Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in Rosan Glas

Options
  • 02-07-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

Any advice would be great...It may seem like a silly problem but its causing me a lot of sleepless nights!!!

I live in Rosan Glas in Rahoon and this past few months I can't leave windows open in the house at night as the noise of cats mating echo's around the estate. They are so loud I can even hear them when the windows are closed!! The problem is getting worse as it only used to happen every other night but now it seems like it is happening every night!! On most occasions it lasts for up to one hour and usually starts between 3 and 5am...Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem? Can the ISPCA or someone do anything? I think that the cats are strays as I've seen them during the day and they do not look well kept...Has anyone else who lives in Rosan Glas been able to hear them?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

that wouldn't be exclusive to rosin glass - it is happening all over - this is the time for cats to be outdoors all night. You're just going to have to put up with it. They may not necessarily be strays either. Cats are usually let out for the night do to their hunting. It happens every year - it's nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 M_Endo

that wouldn't be exclusive to rosin glass - it is happening all over - this is the time for cats to be outdoors all night. You're just going to have to put up with it. They may not necessarily be strays either. Cats are usually let out for the night do to their hunting. It happens every year - it's nature.

Hi fishy fishy, thanks for the reply. I've lived in this area for the past number of years and have never had this problem before or else maybe I couldn't hear them from the other places I've lived...

i live in knocknacarra and I hear them every night - like kids being tortured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 M_Endo

i live in knocknacarra and I hear them every night - like kids being tortured.

Yeah its a horrible noise...Not nice to wake up to that...I wouldn't mind if it was once a week or a few times a month but every night...Ugh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd be more worried about zombies coming outta the cemetery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

M_Endo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Any advice would be great...It may seem like a silly problem but its causing me a lot of sleepless nights!!!

Options:

1 Move to somewhere that cats aren't allowed (good luck with that).

2 Kill them all (good luck with that too, for all sort of reasons!)

3 Earplugs.

You could ask the "ISPCA or someone" to have a word with the cats and ask them to tone it down, but somehow I don't think the cats will be co-operative. It's not like they're doing something they're not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

M_Endo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I live in Rosan Glas in Rahoon and this past few months I can't leave windows open in the house at night as the noise of cats mating echo's around the estate. They are so loud I can even hear them when the windows are closed!! The problem is getting worse as it only used to happen every other night but now it seems like it is happening every night!! On most occasions it lasts for up to one hour and usually starts between 3 and 5am...Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem? Can the ISPCA or someone do anything? I think that the cats are strays as I've seen them during the day and they do not look well kept...Has anyone else who lives in Rosan Glas been able to hear them?!!

Try giving the Galway Cat Rescue a call. They run a trap-neuter-return program which would put a stop to all those awful noises and cut down on unnecessary litters. The cats could go on living their lives there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Give them lots of food and hugs,

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

We have lots of stray cats in the area, once some people (sent by Winters property management) came to capture and neuter them but they were not successful and I am not sure why, I think they didn't insist enough.
    Anyways nature is doing her job and most of them disappeared but some females got new litters, less than previous years though.
    I'll try to get the name of this organization for you, perhaps they may help this time.

Try giving the Galway Cat Rescue a call. They run a trap-neuter-return program which would put a stop to all those awful noises and cut down on unnecessary litters. The cats could go on living their lives there.

Sorrry, I didn't see this post, must be this one the organization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

It happens every year - it's nature.

It's not actually. Wild cats don't have unlimited resources of food at every second house from people who leave out food but don't actually take ownership of the cats. Cats need to be either domestic or wild but not stray. People feel they are being charitable by feeding strays but they can't be bothered going the extra mile and actually owning them. They should be neutered and deflead. The numbers multiply rapidly (the screeching noises) and successive generations get weak, diseased and inbred over time even though many get killed on the roads. That is not a nice life for a cat and it is NOT nature.
    I've seen this happen and in my experience it is as often as not domestic tom cats doing the impregnating.
    So in short folks if you care about cats get them spayed and if you care about your dog then don't leave his food and water outside unattended and lock your kennel door. Over the last number of years our dog has picked up mouth infections and fleas from the stray cats around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

JustMary wrote: »
    2 Kill them all (good luck with that too, for all sort of reasons!)
    I know you don't really mean this but please refrain from suggesting it.
    It angers the cat people.

whineflu wrote: »
    It's not actually. Wild cats don't have unlimited resources of food at every second house from people who leave out food but don't actually take ownership of the cats. Cats need to be either domestic or wild but not stray. People feel they are being charitable by feeding strays but they can't be bothered going the extra mile and actually owning them. They should be neutered and deflead. The numbers multiply rapidly (the screeching noises) and successive generations get weak, diseased and inbred over time even though many get killed on the roads. That is not a nice life for a cat and it is NOT nature.
    I've seen this happen and in my experience it is as often as not domestic tom cats doing the impregnating.
    So in short folks if you care about cats get them spayed and if you care about your dog then don't leave his food and water outside unattended and lock your kennel door. Over the last number of years our dog has picked up mouth infections and fleas from the stray cats around us.

I disagree. It's nature. We are part of it, we are not isolated, we are nature as well after all.
    You can disagree with people feeding stray cats, but it's as natural as any other thing.
    That does not mean stray cats should not exist but it seems the means to control them do not exist and you cannot expect everybody to become a cat owner or pay for the spaying.
    More over, if i t is a public problem then a public solution should exist, i.e. city council, etc.

whineflu wrote: »

I would say this is completely wrong.

I would say this is completely wrong.

because ...

biko wrote: »
    I know you don't really mean this but please refrain from suggesting it.
    It angers the cat people.

Oops .. sorry, ddin't mean to make ya get lots of angry reports. :o

Cat people: Chill! I though it was obvious that I was telling the OP that the only realistic option was ear-plugs, or getting over it.

Though I do agree with the point about not feeding strays, and asking the neighbours not to do the same.

fyi, where I come from, it's considered to be irresponsible cat ownership to let cats out at night, due to the damage that they do to the native bird population. Perhaps some of ye could consider a similar approach, it might make the OP's life more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

As far as I know the cat population in Rosan Glas has already been through the catch & release system. Galway Cat Rescue carried this out and it is detailed in the last Rosan Glas property management AGM minutes. If the cat has a little piece of its ear clipped, it means it has been neutered. Apparently, a group of these cats in an area will stop other cats coming in and stealing their territory. I lived in Roasn Glas for years and every year without fail the cats start this screeching around this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

While I'm at it, I'd like to say a big thanks to Galway Cat Rescue for all the work they have done around Galway. My gf has often contacted Claudia about stray cats, especially the ones in Rosan Glas, and they were out to try and catch them within hours, literally. They are very proactive. As far as I know, the vets perform the neutering on a do-now-pay-later basis, so Galway Cat Rescue have to find the money through fund-raising efforts to pay the vets back. That's my understanding. You may have noticed their coin collection boxes on the counters of the vet's offices. Needless to say they could do with every penny they can get to help keep the bills paid.

Advertisement