Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait listed for on-campus living.. what now?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've just added my name to the wait list for living on campus. I'm number 244 on the wait list, and considering there are only 490 bed spaces available for my year (i'll be postgraduate masters student) I'm thinking my chances are pretty slim. Especially since I'm only interested and able to stay in Glenomena and maybe Proby, but I'm not sure on that. So, what do I do?

Should I start looking for an off-campus apartment? I should note that I am an international student and so I really don't want to sign a lease from my desk chair, for an apartment I've never seen myself.

Would any one recommend that I arrive in Dublin a week early to look for my own studio? Or are their other arangements I could look into. The UCD studentpad was extremely underwhelming and unhelpful, I though it'd be better for finding a place off-campus.

Thanks a lot. A PM would work fine as a response, as I have asked quite a few questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aurora2012

Hi,

Honestly, I think you should start to look for off-campus accommodation since most of the rooms were allocated 2 or 3 weeks ago and you're far down the waitlist... :/

UCD advises students to come 2 or 3 weeks before term starts to search for accommodation. I had a look at a few blogs created by formers international students in UCD and it appears to be realistic. And, of course, the latest you arrive, the hardest it will be to find something.

Also, before I got a room on-campus, I looked for apartments on websites like daft.ie and it looked easier to find a shared apartment/house than a studio.
    You can set up alerts on these websites which it's quite helpful.

You can find some information there (from page 33 of the file): http://issuu.com/advantagepointpromotions/docs/international_student_handbook_2012_a5_final_for_p

Good luck! :)

Advertisement