Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help building a rig

Options
  • 02-07-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I recently decided to buy a new computer. I have my own business so can justify the need for a new one - but if I'm being honest I really want a gaming rig for the home office/man cave. Sure I'll be using the likes of Excel/Word and doing some CMS when working from home but I want this to be able to handle anything I can throw at it at max settings. I'll primarily be playing MW, Civ5, BF2, Skyrim etc.. and whatever may catch my eye in the future.

I was actually going to order an Alienware M17x on Saturday, I specced it out with i7-3820QM and 32GB Ram, SSD, Bluray etc.. Then the website wouldn't work for me, I spent the best part of an hour trying to buy this thing (talk about impulsive buyer!) When I calmed down a little, I did a bit more research and realized I didn't really know what I needed - and that I would never bring that beast outside my house. So thats where you guys come in, hope you can point me in the right direction.

So apart from the above - what I really need clarification on would be:

i5 vs i7 - whats better for me? Light bit of work - mainly gaming.

GFX card - I want a somewhat 'future proof' set up, or at least very easily upgradeable

RAM - 32GB - is this massive overkill? Why would someone need this much? How much would I need given the above??

Also, breakdown here:

1. What is your budget? c. €2500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming.. MW, Civ5, BF2, Skyrim, Total War, DCS flightsims

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes - also, will I get a free/cheap update for Win8?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes - Preferably 2.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 2x 22? Would would be good for a flight sim set up?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not at the moment

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Next 2 weeks

Thanks for the help guys! Will post pics when I get her (whatever she may be!)

Comments

Advertisement