Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clamping in Aldi carparks

Options
  • 02-07-2012 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi are using N.C.P.S. to clamp cars in their earmarks in Carlow. It looks like there is now some kind of time limit on you when doing your shopping and if you dawdle you may well get clamped.

Just saw an elderly man return with his shopping and put it into his car and then he noticed the clamp. He must have went somewhere else in town before doing his shopping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

When you have a free service, people will always take advantage of it. I wouldn't imagine that it is not simply "dawdling," I would imagine it is people coming in to shop maybe even from different counties, then abandoning their cars in Aldi's car-park for the day.

They need the spaces for their own customers, and have a right to punish anyone abusing their hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

I saw three cars clamped there one day last week. One of the owners came out of Aldi wheeling her trolley full of shopping. Yer man from NCP is on to a winner there. I've never seen the Hanover Aldi car park any more than 50% full ,even on Thursdays. Its usually more like 20% most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If people are legitimately shopping in Aldi and still getting clamped then they are going to lose customers. I know if it happened to me I wouldn't go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

People take the piss. At my local Lidl there will often be 40-50 cars and 10-ish people actually in the store shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

recyclebin wrote: »
    If people are legitimately shopping in Aldi and still getting clamped then they are going to lose customers. I know if it happened to me I wouldn't go back there again.

It might just be in the Hanover store, they have wanted to close that store ever since the other one opened but they would lose all those town customers who would go to lidl before trying to make it out to graigue

• Advertisement

bogof wrote: »
    I saw three cars clamped there one day last week. One of the owners came out of Aldi wheeling her trolley full of shopping. Yer man from NCP is on to a winner there. I've never seen the Hanover Aldi car park any more than 50% full ,even on Thursdays. Its usually more like 20% most days.

Most of their customers are families without a car or single mothers without a car. They usually walk to aldi and get a taxi home with the shopping. That is a lot of money to lose each week to lidl.

THe car that was clamped earlier at around 4pm is still in the carpark tonight, still clamped! some people would not have tha fee of €80/€100 to get their car unclamped, I do hope this man knows someone with an angle grinder who might be able to help him get his car released:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Where did you here they wanted to close that store foggy_lad? I would have thought it is in a good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Whats the time limit for parking?

Are there signs up saying you can be clamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Lots of people park in Hanover Aldi and nip over to the town for a while. The whole pay parking scene in a small town is very anti business . Thats why Tesco car park is always full.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Whats the time limit for parking?

Are there signs up saying you can be clamped?
    Afaik it states no all day parking and parking for Aldi customers only, I have not noticed any time limit but there may be one.

There are small signs high up on the light poles which would be hard enough for me to read or even notice.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Where did you here they wanted to close that store foggy_lad? I would have thought it is in a good location.
    A prime location! even more so now with Pizza hut up for grabs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik it states no all day parking and parking for Aldi customers only, I have not noticed any time limit but there may be one.

There are small signs high up on the light poles which would be hard enough for me to read or even notice.

Signage states parking is for a max of 2 hours .

Tesco's were thinking about cracking down on those who were parking in their carpark all day, they have a limit of 3 hours but they ve backed away from the idea as the foot fall into the store has been dropping

Advertisement