Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and "stoppers"

• 02-07-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I know this is a known issue in older estates where certain householders don't want the black UPC cable hanging from their homes; thereby stopping a lot of other homes getting UPC triple play.

Is there anyone here or anyone at all know of any plans UPC has for any work arounds in this regard; other than hoping the householder allows the cable to be put up.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Coming in the back of a house instead. Figure a way and get permission from all those who want it and most importantly from the house around whose back you must come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Coming in the back of a house instead.

Well, this has been done to an extent in my area, but obviously- there are still issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They went the other way around and dug a trench over our cul de sac to dodge my prïcks of neighbours. Tooks us years to get that done though...

ED E wrote: »
    They went the other way around and dug a trench over our cul de sac to dodge my prïcks of neighbours. Tooks us years to get that done though...

How did you go about getting that done?

Liamario wrote: »
    How did you go about getting that done?

Well, we called them several times to ask if there was any ETA, but I dont know if that had any bearing as a few months before they started working in our area an installation engineer called to say that they'd be doing our road and would need to get into our back garden to lay cables. He at least didnt know we were begging for years.

• Advertisement

So it seems it's mainly down to the financial justification on their end.
    This is something that has been mentioned to me by an engineer. The council charges far too much to dig up the road and thus UPC don't want to take the risk.

It's very frustrating :mad:

So it seems it's mainly down to the financial justification on their end.
    This is something that has been mentioned to me by an engineer. The council charges far too much to dig up the road and thus UPC don't want to take the risk.

It's very frustrating :mad:

Its also that its not worth the manhours in some cases. Like, with us they probably got less than ten houses connected and they had 4/5 lads working in the cul de sac for 4 days. Now they'll have us for a few years at 45E or w/e a month but thats not 45 profit. From their point of view the areas where they can do huge strings of houses a day is far more attractive.

ED E wrote: »
    Its also that its not worth the manhours in some cases. Like, with us they probably got less than ten houses connected and they had 4/5 lads working in the cul de sac for 4 days. Now they'll have us for a few years at 45E or w/e a month but thats not 45 profit. From their point of view the areas where they can do huge strings of houses a day is far more attractive.

There's not going to be much of that in mullingar in the future. There has been no new houses going up, so it's basically sections of the older estates that they need completely upgraded.

There's not going to be much of that in mullingar in the future. There has been no new houses going up, so it's basically sections of the older estates that they need completely upgraded.

We're houses that will built for soldiers after WW2 in the early fifties and most of the residents are ancient(they're dying fast though :S ) so its not hopeless.

I'm just looking online at prices of UPC compared to what I currently pay with multiple services.

I'd be saving nearly 40 quid a month if certain "neighbours" stopped being so selfish.

The service I could get with UPC would be cheaper and faster.
    It makes it even more frustrating when one of these neighbours calls to the house yesterday looking for €60 to mow the lawns in the estate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Haggle with them so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Mother in law was treated really badly by UPC customer support, still the case at the moment, they're still trying to charge her for service which she doesn't even have, sold her non existent debt on to a third party too. Then followed up a month later with another bill.
    She doesn't even have UPC now and hasn't for over a year yet they still send out invoices and still sell on her "debt". Bunch of absolute monkeys.

So in return, after all the retarded pissing about by UPC, the cable that runs around and on her house wall will blow down in the next windy weather.

Everyone in the area will be effected, it'll cost UPC a fortune to sort it out and she will NOT allow UPC cable near her house again.

So before you start lashing out at your neighbours, please understand people like my mother in law above have at times been driven to it by completely useless pricks in UPC customer service. Why the hell should she or others like her accommodate utter scumbags like those in UPC customer support who treated her and continue to treat her so badly ?

Fair play to her I say. I'd have ripped the cable off the wall myself long ago, then sent them an invoice for the labour involved.

Having had 3 different engineers and two polish installers in the house I have to say they've all been gents. I think you're taking one misunderstanding as commonplace. NTL was renowned for it useless support but UPC seem to be rather good.

Yep, their engineers are spot on, it's their retarded customer service monkeys and billing support inbreds that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

It makes it even more frustrating when one of these neighbours calls to the house yesterday looking for €60 to mow the lawns in the estate!!!

Bring it up at the residents association AGM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

I have the same problem with blockers.
    Have UPC tv (as landlord wont allow sky dishes) and i had a technical fault and called out the technicians. While they were there I asked why we cant get broadband whilst just about the rest of dun laoghaire bar a few houses like ours cant.
    He basically says we are capable because the cable runs directly over our house but needs to connect with the house opposite ours - so they seem to be a stopper.
    He did admit like oxo pointed out that the most common reason for people becoming 'stoppers' is because they have a grudge against UPC after being treated badly. So its not a one of- it seems to be the most common reason.
    On a side note he said UPC is one of the worst companies to work for as a technician, but there are so few jobs available they dont have a choice.

oxo_ wrote: »
    Mother in law was treated really badly by UPC customer support, still the case at the moment, they're still trying to charge her for service which she doesn't even have, sold her non existent debt on to a third party too. Then followed up a month later with another bill.
    She doesn't even have UPC now and hasn't for over a year yet they still send out invoices and still sell on her "debt". Bunch of absolute monkeys.

So in return, after all the retarded pissing about by UPC, the cable that runs around and on her house wall will blow down in the next windy weather.

Everyone in the area will be effected, it'll cost UPC a fortune to sort it out and she will NOT allow UPC cable near her house again.

So before you start lashing out at your neighbours, please understand people like my mother in law above have at times been driven to it by completely useless pricks in UPC customer service. Why the hell should she or others like her accommodate utter scumbags like those in UPC customer support who treated her and continue to treat her so badly ?

Fair play to her I say. I'd have ripped the cable off the wall myself long ago, then sent them an invoice for the labour involved.

Hold on for a second. You are using your mother in law's genuine excuse and applying it to every other stopper who block the cables.
    I know for a fact that there is one stopper in my area who just wants free UPC!; so not every stopper is a victim of bad customer service.

Also, blocking the cable going through her house is only going to block it for her neighbours. And while it does mess up UPC's plans, it will also cause her neighbours a fortune by having to use alternative services!

Hold on for a second. You are using your mother in law's genuine excuse and applying it to every other stopper who block the cables.
    I know for a fact that there is one stopper in my area who just wants free UPC!; so not every stopper is a victim of bad customer service.

Also, blocking the cable going through her house is only going to block it for her neighbours. And while it does mess up UPC's plans, it will also cause her neighbours a fortune by having to use alternative services!

So no matter how much crap a person has gone trough with UPC customer service scum, it doesn't matter, so long as you have your internets...

Where did the word stopper come from anyway but from UPC themselves spreading lies to deflect away from their own disgracful behaviour toward those customers in the first place.

Her house, she has a right to tell UPC to FO and get their cables off her house. If they weren't such horrible bastards toward her in the first place she wouldn't have minded at all. Their fault, not hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So no matter how much crap a person has gone trough with UPC customer service scum, it doesn't matter, so long as you have your internets...

Where did the word stopper come from anyway but from UPC themselves spreading lies to deflect away from their own disgracful behaviour toward those customers in the first place.

Her house, she has a right to tell UPC to FO and get their cables off her house. If they weren't such horrible bastards toward her in the first place she wouldn't have minded at all. Their fault, not hers.

but yet it's her neighbours who are being directly affected...

^^ typical Irish sign of the times to be honest.

"I don't care how much others have suffered, I want my internets"

UPC are well able to go around or provide alternative routes to "begruding neighbours" who might be effected but no, let's take UPC shilling PR spin and blame the person who was well within their rights to tell UPC to piss off with their cables...

I mean, how dare customers demand anything from such a wonderful company with such amazing customer and billing support :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As I've said OXO, the decision of your mother in law is understandable. But she is doing more damage to her neighbour's finances than UPCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I know this is a known issue in older estates where certain householders don't want the black UPC cable hanging from their homes; thereby stopping a lot of other homes getting UPC triple play.

Is there anyone here or anyone at all know of any plans UPC has for any work arounds in this regard; other than hoping the householder allows the cable to be put up.

Thanks

What exactly is stopping UPC from going around the people who for whatever reason would rather not have a useless black cable attached to their property? Are they shy a few bob? Or are they hoping people like you will pressurise their hapless neighbours, so they can save a few cents

Onikage wrote: »
    What exactly is stopping UPC from going around the people who for whatever reason would rather not have a useless black cable attached to their property? Are they shy a few bob?

Some people making ridiculous demands (free everything for life) and some people just don't want thick black cables hanging from their homes (which is understandable).

So UPC either ignore the remaining houses or pay the local council ridiculous fees to dig up the roads and lay cables.

In any case, I was hoping someone UPC related might be able to give some incite as to what, if any plans UPC has to rectify the problem; especially when you consider Eircom is rolling out fibre.

In any case, I was hoping someone UPC related might be able to give some incite as to what, if any plans UPC has to rectify the problem; especially when you consider Eircom is rolling out fibre.

I have UPC myself, I think it's wonderful, I think their customer support is a pisstake but their internets are greats. My own UPC comes in underground rather than via any cables on the house externally other than a little box outside at ground level near the gas meter.

Sooner or later they're going to have to address the stupid cabling on houses, regardless of people wanting it there or not, it looks dreadful.

Why are the Council(s) charging for the work anyway ? Can UPC not do the underground stuff themselves ? Or is it some nepotistic scam that the council workers absolutely must be involved to do the work ? Or do they just charge UPC the privilege of having the option of digging up the road in the first place ?

I don't understand why it's so costly is all, or if its costly at all. Where are the costs coming from and how are those costs justified ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Sadly unlikely to trouble UPC. If sky+fibre was available everywhere UPC is, they would be far more accommodating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sooner or later they're going to have to address the stupid cabling on houses, regardless of people wanting it there or not, it looks dreadful.
    I don't understand why it's so costly is all, or if its costly at all. Where are the costs coming from and how are those costs justified ?
    Sure and that cost will be taken by the local user at the end of the day.

To give you an idea I was involved in putting down fibre for a community of a around a hundred houses. One main fibre was pulled through the estate and everyone had to dig the house to central cable piece themselves through their own garden. The cost of participation was ~1.2k EUR per household (for the central cable, the local digging costs not included) on top of the monthly fees etc. Are you willing to pay the cost to have it dug down along with everyone else in your estate? If not expect to keep on seeing it sitting on the houses around you for a long time to come.

^^ typical Irish sign of the times to be honest.

"I don't care how much others have suffered, I want my internets"

UPC are well able to go around or provide alternative routes to "begruding neighbours" who might be effected but no, let's take UPC shilling PR spin and blame the person who was well within their rights to tell UPC to piss off with their cables...

I mean, how dare customers demand anything from such a wonderful company with such amazing customer and billing support :rolleyes:

OXO, myself and 5 neighbours can not get bb, phone or on deamand services becuase the house down the road won't let them past. there is no alterntive route and digging up the road is not fincially viabel for only 6 houses.

UPC aren't going to lose sleep over it. in the meant time my only other bb option is a max of 5mb with eircom. for a higher price than 50mb with UPC. all other houses in th estate can get full UPC services.

Onikage wrote: »
    Sadly unlikely to trouble UPC. If sky+fibre was available everywhere UPC is, they would be far more accommodating.

sky fibre will never be available in Ireland. they don't invest in the local economy. UPC are fullt committed to investing in infrastructure in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oxo, your attitude is a disgrace. You think its alright to cut services to all of your neighbours just because you would have an issue with a service provider (i know its not you but a family member)

But that is a ridiculous thing to do to your neighbours whom have done you no wrong. If you lived next to me and cut down my services youd find yourself without electricity the next day. Why? because i didnt like the way the ESB lad looked at me the other day.

Will you get over yourself, If you speak to the right departments with the company you will get your issue resolved. Leave the innocents next door alone.

• Advertisement

This is something TD's could actually do something about. UPC generally only need to dig a trench the width of one house, which isnt a huge job(getting frech cement is the costly bit I'd wager) but council fees are prohibitive.

Board gais have dug up the main road outside our house maybe a dozen times in the last five years trying to find a leak, I hardly think they're paying the council for the pleasure.

Surely, ISPs could be waived from them nationally?

Advertisement