Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banksy art on Suir Road bridge?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I was on the red line Luas yesterday and spotted what I thought was a very "Banksy" type graffiti piece on the base of the bridge on Suir Road. Anyone get a closer look to confirm this or know about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Yeah its of a kid fishing if I remember correctly and its been there a while, dont know who did it, never heard anything about it, but its a nice piece of art all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No doubt painted by some unemployed crusty who lives with his mother and has never been with a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Not Banksy, but Dublin's very own ADW.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/if-youre-going-to-ruin-a-piece-of-art/

adwh.jpg

I, for one, thought it was stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

and so do I

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Some more on the piece:

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/if-only-they-took-election-posters-down-as-quick/

Including this heartbreaking titbit from ADW's site:

"During a big freeze in December 2010 a couple tragically drowned along the same stretch of canal. It is thought that one of them fell into the canal because of the icy conditions, and that the other drowned during a rescue attempt. RIP."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

hXci wrote: »
    I, for one, thought it was stunning!

Definitely a step above the standard for the area :D

211551.jpg

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

hXci wrote: »
    Some more on the piece:

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/if-only-they-took-election-posters-down-as-quick/

Including this heartbreaking titbit from ADW's site:

"During a big freeze in December 2010 a couple tragically drowned along the same stretch of canal. It is thought that one of them fell into the canal because of the icy conditions, and that the other drowned during a rescue attempt. RIP."

I drove down today to take snap of it.
    I noticed the cross with a couples name on it alright on the green beside it RIP.
    Where's the other painting?
    I thought it was a great piece.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I noticed the cross with a couples name on it alright on the green beside it RIP.

Unfortunately a few people have died at those bridge(s) - as there are three bridges there, 2 road and the luas. A couple of years ago someone else died under the first bridge (don't know the circumstances), but you often see flowers and graffiti there. Prior to that I remember a joyrider being killed when he crashed at high speed a number of years ago.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, it's a nice piece of graffitti. There was another one over the other side, shown in photos. But it's been painted over.

there have been seven deaths at this junction in the last 15 years or so. A man drove his volvo into the lock.

three lads died on Millenium night, in a car crash

one lad died after falling in in 2009, I think, then the couple mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Degsy wrote: »
    No doubt painted by some unemployed crusty who lives with his mother and has never been with a woman.

Tell me more about your career as an Art Critic...

• Advertisement
Advertisement