Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and "stoppers"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

listermint wrote: »
    Oxo, your attitude is a disgrace. You think its alright to cut services to all of your neighbours just because you would have an issue with a service provider (i know its not you but a family member)

But that is a ridiculous thing to do to your neighbours whom have done you no wrong. If you lived next to me and cut down my services youd find yourself without electricity the next day. Why? because i didnt like the way the ESB lad looked at me the other day.

Will you get over yourself, If you speak to the right departments with the company you will get your issue resolved. Leave the innocents next door alone.

With respect it's UPC's responsibility, and UPC's responsibility alone, to provide service to his neighbours.

His mother-in-law is under no such obligation. She has no incentive to have an ugly cable attached to the house, or a trench dug and cable laid through her property - these things can have an impact on the house/property price.

Her neighbours are giving her nothing for allowing this cable to be installed, and I wonder if UPC are giving her any compensation either.

Blame the town/city planners, or your councillors, or your TDs for the lack of forward planning. But it's a bit harsh to blame this woman for not bending over backwards to accommodate a company with which she's had a very negative experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

who_me wrote: »
    Blame the town/city planners, or your councillors, or your TDs for the lack of forward planning. But it's a bit harsh to blame this woman for not bending over backwards to accommodate a company with which she's had a very negative experience.

Pfff, if it was a recent development then they'd be pre-wired for cable.

These houses are all in areas that were developed when there was barely copper phone cables, if even! Its nothing to do with planning.

ED E wrote: »
    Pfff, if it was a recent development then they'd be pre-wired for cable.

These houses are all in areas that were developed when there was barely copper phone cables, if even! Its nothing to do with planning.

Fair enough. "Old World problems" as our American friends might say. ;)

It's still not that woman's fault though.

If I was her neighbour I'd give her an earful I can tell you, but we're getting a little focused on one case I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

listermint wrote: »
    Oxo, your attitude is a disgrace. You think its alright to cut services to all of your neighbours just because you would have an issue with a service provider (i know its not you but a family member)

But that is a ridiculous thing to do to your neighbours whom have done you no wrong. If you lived next to me and cut down my services youd find yourself without electricity the next day. Why? because i didnt like the way the ESB lad looked at me the other day.

Will you get over yourself, If you speak to the right departments with the company you will get your issue resolved. Leave the innocents next door alone.

Who_Me replied and I've nothing further to add really, his reply was spot on.

However, your attitude and your kind I've very little time for anyway, you're the kind of people with your selfish me me me attitudes who ruined this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

If I was her neighbour I'd give her an earful I can tell you, but we're getting a little focused on one case I think.

Yeah, and you'd get a lot more than an earful back I can tell you.

If I were her neighbour, I'd be annoyed too. But I certainly wouldn't have a go at her. It's a bit cheeky demanding something for nothing from her.

If I were in her position, I'd be happy to help out, if it cost me nothing. But if it meant an ugly cable up the side of my house, or a trench being dug across my land, I'd be very reluctant to do it for anyone - even if the service was for me and not my neighbours! I can't say I'd feel too bad about it either.

UPC are accommodating like. They ran our old cable(we had really old cables that were tv capable only) along the back wall of the plot where its not visable then up a tree to the next house. If you're willing to work with them you can work something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

So people would rather pay extortionate fees to Eircom for sub par services then let UPC run a single cable under their gutter or in a way that it won't even be seen?fecking ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

UPC are accommodating like. They ran our old cable(we had really old cables that were tv capable only) along the back wall of the plot where its not visable then up a tree to the next house. If you're willing to work with them you can work something out.

That is not everyone's experience, and was certainly not true in the bad old Chorus days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Had a chat with the neighbour explained how there costing us money and limiting us to 1/20 th of the speed we could get.

Agreed to let the cables pass and UPC hooked us up the following day.Sweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nice one Ted, I reckon that if UPC provided you with a selection of 'before and after' photos showing clean jobs that neighbours would be more chilled out about allowing them access.

Lots of people have bad memories, particularly of the horror that was Chorus. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Would be worth Eircom's while giving people at strategic locations free phone for life to become "stopers" of UPC's service at stratigic locations.
    I haven't heard of it happening. Wonder would it be illigal tho?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bricks wrote: »
    Would be worth Eircom's while giving people at strategic locations free phone for life to become "stopers" of UPC's service at stratigic locations.
    I haven't heard of it happening. Wonder would it be illigal tho?

That would be seen as trying to create a monopoly (which eircom had/still have and we don't want again), like eircoms free meteor calls a few years back it wouldn't happen and if it did it would be stopped very quickly and rightly so

Do you like coming up with ways that eircom can keep a monopoly in Ireland?

Advertisement