Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC dropping connection

• 02-07-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

So im with upc about a month now speed is great but.... im getting connection drops. So most mornings 5 days last week I get up an the upc is not connected. The second light(DS?) is flashing. I will also post the status of the modem. The engineer out seemed to think it was upgrades in area and said last week there wouldnt be any work so to see what happens, but it still dropped. He also hinted that me changing the LAN ip of the modem could cause issues and that UPC may not support the modem via tech support because of that.... I know what you thinking, I was the same and he was talking though his ass. So anyone any ideas the engineer is back out Wednesday so need to have the info ready to have an argument.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Flash the latest Firmware and do a factory reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Receive power level is in the negative, I don't think that's a good thing.
    UPC network problem, probably just have to wait for engineer to run his tests.
    Don't flash your modem, stupid advice. Wait for the engineer to do what he has to do, just don't let him leave if it's not sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Had a guy come out because mine was dropping constantly, up to 20/30 times a day.
    He didn't run a single test. He did nothing.

That said, it's working quite well since he has been out. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

transmit power level is too high, mine sits at 40.9 41.2 dBmV constantly.
    You have the exact firmware version as me, and no issue this side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Heres a screen of it working. Got up this morning and was off did the normal restart and its back. Hopefully it gets sorted I made the parents switch and its my head on the chopping block :( Where would I get this firmware is I was to flash it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Having the same issue, constantly dropping and as the phone is VOIP when the connection goes so does the phone, we have spent more than one occaision talking and the connection is gone, I'm on my 3rd modem, have had 5 visits from UPC, latest one was today and the diagnosis today was that it could be a wireless issue, ie baby monitor, portable phone ???

I only signed with UPC in April. Looking like a bad decision.

Bartyman wrote: »
    Having the same issue, constantly dropping and as the phone is VOIP when the connection goes so does the phone, we have spent more than one occaision talking and the connection is gone, I'm on my 3rd modem, have had 5 visits from UPC, latest one was today and the diagnosis today was that it could be a wireless issue, ie baby monitor, portable phone ???

I only signed with UPC in April. Looking like a bad decision.

Wireless interference is causing the line to drop? Now thats a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Doylers wrote: »
    Wireless interference is causing the line to drop? Now thats a good one.

Yeah, I thought it a bit strange alright, I managed to capture some of the logs when it drops, commom error's appear to be;

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries...
    Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Eh that's bull, the UPC is a wired connection and them saying the problems are due to interference from wireless (baby monitors or otherwise) is just ridiculous.

Those error messages are down to their end of things, outside of your control.
    Phone their customer support in the evening and hopefully you'll get through to a non Irish person who is more capable.

I've had similar errors to that in the past and they were always down to UPC's network, at times a fair distance away from where I live.

So had engineer out and heres what went down. He tested the line with the power on and off(the house power) and said there was some interference on the line causing issues. He checked the outside of the line where it connects in also. He said it could be the modem but he wasnt really sure so he replaced it. When he was on the phone I hear him saying the modem was dropping slr's?? UPC on the phone didnt really know what was going on either, they tried to sell me tv again I told them I wanted functional broadband first. So after all that the modem didnt connected then when it did I couldnt access the settings then when we rested it the connection was lost bla bla bla was a long evening. Its now working with all my old settings but I can no longer log into the settings I dont really care anymore it works and is using my settings from a backup I made.

Hopefully it will work now without dropping.

Ps 192.168.1.1/gscan.asp

• Advertisement

Update: So the new modem didnt fix it connection has dropped the last few mornings. Another call to UPC they seem to think its something on their side and they will have an update tues of wed. The cheeky bollox also logged into the modem and was like what do you have connected I see you have a static ip set I dindt like that. So will update when I know more

Update: Engineers were out again, they seem to think its the amplifier on the street and I wasnt getting the right signal but im first on it. They swapped it out for a bigger one so I get more signal. Its ok the last 2 days so we will see if it continues

Advertisement