Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview Feedback

• 02-07-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I interviewed last week for a position I really wanted. I got news today that I didn't get the job (am happy to have gotten a letter though). I am really disappointed and have had a few unsuccessful interviews this year. I am not an NQT, hold an MA in the one subject I interviewed for and have lived abroad, so am very competent in the language. I really thought I was in with a shot. Would it be reasonable to ring for feedback? I know they cant tell me anything about who got the job, but if it is a case of X has more experience that's understandable. If it is the case where I seem to have developed some fatal flaw interview habits over the last year I would really like to be told. Would I annoy the principal if I emailed? I think emailing may be the best option as it puts no pressure on the principal who may be taking his holidays or under pressure with the timetable? Is this advisable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

you can try but i've done this in the past (over the phone) and all i've gotten is a bog standard version of i was so close but didn't have the same amount of experience ... i got the feelling i was being fobbed off to be honest - which i can understand because of our culture for sueing for next to nothing, i'd hate to be a principal asked "why didn't I get the job?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur, you can ask but anything in writing won't even get a reply and over the phone you will get a standard answer because litigation is rife unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Did a senior management interview about 4 years ago and although I didn't get the job I got a phone call the following day with superb feedback. Each area was discussed and my marks in each area were given to me. Really appreciated the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thanks. The Driver, it is really nice to have a principal or DP on boards giving such practical, realistic advice. I never would have thought that that our society was so court happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

That's the norm in the VEC where I work too Delphi91 - for management interviews.

However I know that those who seek feedback on their interviews for teaching positions have also been given detailed feedback and could also request their marking sheets.

It doesn't seem to cause any problems here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

You are entitled to get your marks for interviews if I remember correctly. But you won't get the marks of the other candidates. But I do think you will get your placing (rank order) - I'm trying to remember back to the interview I referred to earlier and the subsequent phone call. I do remember the person on the phone discussing how I had gotten on in each area. Oh, and it wasn't a VEC school, although I do have a senior management position in a VEC school at the moment.

Advertisement