Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any places in dublin 6? looking to take up rugby

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

IM 30 yrs old and wanna give rugby a go, im in ok shape.... but wanna shift a it of weight plus get fitter- and rugby looks a great social sport to take up- any clubs doing trials? how do you join?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Mary's which is in Templeogue, and terenure would be your best bet geographically.

D6 is a big place- can you be a bit more specific about location and if you have a car etc?

Edit: And read through this thread- its old but full of insights.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60990757

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Most clubs will be shut down at the moment so wait a few weeks for preseason to come around but yeah Marys and Terenure are both big clubs with a lot of teams that would welcome you no matter your ability level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Keep an eye on the community pages of the IRFU website http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/news/index.php

Also, contact clubs dierectly, they'll usually have an email you can contact and get details about pre-season. There's no trials as such, bigger clubs will have teams competing at all levels.

Address:

St Marys College RFC,
    Templeville Road,
    Templeogue,
    Dublin 6W,
    Ireland.
    Contact Details:

Phone: +353 1 490 0440
    Email: admin@stmaryscollegerfc.com

Address:

Terenure College RFC,
    ‘Lakelands’,
    Greenlea Grove,
    Terenure,
    Dublin 6W

Phone:

+353-1-490 4283

Fax:

+353-1-492 0843

Email:

office@terenurecollegerfc.com
    rugby@terenurecollegerfc.com
    U21@terenurecollegerfc.com

There's also loads of clubs around Dublin 4, such as Lansdowne, Wesley, Bective, Old Belvedre, Monkstown to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yeah loads of clubs to choose from playing at J4/5 level around D6. Look at the J4 and J5 leagues to see what teams there are and check to see what ones are close to you.

Mikedragon is a good man to talk to, he plays for Stillorgan and I have heard nothing but good things about new players playing there.

In terms of joining, email to find out when pre-season starts, turn up, train and make yourself know to the coaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

Guys

I play with Tallaght Rfc, we are always looking for new players, we are a progressive club and will have 2 teams this year playing in Leinster League and the Metro J5

We start training next Monday 9th July on our home pitch in tymon park

all informations needed can be found here

http://www.tallaghtrugby.com/

otherwise PM and i will answer any questions u have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

On personal experience id recommend Stillorgan. Other clubs Id recommends would be Mary’s and CYM. I would not recommend Terenure to anyone.

Really depends where you are in D6 as you could be close to a lot of the D4 clubs but be wary as some of them may train up the mountains.

Legits wrote: »
    Really depends where you are in D6 as you could be close to a lot of the D4 clubs but be wary as some of them may train up the mountains.

Bective have grounds up the mountains, but do any of the other D4/6 based clubs have grounds not in D4/6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Bective have grounds up the mountains, but do any of the other D4/6 based clubs have grounds not in D4/6?
    Bective have glenamuck(worst pitch ive ever played rugby on). Lansdowne and Old Wesley share a pitch up in Ballycorus which is close enough to glenamuck

ormond lad wrote: »
    Bective have glenamuck(worst pitch ive ever played rugby on). Lansdowne and Old Wesley share a pitch up in Ballycorus which is close enough to glenamuck

Is it true Glenamuck used to be a dump. Ive heard it said before but not sure if its just a romour.

ormond lad wrote: »

Didn't know about Lansdowne's and Old Wesley's grounds, cheers.

Yeah we played a match up in Glenamuck before in the worst conditions I've ever played in. Both teams and the ref were delighted to call the match off 5 minutes early, even though we were only 2 points ahead, as it was so horrible. And to top it off there were water problems in Dublin that weekend so we couldn't shower there, and when I eventually got home the water was broken at home as well! One of the few days when I truly questioned why I play rugby *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Two games the last season in Glenamuck and its manky.

Edit: Marys and Stillorgan both recommended. Both good bunch of lads always good to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is it true Glenamuck used to be a dump. Ive heard it said before but not sure if its just a romour.

Pretty sure it wasn't a dump, Ballyogan which isn't far away is a dump which is where I imagine the rumour came from. Usually dumps are pretty well drained though, so I don't know why it'd be an issue to have a rugby club on one.

Pretty sure Kilbogget park which is under Seapoint Rugby club was a dump in the 50s and 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

On personal experience id recommend Stillorgan. Other clubs Id recommends would be Mary’s and CYM. I would not recommend Terenure to anyone.

Not affiliated to any club but know members of both Marys and Terenure. They seem to have a good rivalry. Just wondering why would not recommend Terenure?

Played against them for years and personally I have found their players to be for the most part total d1c k s.
    At a club level their attitude to loading so called "dream teams" at j5 and previously j4 and hockeying teams. Their players also acted like complete D1c ks even though they loaded teams to play absolute newbie’s at the lowest level. Beyond pathetic.

Terenure deny doing this and claim to be just strong at that level. That claim is a lie and insulting to anyone who has played Junior Rugby in Dublin.

All of the above is my personal opinion and I know a few people who have only good things to say about Terenure.

Played against them for years and personally I have found their players to be for the most part total d1c k s.
    At a club level their attitude to loading so called "dream teams" at j5 and previously j4 and hockeying teams. Their players also acted like complete D1c ks even though they loaded teams to play absolute newbie’s at the lowest level. Beyond pathetic.

Terenure deny doing this and claim to be just strong at that level. That claim is a lie and insulting to anyone who has played Junior Rugby in Dublin.

All of the above is my personal opinion and I know a few people who have only good things to say about Terenure.

I slightly agree with this. They have been known to load lower teams, I dont know why they bother to be honest. Unbeaten in the J5 league last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Wow I was about to ask this exact question. Live in D6 and haven't played since school.

When does pre-season usually start?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Wow I was about to ask this exact question. Live in D6 and haven't played since school.

Each Club is different Stillorgan should be next Thursday, It has yet to be confirmed.
    You can check the Thread on pre season contact details and most clubs are on facebook and twitter which is ussually more up to date than the websites.

Grimebox wrote: »

Will be starting in the next couple of weeks for some squads. Marys are good team. They field players at the right levels which is good, you get an honest game against them. I am not part of them but played against them 3 times last season, good lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

CYM! Great bar, Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I'm involved with Mary's and have been for years now. We'd like to consider ourselves a very welcoming club and hopefully we play the game in the right spirit and manner (bar the odd moan!). Great social scene as well up in the club and all in all we're a close knit club that's very open to new members.

Over the last few years the new lads have bedded in really well and in fact some of these are the ones leading the charge when it comes to the social nights!!

The J4/J5 panel are starting up from next Wednesday playing a bit of mens tag amongst ourselves just to keep the fitness up with preseason starting in the next few weeks. All welcome, even if you just want to test the waters and see what you think of the club/ players.

PM me if you want more details or just pop along at 7:30 on Wednesday 18th July!

********Edit - We are actually starting the tag this Wednesday at 7:30. All welcome, the more the merrier and a good way to get to meet some of the lads.****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Marys are a solid team and seem to have some craic, go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Each Club is different Stillorgan should be next Thursday, It has yet to be confirmed.
    You can check the Thread on pre season contact details and most clubs are on facebook and twitter which is ussually more up to date than the websites.

Yep, Stillorgan RFC is back in pre-season from tomorrow evening, anyone interested pop down to the pitches beside the church on Bird Avenue in Clonskeagh for about 7pm. It'll be a few circuits/drills followed by a few games of tag or touch to start getting rid of the cobwebs/beergut accumulated in the off season/years for the first few weeks, the real rugby will start after that. Don't worry about the level, we've something for everyone.

www.dublinrugby.com

Advertisement