Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on forum permissions

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Asking here before I ask an admin and they have to ask you anyway...

Is it possible in the current framework of boards to have a forum that is:

1. Visible to all.
    -and-
    2. Threads can be replied to by all (non forum banned) registered users.
    -and-
    3. Local mods can control registered users rights to post new threads.

i.e. kinda like the soccer forum but people can reply to threads, they just can't start new ones unless they are given access.

If not, is the only option premoderation?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

You sure know how to pose 'em Steve ;)
    canpostnew - Can post new threads
    canreplyown - Can reply to your own threads
    canreplyothers - Can reply to other threads

Those are the three basic usergroup-level permissions in a forum. What you're describing can be accomplished but for one thing - the way vBulletin handles usergroups.

In an ideal world where we could create usergroups cheaply, I'd recommend giving your hypothetical forum it's own usergroup with "canpostnew" and "canreplyown" permissions and setting the regular registered usergroup to "canreplyothers" only. Forum visibility is easily accomplished and nothing to do with these posting permissions. Then an Admin would add the users you want to post in the forum the rights by assigning them as members of the usergroup - this can't be done by mods.

However, in vBulletin land usergroups are not cheap and if anything we're driving to reduce the number of usergroups in an effort to reduce the RAM each page load consumes.

Until such time as they are cheap, or at least not as expensive (think the new platform ;)) the only way this'd be a runner is with premoderation and hopefully premoderation is configurable for new threads (though it's late and I'm not sure).

Danny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks Danny, answered perfectly, much appreciated. :)

For the benefit of the other non-vB-tech mods I know are watching this, I'll translate:
    No!

:D

(Context is here if you're interested..)

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I knew you'd probably appreciate a more technical overview but yes, you summed it up nicely with a No there. No hassle on the answer, happy to help.

Danny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement