Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Claims Discount - Taken Away for no reason!!

Options
  • 02-07-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All

So here's the short version of the story.

I was involved in a crash in Jan, damage done to my car but no damage to 3rd party's car.

I am claiming off his insurance as I believe it was his fault and they are still investigating and haven't yet accepted or declined liability - in the meantime the dents on my car will stay put.

I am not claiming off my own insurance for the damage, regardless of the outcome of the claim against the 3rd party, and he has not made any claim against me as there was no damage to his car at all.

So - I got my renewal quote on Fri and instead of having 5 years no claims discount, i have ZERO no claims discount!

On enquiry this morning I was told that I would have to pay the hefty 1400 premium and wait for the claim to be settled by the 3rd party, then my NCD would be re-instated to me IF the 3rd party accepts liability. If they deny liability then I lose my NCD...even though there is no claim being made to my policy???

Is this even legal? I'd understand if there was a claim pending off my insurance from the 3rd party, or I was waiting on the outcome to see if I was going to claim off my own policy but I'm not.

Regardless of the outcome of the claim there is not going to be any claim off my policy.

I have been told customer service will be in touch in 3 days but the whole ordeal is so stressful. If anyone has any advice on how to proceed I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like he claimed off your insurance and they paid out tbh.

Just deal with the insurance company, keep it on the level and stop stressing out. Get all the facts together first. Im sure you will get it resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sometimes, if a claim is made, and the details aren't finalised before the renewal premium is calculated, the driver will receive a renewal price based on a lower NCBs that may only be a temporary state of affairs.

Read more: http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/car-insurance-buyers-guide-no-claims-bonus-explained#ixzz1zTTY7oMs

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alycat05

They have confirmed that no claim has been made against me, and certainly nothing paid out yet continue to say that I lose my bonus in the interim while I claim off 3rd party's insurance.

It just doesnt make any sense to me at all?

Outcome 1: 3rd Party pays out and I recieve the money to fix my car. My no claims bonus is unaffected and re-instated.

Outcome 2: 3rd Party does NOT pay out. In which case I am not going to claim off my own insurance as I do not want to lose my NCD.

Either outcome results in the same thing - nobody claims off my insurance.

They just dont seem to get that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

alycat05 wrote: »
    They have confirmed that no claim has been made against me, and certainly nothing paid out yet continue to say that I lose my bonus in the interim while I claim off 3rd party's insurance.

It just doesnt make any sense to me at all?

Outcome 1: 3rd Party pays out and I recieve the money to fix my car. My no claims bonus is unaffected and re-instated.

Outcome 2: 3rd Party does NOT pay out. In which case I am not going to claim off my own insurance as I do not want to lose my NCD.

Either outcome results in the same thing - nobody claims off my insurance.

The fact that your claim against him is open is probably to blame. For all I know, when the claim is brought against him, he may choose to counter claim (regardless whether it will work or not). I'm guessing but I know open claims do complicate matters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

alycat05 wrote: »
    I think you're missing their point of view; you say you're not going to claim against them but they can't be sure of that as your car has damages. Hence if your claim fails you may turn around and claim against them and they would then have qouted you the cheap rate and end up costing a lot of money; hence they qoute you as if you claimed to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How did you insurers know about the damage? Did you contact them? If you did then it is a pending claim.

Advertisement