Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP cheap AXA repair

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I had a car accident and other driver who is insured with AXA is liable. AXA told me that I had to go to their centre on the Longmile Road to get it assessed and after doing so they told me that I must get it fixed with their crash centre on the Longmile Road after querying could I do it elsewhere they said I can but there is a max they will pay regardless of the quote I get for repairs.

I got a quote from my main dealer to get it fixed which is more than the max they will pay. My insurance co is RSA, the car is mine and I would like to get it fixed properly surely AXA cannot insist that I get it done with the garage they have clearly done some dodgy deal with on the LM Road?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Generally they agree a set of charges with approved companies to keep costs down. It speeds the claim up as the possessor is as well.
    Happened me before and it was a perfect job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You must mitigate your loss (that means keeping it reasonable)

I would be confident that the AXA approved body repair will do an excellent job and, if not AXA is liable to put it right anyhow.

Just submit the car to AXA's repairer and don't worry too much.

If your car is newer etc just seek a depreciation from AXA (10% of repair cost is reasonable) to cover any potential loss when the car is sold on - this loss will apply wherever the car is repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Very harsh to say AXA have dodgy deal with garage. They have approved centres for repair. I am with AVIVA and got crashed into 3 weeks ago, I went to their approved garage and left everything to them, they sorted out cost and AVIVA paid them, rental car provided at the garage while my car was fixed. Perfect job also.

Do you have reason to suggest the approved garage will not repair it properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

uls wrote: »
    the garage they have clearly done some dodgy deal with on the LM Road?

Any thoughts?

Clearly?

Axa will arange for your car to be repaired and provide a guarantee for the work, putting you back in the exact same position you were before the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Going to a main dealer for bodywork repairs is absolute madness. They mostly outsource the work and take a nice margin on top. A good body shop trumps a main dealer every single time both on price and quality of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Insurance companies have deals with repair centres. The repair centre gives the insurance company a competitive rate for repairs and in return they get a continuous stream of business which makes it a win-win situation.

In the OP's case they will repair his car for less than what he would pay walking in off the street. If this was a repair centre nominated by the other driver (who caused the accident) I'd be naturally suspicious that it was being done at the cheapest possible rate but this repair centre has been doing repairs for Axa for years now and I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Back in the 1970s what is now Axa in Ireland was the PMPA insurance company and they had a few garages around the country of which that was one so that place has been repairing cars for PMPA/GRE/Axa for the best part of 30 years or more.

OP, going to a main dealer for a quote for crash repairs is just silly, who do you think is going to fix the car? Main dealers don't have body shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

coylemj wrote: »
    Main dealers don't have body shops.

Most main dealers don't - but quite alot do have their own

• Registered Users Posts: 7 uls

chris85 wrote: »
    Very harsh to say AXA have dodgy deal with garage. They have approved centres for repair. I am with AVIVA and got crashed into 3 weeks ago, I went to their approved garage and left everything to them, they sorted out cost and AVIVA paid them, rental car provided at the garage while my car was fixed. Perfect job also.

Do you have reason to suggest the approved garage will not repair it properly?

The reason I suggest that they have a deal with these guys is because they told me they have a deal with them, why do I think its dodgy? because they did not give me any alternative.

Also I called to their "crash repair centre" 12 days ago to get it assessed and they told me they would call me to follow up and never heard anything from them or AXA until I rang them yesterday. So Im deeming them imcompetent from the get go!

If Im honest Im really just annoyed about the whole thing (driver with no apology/insurer getting me to run around after them/garage doing the same/time spent trying to get it sorted.) I know these things happen but they really havent kept any lines of communication open and kept me informed to make this process a little easier. Its AXA Im pissed at and the fact that their name is above the garage is irritating me. Nah its everybody sure there all gangsters to me at this stage I just want to pick a gangster that suits me to fix MY car (at a reasonable rate, not the most expensive) rather than fall in line with AXA.

Im just ranting now......

Thanks for your comments guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It's up to you where you go to get the repair done not AXA. Bring it to a garage you are comfortable with and insist that you want the work there. AXA may contact the garage you want it done with and try and do a deal with them.

Just make sure you push for a depreciation payment and car hire for the duration of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alexmcred wrote: »
    It's up to you where you go to get the repair done not AXA.

That's true but only up to a point. If Axa say that the quote is too high, they may offer the OP a cheque for the amount they say should cover it if he refuses to accept the offer of getting the damage fixed in the Axa-approved repair centre.
    alexmcred wrote: »
    Bring it to a garage you are comfortable with and insist that you want the work there.

You can insist all you like but at the end of the day they're not obliged to accept a quote they think is too high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

coylemj wrote: »
    That's true but only up to a point. If Axa say that the quote is too high, they may offer the OP a cheque for the amount they say should cover it if he refuses to accept the offer of getting the damage fixed in the Axa-approved repair centre.

You can insist all you like but at the end of the day they're not obliged to accept a quote they think is too high.

To be honest if it was my car I'd be off to a repair center where I'm satisfied about the quality of work. If AXA don't want to cover any cost above their own center then I would be looking at other ways of recovering my short fall after all it's not my fault their client damaged my property.

Yes I know they are not but at the same time they can't force you to use their repair center

Advertisement