Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA County Logo copyrights

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Got some good advice on pricing here (thanks)... I have that issue sorted.. But watching the GAA over the weekend just got me thinking about printing the GAA Logos on a few of my existing products... I know that they recently designed their own logos for each county (so that they would own full copyright) I'm going to ring the county boards to find out what the story is, but does anybody have any idea of what I should expect..?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The GAA are very strict with their IP and it's usage commercially so I would imagine it will be something similar with usage of county crests. You would probably be better off ringing their commercial department rather than the county board to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP I'd say you need advice from an expert in licensing and the licensing of brands in particular.

I suppose the thing you have to ask yourself is how much a GAA crest will add value to your product. So if you have a polo neck shirt for sale and you sell 100 a year then ask yourself how many extra would you sell if it had a county logo on it- how much more desirable will that make the polo neck vis a vis other offerings in the market and to what extent will it translate into increased sales.

Personally I don't feel people in Ireland buy GAA branded products in the same way they buy Man U / Liverpool as a brand. The GAA brand sends a different message than the Premier League brand- kids obsess about Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard etc, they want to wear their shirt, their boots, they want to sleep under a duvet with the team crest on it. The same can't really be said about the GAA, for sure kids enjoy playing it but they don't really tend to obsess about being Henry Shefflin or Brian Dooher in the same way they do with soccer stars.

So I'd be wary of the GAA commercial department having lofty notions of what a crest on a polo neck is worth.

Advertisement