitch and nothing gets lost or broken, remember plenty of bubble wrap or stuff cups and stuff with lots of newspaper

Oh tv licence there should be a number of the licence ring them and let them know of change of address also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

there is no charge for transferring an account over, I have had the same account with both for the last 12years and have moved 4 times never been a charge for moving address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks chaps, I was trying to be nice to the Land Lady but after a moment I just had there she can feck herself.

Claimed we were paying rent in arrears... nearly had a heart attack! Luckily I was able to get AIB to confirm the first rent payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks chaps, I was trying to be nice to the Land Lady but after a moment I just had there she can feck herself.

Claimed we were paying rent in arrears... nearly had a heart attack! Luckily I was able to get AIB to confirm the first rent payment.

Take a photo of the meters showing the index/reading, serial number , and maybe showing a copy of the day's paper.

No arguments then.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like you got yerself a piece of work there! Best take photos of all the rooms (with the front page of todays newspaper in all of them), in case she tries to swindle you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

She has no deposit to withhold, and no written lease etc... I also have certain info relating to her rental that she would probably prefer I didnt divulge... all if push comes to shove, though i doubt it will now ive got statements prooving the rent situation.

Advertisement