Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The English Monarchy

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Tell us Fred again...how many can join the titled class and who opens the door to let them in? Could you be king one day? :D
    We are as money obsessed as the rest of the western world, a nation of hat doffers to people who have done nothing to earn it, we are not.

The titled class are irrelevant, you can buy a title on eBay.

Why would I want to be king? If I wanted to rule the UK I'd become prime minister. If I wanted to rule Ireland I'd become a property developer.

What's the big deal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Why would I want to be king? If I wanted to rule the UK I'd become prime minister. If I wanted to rule Ireland I'd become a property developer.

What's the big deal?

There's nothing inherently anti-British for wanting to see the back of the monarchy. It's anachronistic in this day and age, there should be no place for such a privileged class. For all the power you claim they don't have they are certainly not impotent they are quite influential. All monarchies should be dissolved, their mansions and palaces will still attract tourists. How the working class can put up with that bollocks is well beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

John Doe1 wrote: »
    leave them alone, Prince Philip is a ****ing legend

Well, no, he's just an old racist.

karma_ wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently anti-British for wanting to see the back of the monarchy. It's anachronistic in this day and age, there should be no place for such a privileged class. For all the power you claim they don't have they are certainly not impotent they are quite influential. All monarchies should be dissolved, their mansions and palaces will still attract tourists. How the working class can put up with that bollocks is well beyond me.

Who said it was anti British? (although happyman's knack of appearing on every British thread is somewhat disturbing, I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a field day analysing that sort of obsession).

Have you read my other posts? If you were starting from scratch you wouldn't have a monarchy, but I dont see any advantage I'm changing it now, it is a ceremonial job at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I'm the last person who would want or care about the monarchy but sometimes when I see them parading at the opening of some shopping centre or attending the Warner Brothers Studios last week they remind me of performing chimps for some reason(albiet well paid for it) - not a job I could do tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why would I want to be king? If I wanted to rule the UK I'd become prime minister.
    Don't you mean American president?
    If I wanted to rule Ireland I'd become a property developer.
    If a property developer gets to rule here than that's what they are they don't construct elaborate myths about being ordinary grocers daughters. :rolleyes:

I love the way in England you see celebs and government ministers of all hues giving out about the monarchy, shouting about equal rights but when the envelope arrives from Mrs Winsdor they are down on their knees kowtowing for their grubby little titles. It's people like that that keep the sham going.

Who said it was anti British? (although happyman's knack of appearing on every British thread is somewhat disturbing, I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a field day analysing that sort of obsession).

Ha ha that's like Flann O'Brien being hauled up in front of his civil service betters.
    Boss: 'You were seen going into Mulligans at lunchtime!'

Flann: 'You mean I was seen coming into Mulligans'

I don't recall seeing you on any other thread that isn't about the British and their various wrongdoings on the planet.
    Have you read my other posts? If you were starting from scratch you wouldn't have a monarchy, but I dont see any advantage I'm changing it now, it is a ceremonial job at best.

If you wouldn't start one now then it is always wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't care less about the monarchy, but I do pay tax in NI so I guess in a roundabout way I do contribute to them.

I appreciate that many say they bring in plenty of tourists, but I remember reading a few years back that the Queen was worth £4bn.

That means she alone could sustain the entire Royal Family for nearly 125 years.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the monarchy, but I do pay tax in NI so I guess in a roundabout way I do contribute to them.

I appreciate that many say they bring in plenty of tourists, but I remember reading a few years back that the Queen was worth £4bn.

That means she alone could sustain the entire Royal Family for nearly 125 years.

she's only worth that money in theory, if you valued all the property that belongs to the crown. It's not like she has 4 billion quid in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

A mate of mine tells the story of how the time his father was working over in England and the conversation came up about the Queen.

He apparent turned around to his work colleges and said "the Queen should be stood up against the wall and a knob of her own s.hit thrown at her".

Still get a giggle when I think about it. He got sacked for it too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Why would I want to be king? If I wanted to rule the UK I'd become a banker in Londonprime minister. If I wanted to rule Ireland I'd become a property developer.

What's the big deal?

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Thread is nearly a year old and I'm not seeing much point in keeping it open, other than go over the same points, usually made by the same posters nearly a year later.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement