Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demonstrating Software for Job

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just a quick question. I am applying for a job and I have been requested to demonstrate some of my work that I have done. Now here's the tricky bit, the majority of my work is in C(which is fine by the interviewer) but I don't know how I can send him a demonstration. Is it as simple as making a video of the program working or is there a better way? I am new to job hunting in the IT sector so I dont really know what the standard practice is. Any help or advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Hey guys just a quick question. I am applying for a job and I have been requested to demonstrate some of my work that I have done. Now here's the tricky bit, the majority of my work is in C(which is fine by the interviewer) but I don't know how I can send him a demonstration. Is it as simple as making a video of the program working or is there a better way? I am new to job hunting in the IT sector so I dont really know what the standard practice is. Any help or advice would be great.

No chance of recompiling into a more modern environment? A video and source code though would probably be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

No chance of recompiling into a more modern environment? A video and source code though would probably be fine

Not really it's a catch 22 im most competent in C but it's kinda useless but i think he just wants to see what i can do! I would love this job so I need to at least get called for interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

C is useless or your projects?

C is useless or your projects?

C in the modern world although I know it's a good foundation. Have no projects to speak of(course was rather limited). Have already submitted a portfolio of programs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

C is pretty damn useful... I'd shake that belief, it might be limiting you.

Video & source should be pretty good. Give him an unlisted YouTube link etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Sounds like he just wants you to bring in a laptop with you and demonstrate it working, unless it is coneecting to other machines etc. Or does he want you to send it to him in advance?

Trojan wrote: »

Thanks mate. I think your right about shaking that view just looking at jobs its rarely mentioned

druidhill wrote: »
    Sounds like he just wants you to bring in a laptop with you and demonstrate it working, unless it is coneecting to other machines etc. Or does he want you to send it to him in advance?

He wants me to send it in advance. He said he's had at least a hundred applications and I'd imagine he has given me more time than most so I'd like to re pay his fate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I keep screenshots of my work (a lot of which concerns rendering and graphics) in dropbox, then it's trivial to show these in tablet/phone.

I used to have a monster demo project demonstrating loads of advanced stuff. Had it stripped down and even documented etc but whenever I sent it to interviewers they basically went "tl;dr" and didn't look at it :pac:

srsly78 wrote: »
    I keep screenshots of my work (a lot of which concerns rendering and graphics) in dropbox, then it's trivial to show these in tablet/phone.

I used to have a monster demo project demonstrating loads of advanced stuff. Had it stripped down and even documented etc but whenever I sent it to interviewers they basically went "tl;dr" and didn't look at it :pac:

That sounds like a good idea cheers!Now to move on to what type of program to write. He said to give him something iv already written but id prefer to write something new and tailored. It is for a games company so id like to write some sort of game!any suggestions folks?i was thinking maybe tic tac toe or something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Knock together a quick android game. No need to lug laptop around to interviews then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Trojan wrote: »

Yep, that would pretty much nail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

srsly78 wrote: »
    Knock together a quick android game. No need to lug laptop around to interviews then.

wouldnt be much use for a C job. Also a game is involved.

I sent a you tube video of a project I was working on once, that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Github. Use it. Love it. Make sure the projects will build.

Also post some videos of the projects working on a personal website or blog.

Thanks for the advice ill check it out. I was also considering making a YouTube channel with my own demonstrations. I made the shortlist for the job anyway but i havnt heard anything since!

I built a fairly simple game of Tictactoe playing against the computer was pretty happy with it wasn't easy to beat but still has a couple of minor flaws

Advertisement