Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding a wallet scenario

• 02-07-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Give your honest answer.

If you found a wallet with a lot of money in it, would you hand it in to the Garda station or put the money in your pocket yourself?

I would hand it in - no matter how much was in the wallet as the guilt would get to me. However, while talking about this scenario at work today, I was surprised how many said they would keep the dosh.

What would you do?

What would you do? 97 votes

Hand it in to the Gardai
    0% 0 votes
    Keep it
    74% 72 votes
    Keep the cash but hand the wallet in with cards etc
    6% 6 votes
    Atari alligator skin wallet
    19% 19 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dont hand it in keep the cash,nah id probably hand it in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 xylophones

who has the balls to walk into a garda station,acting like the good samaritan,having commited a crime?.....
    but anyway,yeah i'd return it all,its theft no matter how you look at it and i'm no criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd take the money out and hand the wallet in and say there was nothing in it when I found it except this old condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if it had a name and address in it i would give it back. if there was no id id bring it to the gardai, then the cow would jump over the moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Lost my wallet, 2 months later I got a phone call from a Garda Station, nowhere near where I lost it. Picked it up, still had the money in it.

Just because of that, Id hand it in with the money. Id rob the Xtravision card though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Change all the notes to one cent coins, put them into the wallet and return the wallet to the owner.

The expression would be good to see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Id keep the money, find out where they live, return the empty wallet, then mug them and break into their house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You'd have to be pretty mean not to hand it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

You'd have to be pretty mean not to hand it in.

If money was tight I can see why people would keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I would hand it in with its entire contents, it's not honest to take money/IDs etc. I'd be eaten with the guilt.

I would like for someone to grant me the courtesy if i lost my purse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

<
    All Round Nice Guy- it'd get handed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

id take a small finders fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'd hand it in. You wouldn't know how much the person needed the money, be it 50 euro or 500 euro. I would feel so guilty if I took any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I'd take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

What happens to the wallet and its contents if it is handed in and never claimed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I could never take the money or not hand it in. It's just not in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

If it were a wallet I would hand it in. If it was cash lying on the street I would keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

not a wallet but i handed in a bank card plus 300 euro the other day at my local bank the machine was slow and the woman in front off me thought it wasnt working and went in to the bank to get help
    when i came to the machine the card plus money were sitting there
    she was in the bank when i handed it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would appreciate, if mine would be handed back to me. That's why I would hand back the wallet to his owner...or ask someone else to hand it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I would hand it in with its entire contents, it's not honest to take money/IDs etc. I'd be eaten with the guilt.

I would like for someone to grant me the courtesy if i lost my purse.

If if you lost your purse, would you honestly go into the garda station and see if a person handed it in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    What happens to the wallet and its contents if it is handed in and never claimed?

The guards will contact the owner if the wallet contains ID, otherwise they hold it for a specified period of time. If no one claims it they return it to you.

I would return it, I would hate it to happen to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If if you lost your purse, would you honestly go into the garda station and see if a person handed it in?

Of course?!

I would go to lengths to find the person who owned the purse and return it to them, cash and all.

I'd hand it in. Especially after seeing this the other day http://i.imgur.com/gs2hW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm surprised there's so many saying they'd hand it in, money and all. Being honest, I'd probably take the money, then hand it in. The Gardai will only have it if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

If anyone finds a wallet with money in it, drop me a line.

It's mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if there's ID of any sort inside, then I'd get in contact with them myself if possible, and failing that I'd hand it in to Gardai.

if there's no ID inside (ie just wallet with cash in it) I'd keep it.

there's a part of me that just doesnt trust Gardai with handed-in money like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

would be straight into my pocket and then when i get home get a good fire going and burn the wallet. cause if you use it yourself then bump into the person who lost it in a bar etc could be awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

being honest....
    If I saw someone drop their wallet and I picked it up. I'd give it back to them.

But if I found a wallet? I wouldnt use any credit cards, xtra-vision cards (etc) But i'd take the cash and wouldnt turn the wallet in.

I've heard some stories about handing it into the gardai and they be looking at you with two-heads thinking you stole it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd hand it in, I've handed in sums of money that I found on the street because i'm just that f**king nice. Plus that money could be a families rent or food for the month.

That said, If I found a wallet with a big wad of cash in it, and the ID belonged to a fiontan o'fauntleroy out in dalkey or somewhere then I dunno. I'd be tempted to pocket it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The thread reminds me of something I saw when I was a kid in City Centre.

Some guy was walking down the street and something fell out of his pocket. Immediately the woman behind him bent down, picked it up, put it in her pocket and carried on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I never lose my money, I use a bumbag. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

marknjb wrote: »
    not a wallet but i handed in a bank card plus 300 euro the other day at my local bank the machine was slow and the woman in front off me thought it wasnt working and went in to the bank to get help
    when i came to the machine the card plus money were sitting there
    she was in the bank when i handed it in

That's a classic with the financially distressed suburban housewife. Withdraw cash at ATM go into bank before cash has dispensed and have your "friend" grab the money while your inside. Its all on CCTV so you are in the clear, so you get your cash refunded into your account and then share the cash with your "friend".

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If no one claims it after one year you get to keep the money.

I would hand it into the guards and If I lost my purse I would ask at the station if it was handed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

If someone justs keeps the money or wallet, than they are the same as a pick pocket, thief or robber. You cant justify keeping it. Saying that we found a wallet out in the street with no id or any kind of paper work, just £80 in it. 40 bucks each.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

In the bank a few days ago queuing up to buy foreign currency. When the women ahead of me finished her transaction, she was flustered putting her wad of dollars into her bag and dropped a fifty bill right by my feet. I could easily have put my foot on it, dragged it forward, carried out my transaction, went down with my cash in hand after and scooped it up rather easily. But decided to pick it up and run after her.

I must admit, I did mull it over for a split second before going after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

When I was younger I'd have kept it but now I'd give it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I've never been lucky enough to find a wallet full of cash. Ergo, I must be one to take the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I found a wallet in the city centre, when I was a first year college student, about 10 years ago now (that makes me feel old).

It had about 350 euro in cash in it, plus credit cards, receipts etc.

There was nothing in it that I could use to directly contact the owner. I handed all of it in to Pearse street Garda station, and got them to give me a receipt for handing it in. I also asked them to ask the owner to give me a call when she received the wallet. (As it'd be easy for the Gardai to find the owner from the credit cards).

Owner called me up a day or two later; called me pretty early in the morning when I was still sleeping; she said thanks. As I had just woken up, I didn't think to ask if she had received all the cash, but I presume she did.

I would not have a problem with keeping (untraceable) cash found on a city centre street; but as the owner of the wallet was going to be traceable, from the credit cards, I handed it in.

Possibly the owner really needed the money, and was going to be in a tight spot without it. Probably not, but possibly.

Its what I'd want someone to do for me. I've benefited from the kindness of strangers; had a phone returned to me, that I lost on Dublin bus once; chipped an elbow in a cycling accident (involving a bad driver who drove on) and had a stranger do a lot for me, bring me home, etc.

I've read some economics. I know its locally irrational, to hand in the cash in the wallet. The most locally self-regardingly rational thing to do is probably to tell stories like this on the Internet, so everyone else hands in wallets, but while really secretly keeping the money when you get the chance. I understand that argument.

I didn't hand the wallet in because I believe in some religious system of ethics, or fear of divine punishment, either.

Theres a level at which I believe we are all in this together, basically.
    You've got to start from somewhere. Its just a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'd stick an extra 200 euro in it and return it to the owner just to confuse them. I'm ****ing minted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'd hand in the cash and keep the wallet, my own one is in bits!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Give your honest answer.

If you found a wallet with a lot of money in it, would you hand it in to the Garda station or put the money in your pocket yourself?

I would hand it in - no matter how much was in the wallet as the guilt would get to me. However, while talking about this scenario at work today, I was surprised how many said they would keep the dosh.

What would you do?

Found a Purse with a sum of money on a bus last week. Handed it in. Told the driver, Got the owners name, and Sent a message out on twitter with some of the details

Still getting tortured with retweets :pac:

I believe in karma. its not yours, so give it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I've heard some stories about handing it into the gardai and they be looking at you with two-heads thinking you stole it :rolleyes:

Honestly, I find that very hard to believe. I didn't get the merest suggestion of that, and really, do the Gardai get a lot of thieves coming in to the station to hand things in?

I'd presume that thieves try to avoid spending time in Garda stations, and I'd be surprised if the Gardai thought otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I dont sit around all day worrying about matters of conscience. Unless it actually happened, I dont know what Id do. If it was money on the street, Id probably keep it, if it was someones wallet with their name on it, id probably hand it in.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I lost my Wallet before, the most annoying thing is getting credit cards / ID's / Cards replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I have twice found wallets thats contained cash and cards and on both occasions i returned them to the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

found a wallet with a photo of a serious, serious babe in it.

made a date for the handover, her dad turned up instead. babe was 'unable to come'.

b'astard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

If it had an I.D in it, yeah sure, I'd fnd him/her on facebook and give it back, but if it was just cash, why would I hand over cash to a Gardai station? The owner is never gonna get it back.

And some people saying that if they found notes on the street they would hand it into a gardai station, are you mad? Yes its nice but why, the owner will never get it but i'm guessing the gardai will get a slice....Theres a difference between being nice and just idiotic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Give your honest answer.

What would you do?

i had a wallet handed back in Melbourne by a decent lad, (he called up a number in a jewelers tag inside).

so next wallet i find i will hand it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Found a handbag when checking my tyre pressure last year. It had an American passport in it, and loads of dollars. I handed it into the gardaí and they got it back to the panicking tourist. I felt good. If I had taken it I'd have felt bad. So that's the moral of my story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement