Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Baby on Board" sign in cars

• 02-07-2012 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Good evening!

Just wondering if I imagine it, or are those signs getting more popular? I can't think of a day when I haven't had an annoying person driving in front of me with this annoying sign at the rear window.
    What's the point of it anyway? What difference does it make to announce to the world that you (sometimes) have a child in the car? Do people want to be applauded? Do they want me to pull over and smash into someone else's car in case they perform an emergency breaking, because they have a miniature human in there? Are they more important than others?

There are even escalations of this nonsense reading "princess on board" etc. Seriously..I rather get an urge to run my car into their boot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's to alert paramedics and other emergency service personnel to infants being in the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

People are getting seriously over protective about their babies, it's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I always thought they were to alert the rest of the world of a smug parent driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

It's a round about way for people to say "I had sex!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

It's to alert paramedics and other emergency service personnel to infants being in the vehicle.
    I'd like to think that was the case, but the same people who put up these signs often spend more time making sure the sign is secure than the baby. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think they are being trolls and actually want you to kill them:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They are "Special Offer" signs for Paedophiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its always better when taken literally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Good evening!

Just wondering if I imagine it, or are those signs getting more popular? I can't think of a day when I haven't had an annoying person driving in front of me with this annoying sign at the rear window.
    What's the point of it anyway? What difference does it make to announce to the world that you (sometimes) have a child in the car? Do people want to be applauded? Do they want me to pull over and smash into someone else's car in case they perform an emergency breaking, because they have a miniature human in there? Are they more important than others?

There are even escalations of this nonsense reading "princess on board" etc. Seriously..I rather get an urge to run my car into their boot.

You obviously don't have kids then...so your only logic is to want to kill parents/and children....

Someone has Issues... you're probably just stuck with pam and her 5 sisters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Duh. It's a Simpsons reference...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There really also should be a sign in answer to that that says : "Well then don't drive like a knob!!!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Normally seen on 4 x 4s being driven so badly you're assuming a one-eyed twitchy midget with anger issues it at the wheel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Ahh the anxious faced, balloon carrying, non toxic crayon, snot rag toting brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think there should be a slow lane just for babies and parents same in the shops or better still shops that don't allow kids under the age of 13yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Never had one for our first born, who rather amazingly has made it to 9 years of age without the protection this amazing piece of cardboard offers.

Don`t plan on putting one up now we have a 6 month old.

Pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I once saw a similarly-styled sign saying "Mother-in-law in boot"
    Much more entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

These signs are not such a great idea if an infanticidal maniac happens to be in the car behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Good evening!

Here's a question - when you see a sign on a vehicle saying "vehicle on tow" or "speed limited vehicle" or "wide load"....do you think they are bragging as well?? Do you feel like running your car into them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'll play devils advocate here then.
    Imagine a Sunday when the parents are bringing little Timmmmy to the grand parents house at a pleasant speed of 35km/h.
    Then you're tearing back from your girlfriends house doing 90km/h because she delayed you and the match has already started and the rest of your friends are in the pub. You're tailgating everyone so they get the **** out of the way.
    Then you see there's a little princess on boards, and you just slow down and think, awww.

That's right, Timmmmy the little princess:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

People often reveal a lot about their inner demons when they post on boards. If you look at those signs and you immediately think "smug parent" then you obviously have some insecurities about parenthood.

When I see the signs I cut the driver some slack, for example, if they take a bit of extra time taking off from the traffic lights I don't honk at them and risk waking a sleeping baby. They are also practical for safety reasons. If there is a problem with the baby the driver will naturally be distracted. The sign is advanced warning for such possibilities.

Ireland has the highest number of prats and bad drivers on the roads in Western Europe. I'm not surprised that many people don't understand the point of those signs.

In fact when Irish people are driving abroad they should be required to put up a sign "Irish person driving." It will give everyone else the chance to react to the erratic Irish driving that is caused by clouds of begrudgery and self-righteousness that descend over the giant Irish head when it is placed behind a steering wheel.

• Advertisement

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    People often reveal a lot about their inner demons when they post on boards. If you look at those signs and you immediately think "smug parent" then you obviously have some insecurities about parenthood.

When I see the signs I cut the driver some slack, for example, if they take a bit of extra time taking off from the traffic lights I don't honk at them and risk waking a sleeping baby. They are also practical for safety reasons. If there is a problem with the baby the driver will naturally be distracted. The sign is advanced warning for such possibilities.

Ireland has the highest number of prats and bad drivers on the roads in Western Europe. I'm not surprised that many people don't understand the point of those signs.

In fact when Irish people are driving abroad they should be required to put up a sign "Irish person driving." It will give everyone else the chance to react to the erratic Irish driving that is caused by clouds of begrudgery and self-righteousness that descend over the giant Irish head when it is placed behind a steering wheel.

I can't thank you twice so I'm going to find another post of yours and thank that.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I tend to get more pissed off with signs that say "don't bend the rules, rule the bends" or "no fear".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Its similar to L stickers.. To let you know why the person in front is driving so slowly..

Personally i'm like driving miss daisy when i've kids in the car, and fück anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Clearly a proud "Baby on board" driver!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's a way to say "I have a baby in the car, so please be patient if I'm not driving fast enough for you... Now back the fúck off"

I don't understand why people get such a hair across their arses over these signs..

Sake.

And no, I don't have one up.. but seeing others sporting them doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I once saw a focus with massive writing across the back window saying "Fúck the police" and had a hand raising it's middle finger bobbling around too.

wonder how often he gets pulled over and then complains about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Nothing round about about it, It means, I had sex, my mickey / flaps work and I produced child....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Sacred_git wrote: »
    Clearly a proud "Baby on board" driver!

That would be quite strange considering I've no kids.

I'm just not a prat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Half the time a sign saying "Illegitimate Brat" would be a more fitting description.

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »
    Half the time a sign saying "Illegitimate Brat" would be a more fitting description.
    Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I tend to get more pissed off with signs that say "don't bend the rules, rule the bends" or "no fear".

Or some ****box "Powered By The Dole".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

On the "No Fear"sticker, I once saw a "No Power" sticker on the back of a Fiat Uno!!

Until I had kids, I used to get annoyed with others with kids who caused a racket/ took longer in the queues, drove slowly etc. Now, I couldn't give a ****e what others think. After all, we were all screaming, snot-nosed babies at one stage or another, whether or not we're now acting all grown up on the interweb....it's not my fault if you're a jaffa:pac:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tbh wrote: »
    Here's a question - when you see a sign on a vehicle saying "vehicle on tow" or "speed limited vehicle" or "wide load"....do you think they are bragging as well?? Do you feel like running your car into them?

they actually serve a purpose to those sharing the road with the owner of the vehicle in question though. telling people there's a baby in the car does what exactly? having a baby in a car and not having a baby in a car should impact everyone else on the road in the exact same way, which is clearly no way at all

If there is a problem with the baby the driver will naturally be distracted. The sign is advanced warning for such possibilities.

if there's a problem with the baby the driver should get off the road as quickly as possible

though i do see your point, i just think that perhaps the sign should be changed from "baby on board" to "inconsiderate, ignorant, unsafe driver in command"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

And will probably never get it anymore.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »

they actually serve a purpose to those sharing the road with the owner of the vehicle in question though. telling people there's a baby in the car does what exactly? having a baby in a car and not having a baby in a car should impact everyone else on the road in the exact same way, which is clearly no way at all
    Imagine there's a bad crash & the occupants are unconscious or dead. Emergency services obviously can't ask them if there was anyone else in the car, well they could but they may not get an answer.
    One of those signs will alert them that there may have been a baby in the car that got flung through the window so they can then search for said baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we are in a recession, people stay indoors more plus the winter before the last one was freezing hence why there are so many 'snow babies', my son being one of them

Imagine there's a bad crash & the occupants are unconscious or dead. Emergency services obviously can't ask them if there was anyone else in the car, well they could but they may not get an answer.
    One of those signs will alert them that there may have been a baby in the car that got flung through the window so they can then search for said baby.

which would be grand if people ONLY had those signs up while kids were in the car. most of the time cars with those signs dont actually have kids in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There should be stickers saying "We've been trying for a baby for twenty years without success, so we gave up and bought a dog and it's on board".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I see you point but what if there is no baby on that particular day, a lot of searching for no reason.
    Should we have stickers that say people on board and the same rule apply if there is an accident, search for other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

hondasam wrote: »
    I think there should be a slow lane just for babies and parents same in the shops or better still shops that don't allow kids under the age of 13yrs.

Agree 100%. Would go so far as to say one day a week shopping centres should be child free. Sunday's. Spend the day with your children enjoying family pursuits, don't drag them round the shops, they clearly don't enjoy it!

they actually serve a purpose to those sharing the road with the owner of the vehicle in question though. telling people there's a baby in the car does what exactly?
    It says "this is as fast as I'm going to be going" - exactly like those other signs do.

It says "this is as fast as I'm going to be going" - exactly like those other signs do.

i think you need to read up on what those other signs mean before you take to the roads again there chief

which would be grand if people ONLY had those signs up while kids were in the car. most of the time cars with those signs dont actually have kids in them
    Who is going to remember to put the sign up every time?
    It's easier to leave it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I agree with Helix a bit. Surely there's nothing that can happen with a baby that should distract you from driving. I would really like to think that if someone has a BoB sticker up they're smart enough to have gotten a decent seat/cradle for the child, have had it properly installed and have strapped the child in safely. So really there shouldn't be anything to worry about that could cause eratic driving. If the baby does need something then you can pull over in a safe manner. The only thing I can imagine that would need immediate attention is if the child is choking on gawk and even then a driver shouldn't do anything until they've pulled over.

A "Demon Toddler On Board" sign makes far more sense than a Baby on Board sign because toddlers are actually able to cause mayhem. For the person in the car and for following cars.

do you honestly fecking think that the emergency services are only going to look for additional passengers because of that sign? or that if they see that sign they'll spend more time searching? or if they don't see that sign they'll spend less time searching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Think the Australians were the first to put them on their cars as cars where going into swamps and the likes and when they rescue unconscious people later finding out that there was a child there aswell
    Not 100% tho
    It's great idea

hondasam wrote: »

I see you point but what if there is no baby on that particular day, a lot of searching for no reason.
    Should we have stickers that say people on board and the same rule apply if there is an accident, search for other people.
    Ah here. It's a sign.
    I honestly couldn't care less if they have a baby on board sign hanging up or a photo of baby Jesus in the crib. Their car, their child, their decision to do whatever it is they want.
    No one has to like it but it is their possession to do what they want.

do you honestly fecking think that the emergency services are only going to look for additional passengers because of that sign? or that if they see that sign they'll spend more time searching? or if they don't see that sign they'll spend less time searching?
    See my post directly above.
    At this stage I honestly couldnt give a flying fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Good evening!

As long as they're not in the outside lane of the Tallaght bypass doing 60kph all the way to Jobstown it's not a problem. If they are guilty of that and have a sat-nav as well they shouldn't be encouraged to have children. (Not an advocate of Eugenics)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement