Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Baby on Board" sign in cars

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

tbh wrote: »
    It says "this is as fast as I'm going to be going" - exactly like those other signs do.

I sincerely hope that you are not driving, because you clearly don't understand the rules of the road. You cannot just drive the speed you decide to go, whatever the reason. Driving too slowly can be dangerous as well, but it seems that everyone just panics about speeding.

These signs are not intended to alert emergency services of a baby in the backseat, or else they'd be obligatory. It's just ridiculous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I don't have a car. Can I put one of these signs on my motorcycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't have a car. Can I put one of these signs on my motorcycle?

Only if you strap a cradle on with bungee ties and put a realistic looking doll in it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I sincerely hope that you are not driving, because you clearly don't understand the rules of the road. You cannot just drive the speed you decide to go, whatever the reason. Driving too slowly can be dangerous as well, but it seems that everyone just panics about speeding.

I might also point out that Speed Limits are "Limits", not "Targets".

But it's a fair point, driving too slowly is also dangerous but that's not to say that all drivers must drive at the Speed Limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It says "this is as fast as I'm going to be going" - exactly like those other signs do.

These signs are not intended to alert emergency services of a baby in the backseat, or else they'd be obligatory. It's just ridiculous...

Blah blah blah blah. I'm the one explaining that I display a baby on board sign to let other road users know I'm going to be driving more slowly than I normally would . You're the one starting threads saying the signs make you so angry you feel like driving your car into my boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They have signs for everything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Blah blah blah blah. I'm the one explaining that I display a baby on board sign to let other road users know I'm going to be driving more slowly than I normally would . You're the one starting threads saying the signs make you so angry you feel like driving your car into my boot.

Yes, I feel an urge to crash directly into YOUR boot. Don't we love people who have to take every sentence as personally as possible ;)

If, in a normal traffic situation, you drive slower than the average traffic and the speed limit you are simply as bad driver and should maybe go to driving school again. Since you surely don't have time for this I will help you a bit:

"Avoid driving too slowly In normal road and traffic conditions, keep up with the pace of the traffic flow while obeying the speed limit. While you must keep a safe distance away from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your vehicle unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk frustrating other drivers, which could lead to dangerous overtaking"

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_2-second-rule.html

It's such a pity that the RSA homepage doesn't include a baby on board chapter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The amount of cars you seen with those accursed signs that are driven by dangerous drivers.

Tailgaters and Speeders with those signs should improve their own driving. Their baby is far more likely to be injured by their own actions than by those of the drivers to whom they pontificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Yes, I feel an urge to crash directly into YOUR boot. Don't we love people who have to take every sentence as personally as possible ;)

If, in a normal traffic situation, you drive slower than the average traffic and the speed limit you are simply as bad driver and should maybe go to driving school again. Since you surely don't have time for this I will help you a bit:

"Avoid driving too slowly In normal road and traffic conditions, keep up with the pace of the traffic flow while obeying the speed limit. While you must keep a safe distance away from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your vehicle unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk frustrating other drivers, which could lead to dangerous overtaking"

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_2-second-rule.html

It's such a pity that the RSA homepage doesn't include a baby on board chapter though.

Thank you for your critique of my driving - you'll understand why I'd disregard your opinion entirely, however. If you don't, just take a look at your opening post again. The things that annoy you! You'll give yourself an ulcer if you're not careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

They have signs for everything!!

Well, not everything: I've yet to see this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Imagine there's a bad crash & the occupants are unconscious or dead. Emergency services obviously can't ask them if there was anyone else in the car, well they could but they may not get an answer.
    One of those signs will alert them that there may have been a baby in the car that got flung through the window so they can then search for said baby.

But that doesn't make any sense. If there's been a crash, and the emergency services can't see whether or not there was a baby seat in the car, it'll be because it was crushed in, and I highly doubt there'd be many situations that this would happen, without the back window being damaged too.

I don't get really annoyed over the signs, but no I don't see the point of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

eV3VJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Its the smug parent reason for being a dick
    Kinda like the look on their faces when my mum and I are getting out of the car. My mum always said that she is using them now as she didn't have them when I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

For me, (speaking as a non-parent), the signs are perfectly justified for the reasons given by some posters above; namely, to indicate to other drivers that there is a baby, perhaps have a whit of extra tolerance, maybe cut the driver a little extra slack etc. If you don't think this is a reasonable or tolerable request, you are quite free to ignore the sign and just continue being another obnoxious driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Thank you internet for making it possible for people to argue over the most mundane of things.

Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Good evening!

Just wondering if I imagine it, or are those signs getting more popular? I can't think of a day when I haven't had an annoying person driving in front of me with this annoying sign at the rear window.
    What's the point of it anyway? What difference does it make to announce to the world that you (sometimes) have a child in the car? Do people want to be applauded? Do they want me to pull over and smash into someone else's car in case they perform an emergency breaking, because they have a miniature human in there? Are they more important than others?

There are even escalations of this nonsense reading "princess on board" etc. Seriously..I rather get an urge to run my car into their boot.

just pass them out to f***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's a round about way for people to say "I had sex!"

Depending on how faded or fresh the sign is it could mean "I had sex ,but now have a baby instead "

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Either you ðrive according to the rules or you don't. Unitil BoB is an actual traffic sign it should be ignored and whoever is in the car shoud be expected to follow the same rules as anybody else. If they can't they shoud look into taking up cycling or leaving their children at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

xzanti wrote: »
    It's a way to say "I have a baby in the car, so please be patient if I'm not driving fast enough for you... Now back the fúck off"

I don't understand why people get such a hair across their arses over these signs..

Sake.

And no, I don't have one up.. but seeing others sporting them doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    coud people driving up behind and beeping the horn like they have horn tourettes be anything to do with it as well? as in,beeping it because the child might be asleep, the niece [just over one] can be a difficult madam to get to sleep in the car.

people can be very judgemental of others about absolutely anything!! when they havent got a clue about the person,their life,what they think and how things are for them- being certain that people who use those baby on board stickers think one way or another is using pyschological projection on them,it projecting own thoughts onto someone else otherwise how else will know why they are using them unless we are all a species full of mystic megs.

look how many assume people on any sort of benefit are just lazy money grabbers, single mothers are only in it for the money and dont care about the kids,gypsies all cause trouble,fat people eat to much,thin people eat to little and so on.

not specificaly speaking about this topic at hand but have always noticed one returning pattern on forums; many of the people who complain about all of these groups feel they are entitled something because other groups get different things to them; and because they dont get access to them [itd help if they have the need and not want] they throw a hissy fit usualy refering to them as over priviledged,using themselves as a reference for the poor unsupported under priviledged and spreading slurry on the innocent group.
    go bawwwww some more on far right sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I was in a car accident (we were stopped at a red traffic light), smashed into by a guy in a big car with two or more passengers, from behind, the guy then drove off (across the border, as it turns out). We were ok (the driver & I), apart from shock, the car worse for wear.

Now that I am a parent, although I rarely think about that accident, I do hope that something like that will never happen again, especially if my daughter was in the back seat, even if she is safe in her baby/toddler seat, & figure that anything I can do to maybe wake up someone who isn't paying attention or in their right mind or whatever, anything I can do to lessen the chance of a smash happening, is worth it.

Also, as a motorist, I like lots of information about my surroundings on the road, so I've no problem with a sign that says baby on board, much as I've no problem with someone putting on hazard lights to signal a difficulty, 'long vehicle' signs, flashing lights indicating that a vehicle is something like a tow-truck, learner driver signs, signs indicating that the motorist is not Irish (used to perhaps driving on the other side of the road), etc.

I just wish there was a sign for pr!cks who've got a problem with 'baby on board' signs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Well if baby on board stickers lessen the chance of an impact, then maybe everybody should use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Good evening!

Just wondering if I imagine it, or are those signs getting more popular? I can't think of a day when I haven't had an annoying person driving in front of me with this annoying sign at the rear window.
    What's the point of it anyway? What difference does it make to announce to the world that you (sometimes) have a child in the car? Do people want to be applauded? Do they want me to pull over and smash into someone else's car in case they perform an emergency breaking, because they have a miniature human in there? Are they more important than others?

There are even escalations of this nonsense reading "princess on board" etc. Seriously..I rather get an urge to run my car into their boot.
    People are getting seriously over protective about their babies, it's pathetic.
    I always thought they were to alert the rest of the world of a smug parent driver
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    I think they are being trolls and actually want you to kill them
    Senna wrote: »
    They are "Special Offer" signs for Paedophiles

Reading posts like this, even if they are sick "jokes", and seeing the amount of "thanks" they've recieved....has me convinced. This forum is infiltrated with some serious loopers.

Absoloute wierdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

Like all new parents, they want exceptions to be made for them.

They want to be allowed drive terribly under the excuse that they're being distracted by children.
    They want to park illegally just so that little Johnny doesn't have to use his legs and walk a few metres into the school.
    They want their own spaces in car parks respected so that their journey into the shop is shorter than non-parents.

They can f**k themselves as far as I'm concerned. Having kids is your choice to make and should only affect your life and I certainly won't forfeit things such as parking spaces for the lifestyle choices of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Baby on board sign might have saved this gobshytes life

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0416/man-to-be-sentenced-over-road-rage-case.html :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Like all new parents, they want exceptions to be made for them.

They want to be allowed drive terribly under the excuse that they're being distracted by children.
    They want to park illegally just so that little Johnny doesn't have to use his legs and walk a few metres into the school.
    They want their own spaces in car parks respected so that their journey into the shop is shorter than non-parents.

They can f**k themselves as far as I'm concerned. Having kids is your choice to make and should only affect your life and I certainly won't forfeit things such as parking spaces for the lifestyle choices of others.

Fine, I just wish you'd wear a badge indicating your attitude... so that if I ever see you in a difficult &/or dangerous situation, I can have a good laugh while doing nothing to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Children are an absolute joy - if parents want to display "baby on board" signs as either an expression of that joy or as a warning to other drivers, then that's perfectly fine.

The "princess on board" type signs are a tad over the top, but if you are the type of person who lets that annoy you up to the point where you feel like you want to ram your car into their boot, then you have to stop & ask yourself the question...

...are they really the problem, or am I just a fucking psychopath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CK75

One of my friends has "Baby on Board" and "Child on Board" stickers on his rear window.

I have nothing against it at all, each to their own etc etc.

But I dont know how he can see through that rear window when he's reversing....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A grumpy aside, but the parent and child parking in my local supermarket is closer to the door than the disabled parking. I just about had a brain aneurysm when I saw that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The parent and child parking spaces, unlike the disabled spaces, are not legally enforced so anyone can park in those spaces. The former should never be closer to the supermarket doors than the latter IMO.

I have no problem with baby on board rear window stickers but I do think that people are becoming over-protective of their children - to a ridiculous degree in some cases - and it will not end up doing the children much good at all in later life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some of you need to get out more.

Seriously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement