Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your attitude to the next gen?...

Options
2»

Comments

Chief_Jack wrote: »
    I hate you for having the money abilities to buy all consoles. I love you because your point is bang on and completely right.
    It's not that expensive if you wait until at least the first price drop. Hell there's usually enough games on the previous gen to almost keep one going until the hardware revision of the next gen.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I love when a new generation comes along. It means people start off loading the current gen and I get to add to collections for literally next to nothing.
    Not just people offloading, 25-30 quid new releases for a coupla years while the price of the new consoles come down. Depending on exactly how it works out I'll probably lag about 18 months behind on purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iMcdermottz

I've got to admit back a couple of years ago as a young child, I did like consoles... Hell even more the a computer!

Ever since last year i've gotten pretty big into pc-gaming and next generation will more likely be me on a computer and not the xbox "720" or ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

I think OUYA could end up being surprisingly popular, though I don't know if it could be counted as next gen really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's not really what happened at all. Sony was collaborating with Nintendo on a SNES add-on then Nintendo completely dicked over Sony by announcing they were developing a add-on with Philips, which never came out. Sony then developed the Playstation by themselves.
    Possibly, there were a handful of articles back in the day on it with different sides, but that's probably right.
    Nintendo didn't stick with cartridges because of less loading times and licensing fees (which wouldn't have went to Sony). Nintendo stayed with cartridges so they could control production over the carts and impose the same terrible restrictions on publishers that they had in effect since the NES period. It totally backfired on them since Sony offered a cheaper medium to manufacture their games on and more linient restrictions of publishers making it a far more attractive platform to develop for big and small developers not to mention the advantages the larger memory size gave.
    Ya, the cartridge thing is more complicated alright, but I still prefer them. A modern ROM would be perfect to slot in. Read speeds are the biggest advantage. It'll be interesting to see what MS do, as they won't go blu-ray, and DVD isn't enough anymore, and they can't really go download only.
    ROM chips have always been very expensive and it's only the advent of cheap flash memory that has seen them return. The disc drives may be more expensive but it's far outweighed by the advantages of disc media in cost and capacity. Also as long as you don't cheap out on your discs drives like Sony always do then they should last a good while, my Sega Saturn is still going strong while I've gone through 2 PS1's, 2 PS2's and have my fingers crossed I get lucky with my PS3 and PSP.
    It's remarkable alright how reliable they are when you consider what they're doing. They still suck as a media though, 10 years past the sell-by now I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what MS do, as they won't go blu-ray, and DVD isn't enough anymore, and they can't really go download only.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I have both the 360 and PS3, got the 360 at launch and the PS3 not long after its launch. 360 was great in the beginning and i spent most my time on it, but for a multitude of reasons including Microsoft's change of focus (and also the increasingly loud noises coming from the 360's disc drive) I've moved all my gaming over to the PS3. It just seems to be going from strength at the moment!

On topic: To be honest I'm happy with my hardware at the moment, I'm not particularly in a hurry to spend my money on new tech unless it is completely revolutionary (an not taking a dig here, but i don't mean revolutionary in the sense of the wii or wii u....). Particularly considering the standard of the new consoles is more than acceptable graphically, I'd much prefer their efforts were spent developing new games (not sequels) for them.

For the first time I really don't think i will be an early adopter of any new 'next gen' consoles, particularly Microsoft's when you look at what they have being suggesting.

For the first time also i am really considering moving to PC to get my gaming fix! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

CMpunked wrote: »
    Why not?
    They've hinted many times that they've no interest in blu-ray and keep reminding people that downloading and streaming are the way of the future for Entertainment, so I'd be very surprised if they end up with a blu-ray drive.
    Could be very wrong though, but I'd be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    They've hinted many times that they've no interest in blu-ray and keep reminding people that downloading and streaming are the way of the future for Entertainment, so I'd be very surprised if they end up with a blu-ray drive.
    Could be very wrong though, but I'd be surprised!
    this is true , all you need to think of is emerging markets, brazil and the likes, you can get broadband there , but that throws up a rake of issues

What if download limits are low in that country.
    What if they can barely affoard the console and cant affoard broadband etc.

The next generation will have a physical media device, in my opinion it would be silly for it not to be bluray as
    1.its a proven format for high def content.
    2. High storage capacity on the discs.
    3. It would give users another incentive to buy it knowing it covers them for a bluray player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Right I change my mind. After watching a couple of YouTube videos about Wii U I really want one. I'll probably hold onto the 360 as well though. Seriously the Wii U looks savage. That said doubt I'll get it at launch. I'll wait for a price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

this is true , all you need to think of is emerging markets, brazil and the likes, you can get broadband there , but that throws up a rake of issues

What if download limits are low in that country.
    What if they can barely affoard the console and cant affoard broadband etc.

The next generation will have a physical media device, in my opinion it would be silly for it not to be bluray as
    1.its a proven format for high def content.
    2. High storage capacity on the discs.
    3. It would give users another incentive to buy it knowing it covers them for a bluray player too.

True, but Microsoft did use the standard DVD format on the original Xbox, I think this gen was different simply because there wasn't an established HD format.
    However, traditionally Nintendo have largely avoided using 'the standard' media format each gen to reduce pirating. You have to wonder does the cost of such practice actually offset the cost of piracy though?

I don't think Microsoft, while obviously concerned about piracy would use another format, if that is the case though, they are cutting themselves off from people who might want to use their console as another Blu Ray player in the house as well. I suppose that didn't really hurt them much this gen though. :confused:

I reckon either way there will be a physical media format in all consoles next gen, there simply isn't a capable framework for digital only at the moment, at least not in all regions. And also considering Microsoft are keen to lure in the 'casual' market, I'd say physical media stores like gamestop etc is a big part of that market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think leaked docs have already confirmed the presence of blu-ray on the xbox 720 or whatever they call it.
    I'm in 2 minds about the xbox720/ps4.
    I like the idea of free multiplayer etc on the PS3 and the fact that I could play any movies including mkv etc on it...but the stupid fat32 limit mean those were limited to 4gb or less in size.
    The online xbox was far superior to Sony's offering plus the controller...without a doubt it's the most comfortable controller I've ever used.
    Why Sony refuse to change theirs is beyond me..I hate the bloody thing with a passion so it will prob boil down to whether they keep it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will definetly get all the consoles like this gen. However, might not pick them all up at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I've had all the past consoles and enjoyed them , I've been on the 360 for 6 years but have only been on a handfull of times since Christmas.
    Can't seem to get back into it.
    Really looking forward to the next gen consoles and what they have to offer.

Advertisement