Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay meter and a bill?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    I have a prepaid meter in my house and I just received a bill for €420. The bill sages its charging me for x amount of units but am I not paying for this on my prepaid meter? And if I'm not what is the point in a prepaid meter if im paying for a service twice!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Leebo,

I can understand the potential for confusion here. I can assure you however that having a pay as you go meter installed doesn't mean that you won't still receive a bill, and having both a bill and a pay as you go meter doesn't mean you'll be paying for a service twice. I'll try to make this clear with an example.

Say a customer is in arrears of €300. They then have the pay as you go meter installed in order to deal with this debt (as these meters are reserved for customers in such circumstances). The debt isn't wiped clean; what happens is that a certain amount of it is cleared each time the customer tops up (this amount will be set in advance; an example would be €5 per week).

So, if a customer pays as planned and clears a small amount each week, by the time the next bill is due to issue, they may have reduced their arrears by, say €40. A bill will still issue reflecting the units used according to the original meter (as the pay as you go meter is linked to this - it does not replace it). In this scenario, the bill will be for €260.

The pay as you go meter is designed to prevent further debt accumulating, and to enable dealing with the existing debt in a manageable fashion. It doesn't, however, change the way the normal billing cycle works. For further information on pay as you go meters, see here.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement