Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just the box - A gaming/programming build

Options
  • 02-07-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [~€550]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Programming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Couple of 2.5" laptop Hard drives for storage]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. What resolution is your current monitor ? [1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa Debit]

9. When are you purchasing? [When Ulster Bank cop on]

Note: I just got an i5-3570k so no need to include that.
    Item|Price
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€54.03
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.23
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.53
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.49
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€67.70
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€34.89
    Logilink Aluline externes USB 3.0 Gehäuse 2,5" S-ATA|€7.77
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€380.98

So this is my first build and I cant wait to order, been lurking here for 2 years. I may add the Saphire HD6870 when I get my salary after Ulster banks cock up. Or I may just survive on integrated until I can afford one.

Questions:
    1)If I put old 2.5inch hard drives in the enclosure which is rated at 300MB/s connect it by USB 3.0 Will I get the max speed from these drives?
    2)Would a HD7850 be overkill at 1080p or would a HD6870 be fine?
    3)The Shinobi comes with only one case fan surely I need another 120mm fan for the front? Although I NEVER see anyone with extra fans in their basket, whats the deal there?
    4)When are Nvidas new midrange cards due?
    5)Will the 450w be ok for anything upto and including a HD7850 (Im dreaming :D)
    6)Anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Questions:
    1)If I put old 2.5inch hard drives in the enclosure which is rated at 300MB/s connect it by USB 3.0 Will I get the max speed from these drives?
    2)Would a HD7850 be overkill at 1080p or would a HD6870 be fine?
    3)The Shinobi comes with only one case fan surely I need another 120mm fan for the front? Although I NEVER see anyone with extra fans in their basket, whats the deal there?
    4)When are Nvidas new midrange cards due?
    5)Will the 450w be ok for anything upto and including a HD7850 (Im dreaming :D)
    6)Anything else?

1) I don't know.
    2)The 6870 is nearly 2 years old. I'd probably try save an extra €50/€60 and get the 7850. You don't wanna purchase the 6870 only to realise you probably should have gone for the 7850. It's €50/€60 now as opposed to €200 odd in a year or so.
    3)Can't really answer that. I've a tonne of small 120mm axial fans from my engineering project left over so when I get mine I'll prob just use them up.
    4)Read on the Nvidia forums they're looking to drop them around Christmas(I could be very wrong.)
    5)It should be fine with just the one card and no huge amount of overclocking.
    6)It could be that I'm getting very tired but I can't for the life of me see a CPU on that list. Oh wait. Yep it just clicked there.

Excuse the edits. I'm tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Sarz91 wrote: »
    1) I don't know.
    3)Can't really answer that. I've a tonne of small 120mm axial fans from my engineering project left over so when I get mine I'll prob just use them up.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yay, just got my salary finally (Damn Ulster bank). I'm ready to order. So Ill ask the important questions again:

Thinking of changing that 64GB 830 to the 128GB version - its only €30 for double the space. I'll probably get a 6870 from next months salary (I'm only an intern).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

2)The Shinobi comes with only one case fan surely I need another 120mm fan for the front? Although I NEVER see anyone with extra fans in their basket, whats the deal there?4)When are Nvidas new midrange cards due?

3)Thinking of changing that 64GB 830 to the 128GB version - its only €30 for double the space. I'll probably get a 6870 from next months salary (I'm only an intern).

1) If the enclosure supports USB3 (not just connecting to USB 3), then you'll get full speed out of the HDD.

2) Modern midrange stuff isn't that hot and 120mm fans are used now instead of the previously common 80mm, but 2 fans is a good choice.

3) Good idea if you can afford it. Cheapest place I've seen is dabs for these - HWV have also reduced now so you'd only save 50c or so.

4) Not sure.

Monotype wrote: »
    2) Modern midrange stuff isn't that hot and 120mm fans are used now instead of the previously common 80mm, but 2 fans is a good choice.

Cool so I'll consider adding another fan. Are the Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans any good they seem expensive but you can turn on and off the led which is handy. Ive done no research on 120mm fans so I'm going to need a few recommendations here. I think I'll add one 120mm fan at the front of the Shinobi and then there will be one at the front and back. Sound ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think i know where someone is doing their internship :)

What are the SSD prices like from them? You might be able to save a few quid there.

• Advertisement

I think i know where someone is doing their internship :)

What are the SSD prices like from them? You might be able to save a few quid there.

I'm not my mate from college is we are both on co-op experience but I'm somewhere else :) They don't sell SSDs separately, just in a bundle with a processor I didn't want to get!

Intel SSDs are so overpriced these days that even a substantial discount wouldn't be worthwhile. Stick with the Samsung.

Monotype wrote: »
    Intel SSDs are so overpriced these days that even a substantial discount wouldn't be worthwhile. Stick with the Samsung.

Yeah just googled it, will do. I'm sorry to keep asking questions but I'm ordering today :D Anyone recommend a good 120mm case fan for the front?

I was looking for a quiet 3 pin fan recently and this enermax does a good job for the price.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/36288/Enermax+T.B.Silence+12x12cm.article
    Out of stock but they also have a 4 pin one...
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/57669/Enermax+T.B.Silence+PWM+12cm.article

I think it was a bit cheaper before. You could try some of Scythe's ones. They have different RPMs:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/30981/Scythe+Slip+Stream+120+mm+Lüfter%2C+800rpm.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/30980/Scythe+Slip+Stream+120+mm+Lüfter%2C+1600rpm.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/30976/Scythe+Slip+Stream+120+mm+Lüfter%2C+1900rpm.article

Or if your motherboard has good fan configuration and you want to pick something as cheap as possible.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Case+fans/49251/ARCTIC+COOLING+ARCTIC+F12+PWM.article

That's just the cheaper end of the scale, you can spend a lot more to get better mounting or manual control.

Right after much help and research I'm ready to order.

Item|Price
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€54.03
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.23
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.53
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.49
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Logilink Aluline externes USB 3.0 Gehäuse 2,5" S-ATA|€7.77
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€34.89
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's NB Upgrade Kit|€99.90
    Enermax T.B.Silence PWM 12cm|€7.99
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€421.17

Should I be worried about the 830 SSD being out of stock? Odds are by the time they get my payment they will have it back in (Well going on how it came back into stock in just one day yesterday). I'll get a gaming graphics card when funds permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Should I be worried about the 830 SSD being out of stock? Odds are by the time they get my payment they will have it back in (Well going on how it came back into stock in just one day yesterday).

Well you can save a 2 euros on amazon for that SSD:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5inch-Notebook-Accessory-Norton/dp/B005OK6VJU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341515219&sr=8-3
    Will arrive quickly and for free, so you've nothing to lose...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Nazata wrote: »
    Well you can save a 2 euros on amazon for that SSD:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5inch-Notebook-Accessory-Norton/dp/B005OK6VJU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341515219&sr=8-3
    Will arrive quickly and for free, so you've nothing to lose...

Don't forget to account for Irish VAT rates and Amazon exchange rates, it actually works out as €103 if you order from Amazon.

Advertisement