Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving work for college

Options
  • 02-07-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right area but mods feel free to move. I'm 24 and am working full time. Now I've paid of my loans etc.. I'd like to train towards a new career. The course I want to do is full time but what I want to know is if I leave my job to do the course will I be entitled to a grant? I mean how do I get by money wise if I leave my job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

neddynono wrote: »
    Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right area but mods feel free to move. I'm 24 and am working full time. Now I've paid of my loans etc.. I'd like to train towards a new career. The course I want to do is full time but what I want to know is if I leave my job to do the course will I be entitled to a grant? I mean how do I get by money wise if I leave my job?
    I applied for a grant and got it so its defo possible, revenue will also give you tax back if your returing to full time education its a p50 but you can only get it back if you dont work until after 31st december

have a read i got a few grand back http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/circumstances/student.html#section4

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Thanks for that. Can I apply for a grant before I quit my job? That way if I don't get the grant I won't leave my job.:p

Can anyone answer this? Can I apply for a grant while still working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

You have two choices

Choice one (what i did): Go straight from work into college and watch your friends claim the back to education allowance.

Choice two (what I should have done): Leave work, sign on and then claim the back to education allowance.

Life would be so much easier for me now.

I thought about that but you need to be out of work for over 6 months to quality afaik. The course I want starts in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Dont quote me on it but ive been told exceptions can be made, although September is not very far away. If its a four year course id put it off a year if i was starting afresh. 6 month's of being on the dole is nothing compared to 4 years of having a regular income (€188 is a huge amount of money compared to the zero i have coming in each week).

It's a one year course which links to a four year. I don't even know who to email to get an answer to this question.

Advertisement