Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on AMD's 7000 series.

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I initially was thinking of getting an OCed 7850. I then thought I should get a 7950. After looking through multiple posts on both cards I'm kind of unsure as to what to do next. Comparing the 7950 to cards like the GTX 560ti 448 core(which is a year and a half old?) the 7950 is only 15% or so faster at 1080p and is around 60% more expensive. Should I just get the 7850 and in 2 or so years when I need to upgrade I can just throw in another 7850? Or should I bite the bullet and go all out now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the 7950 is pretty poor value for money.

7850 is great, and the 7870 is if you can afford to splash a little, will OC to very near 7950 levels. I'd sooner get a gtx670 than 7950.

most generations usually bring increased performance at lower prices, but this gen has an almost linear increase in price and performance :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the 7950 is pretty poor value for money.

7850 is great, and the 7870 is if you can afford to splash a little, will OC to very near 7950 levels. I'd sooner get a gtx670 than 7950.

most generations usually bring increased performance at lower prices, but this gen has an almost linear increase in price and performance :(

So would I be better served getting the 7870 OC edition for €60 more than the 7850?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how long is a ball of string?

We can't really say what you should and shouldn't do. we only advise on how to best spend your budget for a balanced system.

always buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford.

what's your budget?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    how long is a ball of string?

We can't really say what you should and shouldn't do. we only advise on how to best spend your budget for a balanced system.

always buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford.

what's your budget?

I have around €1100. I was just wondering if it, in your opinion, is worth the extra 60.

Item|Price
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Revoltec Wired Gaming Mouse W102|€7.73
    Samsung SH-D163C SATA schwarz|€13.03
    BenQ G2255|€100.98
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.12
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€104.66
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€52.93
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€108.13
    Sapphire HD 7870 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€290.06
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.53
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1020.15

The only thing that may change is the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Advertisement

It might be no harm to throw an SATA cable into your order. Many motherboards are only coming with two in the box and you have three drives in total.

Monotype wrote: »
    It might be no harm to throw an SATA cable into your order. Many motherboards are only coming with two in the box and you have three drives in total.

Cheers almost forgot that. I had watched a review on a couple and they had mentioned it, I must've just ignored it for some reason.
    I assume any old SATA cables will do?

Yeah, any old ones will do. There's cheaper ones there for 61c too. Whatever ones you like, some people find the angled ones handy.

Yeah, any old ones will do. There's cheaper ones there for 61c too. Whatever ones you like, some people find the angled ones handy.

Completely off topic but checked my bank balance today (Ulster Bank) and I had €100 more than I should. I took all my money out and closed the account (unbelievably difficult. Took nearly an hour to do.). Do you think they'll bother pursuing the €100? Looking to get a 670 with the extra cash haha.

• Advertisement

O.O You robbed a bank? I have no idea where you'd stand with that. 100 euro is not that much in the grand scheme unless it happened to a lot of people. I could imagine that they'd send a few letters - as banks they have certain powers when it comes to overdrafts but since the account is closed... Then again an account is never really 'closed', only deactivated.

Nice way to treat a bank that gives you a present - you go and take your business elsewhere! ;)

Are you sure it wasn't a delayed transaction or anything? Interest earned maybe... ?

O.O You robbed a bank? I have no idea where you'd stand with that. 100 euro is not that much in the grand scheme unless it happened to a lot of people. I could imagine that they'd send a few letters - as banks they have certain powers when it comes to overdrafts but since the account is closed... Then again an account is never really 'closed', only deactivated.

Nice way to treat a bank that gives you a present - you go and take your business elsewhere! ;)

Are you sure it wasn't a delayed transaction or anything? Interest earned maybe... ?

Looked at my account yesterday it was 1466.99. Looked today and it was 1566.99. I took 100 out around two weeks ago to help my girlfriend out. They had it right when my balance was 1466.99. I'm still waiting for the "you are overdrawn by €100" crap. Going to try lie my way out. There fault. Not mine haha.:D

Sheesh, well you're a nice guy. :pac: I might try to get away with 100 quid myself but I wouldn't push luck too far. They have video evidence at every cash source if they need it. It's just down to whether they think it's worth it.
    Also keep in mind that banks share credit rating information so if they do track down the missing money, ulster bank will likely know about it and opening new accounts elsewhere may make note of it. Not that 100 is that much unless it's at an outrageous interest rate.

Sheesh, well you're a nice guy. :pac: I might try to get away with 100 quid myself but I wouldn't push luck too far. They have video evidence at every cash source if they need it. It's just down to whether they think it's worth it.
    Also keep in mind that banks share credit rating information so if they do track down the missing money, ulster bank will likely know about it and opening new accounts elsewhere may make note of it. Not that 100 is that much unless it's at an outrageous interest rate.

I was going to just take out a few quid until I heard how the employees were talking to some of the customers. I was standing in line and some woman went up with all these letters stamped by the Welfare office saying the last four payments were in her account. So by all means she had a right to it. The guy just looked at her and was like "well, it's not my fault you chose Ulster Bank." It just annoyed me.

Very poor show by Ulster Bank. But if you want anything done about it, you should complain.

Advertisement