Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTLDR missing windows xp

Options
  • 02-07-2012 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I started getting this message on startup last week :confused: I have to open the boot menu and select Raid 1 to boot first to get windows to run. The computer is a HP media centre and is running XP service pack 3. I've tried doing the HP system recovery and also windows system restore but to no avail :( I haven't got the backup disks so I was wondering if there is anything else I can do besides buying new discs and totally wiping the computer? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I started getting this message on startup last week :confused: I have to open the boot menu and select Raid 1 to boot first to get windows to run. The computer is a HP media centre and is running XP service pack 3. I've tried doing the HP system recovery and also windows system restore but to no avail :( I haven't got the backup disks so I was wondering if there is anything else I can do besides buying new discs and totally wiping the computer? Thanks :D

NTLDR is the bootloader for XP, it could be saying that if it's trying to boot off a CD drive or some other underlying issue, such as the boot.ini file being misconfigured. Read this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks but XP is the only os that was ever installed on the pc so that troubleshooting won't help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You wouldn't need to buy new discs, you'd just need a loan for a repair.
    Can you access the recovery console from the HP tools? I think most factory installations have an i386 folder on the C or D drive which should have mostly the same stuff as an installation disc (+ extra branding).

For a normal installation, as far as I can remember, you need to have an XP disc to get the recovery console. You only need it to get to repair rather than a full license to install so it might be worth checking to see if a friend has a disc that you could borrow.

Advertisement