Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the law courses in W.I.T like?

• 02-07-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Any information about how the WIT Law courses compare to that of UCC, for example, would be appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

I completed the BA honours Law degree in 2009.

Getting a BCL or LLB or the BA Law (from WIT) All prepare you for the same thing and on paper will qualify you to enter the Kings Inns or Black hall at the same level. However there is a reputation part of it. The WIT is still an institute of Technology its not a university so it doesn’t have the reputation in the legal world as the others do. Having said that it is getting a good rep around the country, there are quite a few successful alumni with this degree. Also many of my friends who went on to do masters in Trinity or UCC were complemented on their writing by lecturers.

In college the main difference is this. UCC is big, the WIT is small. In the WIT you will do all the core law modules but you will not have such a great choice for electives. Also in the WIT there is only the Law soc. In UCC there is a Law Soc, Phil Soc, History Soc, Debating Soc, etc Is easier to get involved and there are more things are happening. But one great point about the WIT being small is that the students get to know their lecturers and vice versa. Many of the lecturers will help you a lot. Also smaller classes and smaller seminar groups only help your study in my opinion.

I had a great time in the WIT, It was well worth it. Is it better than the others? I cant answer that, but if you cant get the points for the other the WIT is great back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Undecided95

That helped a lot, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

I did this course a few years ago and its well regarded and well known. 50% of my classmates are solicitors/barristers with the rest working in different sectors banking/insurance etc.

The course work is fine -20 hrs per week plus study. Very managable and probably similar to UCC. Subjects would also be similar as would the lecturers. i.e. some excellent one others no so...
    Classes are reasonably small compared to UCC so its easier to get to know your lecturer (but more difficult to hide).
    Apart from first year you used have to achieve a 55% average to get into the next year which is tricky. I think UCC students obnly had to pass to guarantee their place.
    Brand name, and thats purely what its is IMO, UCC is better. If you had to seek work outside Ireland UCC would be more recognisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm currently studying Law at WIT. Although I don't particularly like the course, I have to say the lecturers are absolutely amazing, and the class sizes ideal.
    We study all the core law modules, six modules per semester. In first year we had about 24 hours of lectures a week.
    The lecturers are absolutely top class, very interested in the students and willing to help with anything they can. They are happy to photocopy notes if you are unable to afford the expensive books.
    Classes are small which makes it easier to get the attention you need from lecturers.
    College Rd campus is lovely. I don't like the course because I find it particularly difficult, its basically my own issue, the lecturers do everything they can to help me.

Advertisement