Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The English Monarchy

• 02-07-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

I just saw on the ticker tape on Skynews tonight that in the last financial year the upkeep of the monarchy has cost the british taxpayer £32.2 million sterling.

With the UK, like ourselves going through its worst financial storm since ww2 is it really worth spending this kind of money on a family that can well afford to support themselves ?

I'd be interested to hear from any english boardsies and of course any irish ones aswell if you have an opinion on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They bring in more money in tourism than what they cost the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Quiet tonight isn't it. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Hit men don't pay for themselves you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

leave them alone, Prince Philip is a ****ing legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hit men don't pay for themselves you know!

Hows the leg and did you get your rock and roll ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

their (The UK) own business, judging by the jubilee celebrations they are still very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

mattjack wrote: »
    Very itchy tbh and no :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Money well spent in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

IvySlayer wrote: »
    +1 and really who gives a toss what they're costing the British taxpayers. It's not our money being spent on them anyway. William and Harry are serving their time in the army and most royals do plenty of public duties when foreign dignitaries are in the UK such as meet and greet. During Prince William and Kate's wedding I'm sure enough people came from other countries to see the festivities for themselves and bought commemorative gifts associated with the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

vixdname wrote: »
    I just saw on the ticker tape on Skynews tonight that in the last financial year the upkeep of the monarchy has cost the british taxpayer £32.2 million sterling.

With the UK, like ourselves going through its worst financial storm since ww2 is it really worth spending this kind of money on a family that can well afford to support themselves ?

I'd be interested to hear from any english boardsies and of course any irish ones aswell if you have an opinion on this.

£32.2m isn't really that much money, it's what 50p per person in the UK. I don't think there is an official figure or any accurate way of measuring it but I'd be shocked if the Royal Family don't bring in that figure several times over to the UK economy. Spending £20bn on Trident irks me more as a UK taxpayer than £30m on the Royal Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We could have hired them for 2 years instead of buying those e-voting machines. And they'd probably be worth more than €70,000 in scrap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think the Monarchy is an anachronism, and should probably be done away with. But you'd have to be impressed by the Queen herself.

She trained as a mechanic during the war, and even though I was up for the Germans, you'd have to be impressed by her willingness to muck in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The royal family are loved in England by the majority, you only have to look at the crowds that turn out to see them to know that.
    As for us Irish it costs us nothing so we should not have any opinion on it, it's nothing to do with us.
    I actually think the Queen is a remarkable woman and the English should be proud of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

When you look at the cost of the social welfare bill in UK - 32m is a tiny drop in a very large ocean - 0.0003% !

I think they're a bargain. Worth the price for Phillip alone, the others are a freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

If I could buy Prince Phillip, I don't care how much it would cost, I'd find the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Prince Charles raised £123 Million for his charities last year. If he were not a royal there is no way he would have gotten even a tenth of that. Charles also paid over 4 million in tax from his personal wealth.

They are the most famous royal family in the world. They are clearly worth their upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Regardless of whether they are loved by the majority of the people or whether they make more money than they cost, its still morally wrong to have a hereditary head of state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mattjack wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Prince Charles raised £123 Million for his charities last year. If he were not a royal there is no way he would have gotten even a tenth of that. Charles also paid over 4 million in tax from his personal wealth.
    Tourism angle is pure and utter horsetripe. I've never chosen to visit a country based on that reason. I'd still go see the same castles, temples, etc regardless of whether the monarchy was existing or abandoned.

People would simply give to another charity. If the only reason for donating is because it comes with a shiny royal seal of approval (and a possible knighthood) well then sod it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not doing any great harm to us over here so, seeing as they do still seem to be popular among the Joe Soaps over there, I have no objection to them. And Phil the Greek does occasionally come out with some cracking lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Hows about Ireland makes my family into an Irish monarchy. I can make the odd howler like Philip when I'm after a few, I can dress up in an SS uniform for parties like Harry, I can wave just as good as the queen, I can flash my arse just as good as Will's wan. You'd get a package deal with me all for the low low price of giving me a plane, a boat, a train, a few castles, some priceless artworks and jewels, some land in the middle of the major cities in Ireland and a few million spending money a year. I figure after a few years of me doing all that I'll be able to turn a tidy profit for the Irish tourism industry. The fact that I make off with oodles of cash over everyone else for no good reason shouldn't make any difference to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Hows about Ireland makes my family into an Irish monarchy. I can make the odd howler like Philip when I'm after a few, I can dress up in an SS uniform for parties like Harry, I can wave just as good as the queen, I can flash my arse just as good as Will's wan. You'd get a package deal with me all for the low low price of giving me a plane, a boat, a train, a few castles, some priceless artworks and jewels, some land in the middle of the major cities in Ireland and a few million spending money a year. I figure after a few years of me doing all that I'll be able to turn a tidy profit for the Irish tourism industry. The fact that I make off with oodles of cash over everyone else for no good reason shouldn't make any difference to you.

The word "pedigree" appears to be missing from this post.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Tourism angle is pure and utter horsetripe. I've never chosen to visit a country based on that reason. I'd still go see the same castles, temples, etc regardless of whether the monarchy was existing or abandoned..

So because you wouldn't do it it must be horsetripe? I'm not big into flower shows so that must mean the tourist angle to the flower trade is horsetripe... except the Floriade 2012 is expected to draw 2 million visitors to an expo site in the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In that case we should have a monarchy. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »

....as well as "eyes close together".

ejmaztec wrote: »

That's true. I suppose if my ancestors didn't take all that for me by force and through marriage I just don't truly deserve it like the Saxo Coburg Gothas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

hondasam wrote: »
    As for us Irish it costs us nothing so we should not have any opinion on it, it's nothing to do with us.

So nobody should have an opinion about anything that doesn't directly affect them?

Regarding the issue at hand, 32m pounds seems a little low in upkeeping such a huge family. Are they just taking into account the queen, Charles and his kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

vixdname wrote: »

All Welsh and Scottish Boardsies logged off in anger at this point.

Regarding the issue at hand, 32m pounds seems a little low in upkeeping such a huge family.

Is that you Padraig Flynn?

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    So because you wouldn't do it it must be horsetripe? I'm not big into flower shows so that must mean the tourist angle to the flower trade is horsetripe... except the Floriade 2012 is expected to draw 2 million visitors to an expo site in the Netherlands.
    It is horsetripe when you claim all revenue from visiting tourists to royal palaces is due solely to the presence of an existing monarchy.

I've been to a few, e.g., Hampton Court. Buildings and gardens were lovely and the history was interesting, but I would have went anyway

Useless analogy btw

Nodin wrote: »
    ....as well as "eyes close together".

No,they don't have to be that close together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

So nobody should have an opinion about anything that doesn't directly affect them?

No you can have an opinion on anything you want but who funds the royal family is nothing to do with anyone except the people who are paying for them, ie not us Irish.

It is horsetripe when you claim all revenue from visiting tourists to royal palaces is due solely to the presence of an existing monarchy.

Who made that claim?

Lyaiera wrote: »
    That's true. I suppose if my ancestors didn't take all that for me by force and through marriage I just don't truly deserve it like the Saxo Coburg Gothas.

That's the beauty of history, use force to get everything you want, then pass a law making it illegal for anyone else to do it to you or your descendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/DayInTheLife/Queensworkingday.aspx

Just reading what she has to do every day and her in her twilight years. Sounds exhausting and terribly dull. There's a lot to be said for the hereditary element of the royal family. I actually think its good that the throne is inherited. Being born into the life is the best preparation for it. She clearly has a sense of duty and loyalty to her country and subjects. Would I want to replace the royals with a term of office, voted for by the nation? Personally no. Democracy gave us the likes of Tony Blair and Gordon Browne. Do we need another power hungry, overambitious, sneaky, underhand prick as head of state instead of our lovely Queen? No. Long live Betty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Diana's death proved very profoundly to the Windsors that they live on a precarious knife edge of public support I think. Most in Britian seem to tolerate support for the monarchy, but it's usually those who regret the passing of the empire that get out and wave the flags.
    If the royals f**k up then you see the more vitriolic anti royalists coming to the fore. They where pathetically forced to respond to Diana's death. and I think it fundementally scared them, they have behaved very differently since.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/DayInTheLife/Queensworkingday.aspx

Just reading what she has to do every day and her in her twilight years. Sounds exhausting and terribly dull. There's a lot to be said for the hereditary element of the royal family. I actually think its good that the throne is inherited. Being born into the life is the best preparation for it. She clearly has a sense of duty and loyalty to her country and subjects. Would I want to replace the royals with a term of office, voted for by the nation? Personally no. Democracy gave us the likes of Tony Blair and Gordon Browne. Do we need another power hungry, overambitious, sneaky, underhand prick as head of state instead of our lovely Queen? No. Long live Betty!

In fairness Ireland has been doing well in regards to figureheads. The last three (the ones I know from my lifetime) have all been pretty decent. Mary Robinson is one of the most inspirational Irish women around, and Micheal D. has done a great job so far.

Who made that claim?
    Show me the figures that explicitly link revenue from tourism to the actual presence of a royal family.

Actually it is much worse than simply visitor numbers to royal palaces. There's some suspect maths and dodgy guesswork by Visit Britain, the tourism authority.

Don't believe me? Take a look at this from their own website
    Britain’s Monarchy generates well over £500 million a year from overseas tourists, new research from VisitBritain reveals.

Our "culture and heritage’’ in the widest sense - extending from theatres, galleries, to pubs, Premiership Football, castles and stately homes - generated £4.6 billion in total spending by overseas tourists in 2009, and supported 100,000 jobs, the report said

But within that total one-in-eight of those sites – ranging from the Tower of London to The Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh and Ruthin Castle in Wales – are associated with Monarchy. The report reveals that foreign tourists who visited them generated £500 million of spending, directly and indirectly. (1)
    http://media.visitbritain.com/News-Releases/Monarchy-brings-in-500-million-a-year-from-foreign-tourists-says-VisitBritain-research-5d2.aspx

Now, I don't know about you - but I imagine most people who visit the Tower of London are doing so for the history of the place, rather than any link to the current monarchy. Actually reading down the list - the current home of the monarchy, Buckingham palace only comes 10th, behind the more historical sites.

Show me the figures that explicitly link revenue from tourism to the actual presence of a royal family..

You came on to rubbish a claim nobody had actually made on the thread. Well done you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bullshit.

The slave mentality is alive and well in many.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Happyman42 wrote: »
    ...They where pathetically forced to respond to Diana's death. and I think it fundementally scared them, they have behaved very differently since.

That woke them up to reality more so - that was a game changer.
    ...They had it coming!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

And Charity and youth projects and helping young people get back into work and education and many other projects. They are fantastic for the UK. I hope her Majesty can live on to 100 and reign over all UK citizens.

You came on to rubbish a claim nobody had actually made on the thread. Well done you.
    See second post on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I hope her Majesty can live on to 100 and reign over all UK citizens.

Will she make the cheque out to herself then?:D

See second post on thread.

OK, I will..

Still don't see any claim that all revenue from tourists to royal sites is solely due to the presence of a currently reigning monarch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if England want a monarch thats grand as long we don't have one im happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

hondasam wrote: »
    No you can have an opinion on anything you want but who funds the royal family is nothing to do with anyone except the people who are paying for them, ie not us Irish.

Right. It's just confusing when you specifically said that we shouldn't have an opinion on it.

There are also a fair few Irish who do pay for their upkeep.
    Is that you Padraig Flynn?

Ha. Yeah, I should've said that it was a low amount of money for a family with such (I would assume) enormous overheads and expenditure.

Still don't see any claim that all revenue from tourists to royal sites is due to the presence of a currently reigning monarch.
    Where do you think the notion people have that the royals bring in more revenue from tourism comes from?

Did they just imagine it, or is it perhaps more likely media spin on VisitBritain tourist stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

not my country, i couldnt give a crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there not something innately amusing about the Irish sounding off about some other countries titular leader?

How much does it cost to run the Irish presidency and do the people of Britain have a view on it I wonder?*

* the answer is no.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement