Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on the law regarding dogs

• 02-07-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was on here a while ago asking for advise on how to handle a dog attack involving two terriors and my son .

Now again I need more advise on a similar issue.

There is a lady down the street who thinks it ok to keep her dog in an open car boot with out restraint.

This dog has went for me in two occasions . Barking and growling, charging at my ankles.

I have warned this lady if she continues to keep the dog unrestrained she will be braking the law.

She says the dog is just being territorial and she is safe, which to me is just BS as its still a dog with teeth out of control.

Im taking no sh1t this time around as my son plays in the area.

Can I have the dog taken away?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

unless it actually bites you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

So its not against the law to have dogs under control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Barking and growling, charging at my ankles.

The dog doesn't have to be restrained by law - it has to be under "effective control". That said if it's running/snapping outside of it's garden it's not under control and you can report it to the dog warden... who at best will come and have a word with the woman and possibly fine her if she doesn't have a license.
    Expecting the dog to be taken away is a bit much tbh. My dog barks the place down at strangers passing our garden and that suits me fine! The gate is closed of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You post is a little unclear as to what the situation is exactly OP but here is the relevant legislation which is enforceable by your local dog warden, you might be ringing them till you are blue in the face but if that's what is needed then so be it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/index.html

If the dog is running loose outside of the neighbours property you also have the option of taking it to the pound yourself as a stray, which is what it is if it's running loose in public unaccompanied. If she wants it back she'll have to pay the release fees to the pound, which is generally a big enough kick up the backside to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jessiesmom

you can buy a small spray tin in your local petshop of compressed air which makes a hissing sound which does frighten dogs off , i use it if im out for a walk with my two dogs , its up to the owner of the dog to keep her dog under control and not let it be a nuisance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

You post is a little unclear as to what the situation is exactly OP but here is the relevant legislation which is enforceable by your local dog warden, you might be ringing them till you are blue in the face but if that's what is needed then so be it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/index.html

If the dog is running loose outside of the neighbours property you also have the option of taking it to the pound yourself as a stray, which is what it is if it's running loose in public unaccompanied. If she wants it back she'll have to pay the release fees to the pound, which is generally a big enough kick up the backside to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The situation is this.

Im very wary of dogs after my sons last attack. Which was quite bad . I had tearful pleading owners begging me not to have the dog destroyed.
    I let the dog off. Under advise from this forum.

Same apartment but different residents now.

Public street. The dog goes for people while walking past the car or appartment . Not just barking. Charging . This is not acceptable in any way. I was quite frightened when this dog attacked me.

Wanting the dog taken away is my line of thought as I have had it up to my ears with dogs in this street . Either digging up my front garden and Dog dirt all over the place. Now they are attacking people. Again.

Why people think its ok to keep large dogs in one bedroom apartments is beyond me. Is it any wonder they go nut when let out.

That all seem like a rant. I know. But im well pissed off.

The warden is the way maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry OP, but you have no say in what happens to the dog or where it goes, all you can do is report it to the warden and it's then between them and the owner to decide between them what is to done about it. All you can do is report every single encounter you have with the dog. It's unlikely the dog would be removed after a first report as the owner will be given a chance to sort it out. If other people are also reporting it, that would also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - I know this is going to sound crazy - but would you consider attending some training on dog handling?
    No idea where you live but if around Dublin there are a few different groups.

I am suggesting this for a few reasons:
    1. Help you with your fear of dogs
    2. Help you read a dogs body language - a scared dog can look very like an aggressive dog (trust me I have a big 7st baby that terrifies people but she is actually the one in bits who I have to calm down after they leave).
    3. Training will give you a range of things you can do to gain control of a situation and to better identify a situation where you just need to get out of there.
    4. It could help just your own confidence and happiness - the unknown frightens us, the known well we can deal with that even if we don't like it all that much.

As I said a crazy idea - but please consider it. And if you do - attend at least 3 or 4 - the first few are bound to terrify you to bits if they have noisy dogs. Maybe start with puppies and then attend training for larger dogs.

(On a personal note - having a dog that appears to attack out of fear, just two weeks ago another dog owner lost control of his black lab cross that immediately charged for me - hackles raised, teeth bared. Without even thinking about it, thankfully as there was nowhere to go - I just started praising the dog and talking to it as I do to mine to calm her down - surprised the crap out of the dog as well as the owner - gave him a chance to get the lead back and move away. Never seen a grown man pee himself before - but it worked. Not saying this is the right approach at all - but I reacted on instinct and it worked for me this time - hope I never have to repeat it though, I nearly joined the owner in pee'dom) - just really more to show you that spending time around dogs in training can teach you how to behave to manage incidents like this.

Advertisement