Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this plant is?

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

We bought this a few years ago and are now looking to get another one. We went to Plantagen and they couldn't identify it (they gave it a very decent stab at it though) So rather than wandering through garden centres for the next couple of months I'd rather get the name and then call the garden centre ahead of time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Broche07 wrote: »
    We bought this a few years ago and are now looking to get another one. We went to Plantagen and they couldn't identify it (they gave it a very decent stab at it though) So rather than wandering through garden centres for the next couple of months I'd rather get the name and then call the garden centre ahead of time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Barry

Hmmm tricky

Could be a variety of Choisya, maybe goldfingers? But the red stems are tricky.
    Could even be a variety of splurge (euphorbia)

If you break a stem, is it sticky? (Wear gloves when you do break a piece)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks like the Mountain Pepper (eg Drymis lanceolata 'Red Spice') which is a real beauty and a Gardener's plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Pieris japonica.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

both right it's a hybrid... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think Sonnenblumen has it right http://tinyurl.com/cb7pjkw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

A variety of Drimys (maybe aromatica or lanceolata).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

yeah it's a drimys, its an acid lover so check your soil type before you plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to go and find it!

Advertisement