Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Make that a third for Naismith. 35 minutes gone. Don't know who assisted. Lose ball from a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Any decent 4.5m midfielders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Anyone here a member on FF Scout??
    Give us a few tips on the members articles if possible!!
    :)

hate that attitude - it hardly costs a bomb to pay up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

FatRat wrote: »
    Half an hour gone and Steven Naismith has already notched 2 goals for Everton in their friendly, and his debut. Pienaar has assisted both of them.
    smokingman wrote: »
    20-07-2012, 23:42

Naismith for Everton...I have a sneaky feeling he'll be a good choice.
    He's 6.5 and yes, as a Toffee myself, I know full well that our season starts are generally sh|t for the last few years. Last year when we got Jelavic, things started turning around for us. He's the first proper striker who wants to perform we've had for a while and teaming up with Naismith may prove to be a good pairing. Jelavic is priced too high even for me now but Naismith....
    Here's a guy that's coming out of the whole rangers debacle wanting to put it behind him and he's a proven asset so he's going in my team (as of now and before you guys talk me out of it :) )

Said it a while back but yeah, he could be a good option alright. Did Jelavic play?

....and yeah, I know I was talked out of it for my latest team but if he's taking a more attacking position, I'll be putting him back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Impossible to finalise a team at present with these issues:

1. Will spurs sign a new goalie? (affecting Friedel)

2. Will Man city sign Agger? (affecting Lescott)

3. Will Man U sign RVP? (affecting Rooney)

Then throw in the uncertainty in the Man U midfield, what will happen when Evans and Smalling are fit, Silva not being fit for start of season, also the middle of the Spurs backline seems to uncertain and the full backs are just too expensive.

Fun times!

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Impossible to finalise a team at present with these issues:

1. Will spurs sign a new goalie? (affecting Friedel)

2. Will Man city sign Agger? (affecting Lescott)

3. Will Man U sign RVP? (affecting Rooney)

Then throw in the uncertainty in the Man U midfield, what will happen when Evans and Smalling are fit, Silva not being fit for start of season, also the middle of the Spurs backline seems to uncertain and the full backs are just too expensive.

Fun times!

Also Rooney is in bad pre season form. I'm considering selling himself and Silva before the start of the season. Another I'm considering swapping out is Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'm not sure he'll even get his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

smokingman wrote: »
    Said it a while back but yeah, he could be a good option alright. Did Jelavic play?

....and yeah, I know I was talked out of it for my latest team but if he's taking a more attacking position, I'll be putting him back in.

Jelavic played up front with Naismith behind him. Naismith scored three and was taken off at half time. Pienaar also had a good game according to FF Scout.

I certainly wouldn't be letting this whole myth about Everton starting poorly effect choices. I think they'll start well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Eathrin wrote: »
    Also Rooney is in bad pre season form. I'm considering selling himself and Silva before the start of the season. Another I'm considering swapping out is Oxlade-Chamberlain. I'm not sure he'll even get his game.

If RVP doesnt sign - I ll keep him, he is about the only sure fire way into United attacking returns. If RVP signs I prob wont have a united player until week 3/4 until we see how midfield shapes up.

Seems like there'll be a lot of rotation this year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I was on premierleague.com a few weeks ago and saw an ad for a game where you buy certain players and their price rises/falls depending on their performances, kind of like a stock market type thing and you can do trades etc. However it seems to be gone from the site now. Anyone else see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Pick 4 from:

Chelsea: Torres/Lukaku/Mata/Oscar/Hazard/(Moses?)/Sturridge/Lampard
    Arsenal: RVP/Giroud/Podolski/Rosicky/Cazorla/Ox/Walcott
    Man Utd: Rooney/Kagawa/Valencia/Nani/Young/Hernandez/Wellbeck/(RVP???)

Just thinking out loud but just an idea of the uncertainty of how teams are going to line-up attacking-wise, these 3 teams immediately jump out at me, so many good attacking midfielders but which ones to pick?!!! Will they play every week?!!! Aaaargh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Cazorla is 9 million. Doubt I'll be picking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kuntz........the game knows how good he can be.....

dahat wrote: »

Kuntz........

How much is he

manual_man wrote: »
    How much is he

Hoping a ninja edit corrected that question...............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

I was on premierleague.com a few weeks ago and saw an ad for a game where you buy certain players and their price rises/falls depending on their performances, kind of like a stock market type thing and you can do trades etc. However it seems to be gone from the site now. Anyone else see this?

Sounds fun. I second this question.

i'll have Pienaar and Rooney in my first 11 for day 1. Just cant forget that 4-4 thriller at the end of last season more of the same please :pac:

3 assists from Suarez tonight in ff-terms. Granted the opposition wasn't brilliant, but it was a competitive European match. Goal for Gerrard too as well as hitting the post, himself and Suarez linked up very well. Both players starting to come into my thinking now, granted Liverpool have a tough start, but all their tough games are at Anfield. Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Rooney has been awful in pre-season. If Torres needs to be replaced after the first couple of gameweeks, I doubt I'll be replacing him for Rooney. Granted he can still score in bad form, but I can't see him being worth 12m for a few weeks yet.

Not trying to influence anybody, just a thought. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one planning on switching from Torres to Rooney within the first couple of weeks, but I'm thinking it would be more beneficial to spend 2m rather than save it in order to go from Torres to Rooney.

I'm getting more indecisive as the start approaches, though. It's horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

The Torres to Rooney plan is still a great plan to have, even if Rooney starts poorly. Worst case scenario in terms of Rooney not being in form is simply bringing in Cisse instead, then having 2.5m you weren't expecting to have to play with.

By then, we'll have an idea who else Fergie is playing up top or in midfield, to that's another place the spare cash can go.

That's my plan, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

has ashley young been plaing in pre season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Is it me or does it seem to be getting harder to assemble a decent squad with 2 good strikers and a couple of decent midfielders?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

I have both Rooney and Torres in my team, and my dilemma is, I want Aguero in but I think you have to have Torres in your team for the start at least and I can't afford him without shipping Rooney.

I know Rooney is on poor form at the moment but when he hits form(which he will) he always scores bundles and I won't be able to afford him!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Whats the most common ST combination??
    Rooney + Aguero seems to be doing the rounds!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Pogrebnyak + Aguero + Torres (to be swapped for Rooney after gameweek 1).

Torres + Auguero with Bent/Graham depending on budget

I'm going with Torres + Aguero + one of either Graham, Petric, the Pog or Defoe.

No plans for Rooney. As seriousfizz said above, he hasn't looked great in pre-season. Added to that, he has had a long Summer and didn't look great towards the end of last year.

Could be famous last words but I'll bring him in if needs be. That said, I'm not planning to leave any cash spare but can always swap out an expensive defender or midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Have pog and at 5.0 he will be a bastard to replace.

Formation wrote: »
    Have pog and at 5.0 he will be a bastard to replace.

If I do go with the Pog, and its looking more unlikely by the day to be honest, it'll only be for the first gameweek and I will be leaving at least 1 million free.

I don't expect him to be a success tbh. As Pauly D pointed out, he scored a few in three games last year and then did little else. And that was for Fulham, Reading don't score many and haven't bought anyone of note. I think they'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrWinner

Tevez at 9.0 instead of Aguero is the smart move. Tevez, Suarez and Torres is my attack- each are reasonable prices and have room to go up- not down (unlike Rooney, Aguero etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Tevez is a complete gamble.

Someone in that price range that would be "the smart move" would be bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

What are the likely Chelsea midfield lineup for the first three weeks do people think

Anyone taking a punt on Michu?

Also, who's going to be the shock player/team of the season dye reckon?

Tevez is almost guarenteed to start up front with Aguero as we saw at the end of last season. He's also Man City's first choice penalty taker.

A £9.0 striker in a team that will be racking up goals again is a very good proposition. Also, his fitness is now on par with everyone else so we shouldn't see him come off the field after 60 mins unlike last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

mutley18 wrote: »
    Latest draft of my team, any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

GK: Hart, Federici

DEF: Lescott, Coloccini, Neil Taylor, Anton Ferdinand, Clark

MID: Hazard, Kagawa, Ramires, Fellaini, Noble

STR: Aguero, Torres, Pogrebnyak

Might change Fellaini to Pienaar but i think Fellaini will be playing a more attacking role this season, he done well towards the end of last season in that role.

City seem to be playing 3-5-3 in pre-season, i have Kompany and i think he's the only guaranteed starter if mancini plays that system in the premier league. Lescott could be an even bigger rotation risk if agger comes in. Kagawa & Hazard, both untested in england. I think people are jumoing in the hazard bandwagon coz of the chelsea double gameweek, this could be risky if dimatteo chooses to ease him in to the first team. Picking between nani/valencia,young & kagawa (scholes/giggs) is a fantasy football nightmare.

Ramires as well.. i think chelsea have something like 14 registered midfielders; will he always start?

Just my take

Here is my team. My decisions were heavily influenced by the difficulty of the first 5 fixtures and the DGW. Numerous othr factors such as player values were considered- I believe that the likes of Allen, Sinclair, Torres, Suarez, and Tevez represent fantastic value and will probably increase in value. My defence is pretty solid and all are guarenteed starters without spending too much at all. Bale and Dempsey are absolute musts again- they are consistently high achievers and there's no evidence to suggest that they won't deliver again this season. Both have easy first 5 fixtures- expect plenty from these. Sinclair will improve again this season IMO dramatically and he represents fantastic value. Allen has just signed for Liverpool for £15. At 5.5 he is the bargain of the year on FF.

teambe.jpg

• Advertisement

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    City seem to be playing 3-5-3 in pre-season

Surely the other teams feel that this is unfair:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Joe Hart will be playing up front!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Formation wrote: »
    Tevez is a complete gamble.

Someone in that price range that would be "the smart move" would be bent.
    MrWinner wrote: »
    Tevez is almost guarenteed to start up front with Aguero as we saw at the end of last season. He's also Man City's first choice penalty taker.

A £9.0 striker in a team that will be racking up goals again is a very good proposition. Also, his fitness is now on par with everyone else so we shouldn't see him come off the field after 60 mins unlike last year.

I tend to agree with Formation here. Tevez got back into the team last season when Balotelli got a 3 game ban.

If the rumours of Man City turning down a £40m bid for Balotelli from PSG are true, then its clear Mancini sees him as a key part of his squad. I can see Tevez and Balotelli splitting time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hi all. I think I`ve settled on this but I`ve thought that a few times already.

GK:Al Habsi
    DF:Skrtel,Koscielny,Heitinga
    MF:Allen,De Guzman,Dempsey,Fellaini
    ST:Torres,Suarez,Aguero.

Any thoughts?

Hi all. I think I`ve settled on this but I`ve thought that a few times already.

GK:Al Habsi
    DF:Skrtel,Koscielny,Heitinga
    MF:Allen,De Guzman,Dempsey,Fellaini
    ST:Torres,Suarez,Aguero.

Any thoughts?

Seems you could have to DM type mids in there,Allen and Fellani,unlikely Allen will be deployed to far forward,Guessing that Gerrard will be the AM for Pool and Fellani likely to be held back for Everton now they have two decent CF's.

• Advertisement

Allen has just signed for Liverpool for £15. At 5.5 he is the bargain of the year on FF.

Will he really though?
    Allen's a nice passer and all but he doesn't chip in with the goals or many assists either. He kinda "assists the assist" if you get what I mean.
    However if he does show a burst of form he's a potential massive bargain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

anyone know how mcclean and michu have been doing in pre season?

I have 5.5m too spend on a midfielder. Have Allen at the moment but also considering Gibson/Ireland/Dyer.

Also, if RVP leaves, Podolski would IMO be a good buy at 8.5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Anyone know where Walters has been playing for Stoke in pre-season? Has he been up front?

Need to decide on a £6.5m midfielder, already have Pienaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

The Pog opened the scoring for Reading today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

hahahaa

**** sorry i meant 3-4-3

good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Tevez is not Man Citys first choice penalty taker. Balotelli is their first choice penalty taker when he is on the pitch followed by Aguero. I presume Tevez would be next on the list making him 3rd choice penalty taker.

I agree Tevez is great value at £9.0 but I think Mancini sees Aguero as his main striker and Balotelli will have to get game time thus Tevez making way for him or even rotating with him. Also cant forget about Dzeko.

Is the Pog that good though??
    Graham seems to be flying at the minute, although it is pre-season, which usually counts for nothing once the big day comes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

City going with the 3 at the back option...... :eek::eek::eek:

And Tevez plays!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Shane732 wrote: »
    City going with the 3 at the back option...... :eek::eek::eek:

And Tevez plays!!!

Pantilimon, Savic, Kolarov, Kompany, Zabaleta, Milner, Yaya Toure, De Jong, Nasri, Tevez, Aguero

Doesn't look like 3 at the back to me?

Pantilimon
    Zabaleta - Savic - Kompany - Kolarov
    De Jong
    Milner - Yaya Toure
    Nasri
    Tevez - Aguero

Something like that I'm guessing?
    We will see soon enough I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement