Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slough??

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone,
    Just after passing my final exams and preparing for a Job interview for Westham Park Hospital in Slough, only problem is, I know nothing about the place! Anyone lived there or know anything about the place or the hospital? Would it be a nice place to live and work? Is it far from central london? lots of questions I know, anything replies would be appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Slough's nightlife is incredible! It's got two nightclubs, it's got Chasers and New York, New York. They call it the nightclub that never sleeps. That closes at one.

There was, oh my god, a themed nightclub called Henry the Eights. This was incredible. It had the Anne Bol-inn, this is true, as you went into the loo, there was a sign that said mind your head, nice, and underneath someone had written 'And don't get your Hampton Court.' It's not there any more. But not a day goes by that I don't think about it.

I'm sure they make Mars Bars there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 imaginethat

maximoose do I detect a hint of sarcasm?? "the night club that never sleeps, that closes at one" haha. Henry he eights sounds good though! :D
    Also, mars bars? they should have put that on the description! :) Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Come, friendly bombs....(google it!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 imaginethat

"Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now"

Rough on Slough...
    Maybe its improved since 1937???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

maximoose do I detect a hint of sarcasm?? "the night club that never sleeps, that closes at one" haha. Henry he eights sounds good though! :D
    Also, mars bars? they should have put that on the description! :) Thanks guys!

Its from the office, which is based in Slough. I've been there a few times with work, seems grand in a "could literally be anywhere in England" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Congrats on passing the exams by the way. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I live near Slough. It doesn't have the best reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm sure they make Mars Bars there.

you need to go to Bonnie Scotland for authentic pile on the calorie Mars Bars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

G.K. wrote: »
    I live near Slough. It doesn't have the best reputation.

If watching tv is anything to go by, seems every second town in England is full of thick scum and/or drunks and the police have a field day every night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If watching tv is anything to go by, seems every second town in England is full of thick scum and/or drunks and the police have a field day every night.

You could be describing TV or outside my front window since I moved here, and I live in what is apparently one of the wealthiest parts of the UK.
    No joke its like having a town of either Mrs bucket's from the keeping up appearances or candidates that even the Jeremy Kyle would draw the line at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It's Wexham Park Hospital IIRC. Slough was only somewhere I drove through, many years ago. Had a reputation as being boring then; a friend later described Ankara (Turkey) as being like Slough but bigger. It should be very easy to get into Central London from there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mars have a large manufacturing base in Winnersh, which is near Slough.

As for Slough itself, it doesn't have a great reputation (but then this applies to a lot of places in the UK). A couple of friends of mine lived there growing up and it didn't sound like a particularly pleasant place to be, but that likely depends at least to some extent on where you live.

One thing I would say is that you should consider your transport/commute in the context of somewhere closer to London - you're likely to enjoy life a lot more if you can find somewhere to live closer to Central London from where you can easily commute, than you would living in or around Slough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Grew up near there and used to work there, incredibly dull place, feels neither part of London or provincial like Reading is, which is apt as it's in between the two.

If you can stretch to it financially, you're better off living in Ealing and getting the train out there every day, it's only 20 odd minutes, Ealing has a London vibe, some reasonable Pubs, Cafes and Restaurants and easy access to Central London

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Could be worse, could be Staines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Rough on Slough...
    Maybe its improved since 1937???
    Yes, I'm sure that several decades of 'regeneration' and brutalism have only improved things...

Do yourself a favour and avoid Slough if possible. The best that can be said about the place is that it's not Basildon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Transport links around that area ore pretty good - live somewhere else and commute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Could be worse, could be Staines.

St. Aines as us ex-locals liked to call it.....though it is now Staines-Upon-Thames....how very posh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

Settle in any other place that surrounds Slough.
    Enjoy yourself in any other place that surrounds Slough.
    Do NOT work & play in Slough. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know Slough very well. It is a much maligned town and has a bad reputation. Unfortunately, most of it is not unfair.

The areas around Slough are very good. Windsor is an excellent place to live and it is easy to get into London from there. The trouble with Wexham Park Hospital (which is a very good hospital, it is one of the emergency hospitals for Heathrow) is that it is a good distance from the station.

I played Football for a Slough team for years (Cippenham United) and some of the areas we played in (ie the Britwell Community Centre aka the Chicken Ranch)were as rough as you will find anywhere, but others, like the Polish Club are lovely.

There is an Irish Club in Slough as well, near Slough Town FC's ground.

Better off living in Maidenhead, Windsor or commuting from London though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement