Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding a wallet scenario

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I found a wallet which contained about €2,000 a few years ago. I tracked down the owner; an old man. He gave me a reward for my trouble. A euro. One friggng euro :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Keep the cash and return the wallet.

It saves you handing back the wallet and the owner giving it the awkward "here's €10 for your troubles" No need to put them in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I'd hand in the purse as my friend lost hers and two wks later it was returned the garda station rang her as her contact details were in the purse& she got her money back too :D now if i found money on the street I might pick that up as id see it as a sign of good luck for me for once!! Lol!!

I found a wallet which contained about €2,000 a few years ago. I tracked down the owner; an old man. He gave me a reward for my trouble. A euro. One friggng euro :mad:

He's probably still telling that story down the pub.
    "She returned 2 grand to me and expected a reward, ya should have seen her face when I gave her the euro.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

fergalr wrote: »
    Honestly, I find that very hard to believe. I didn't get the merest suggestion of that, and really, do the Gardai get a lot of thieves coming in to the station to hand things in?

I'd presume that thieves try to avoid spending time in Garda stations, and I'd be surprised if the Gardai thought otherwise?

Its happens. But depends on the gardai in question.
    Sometimes you can get hit with the 20 questions rountine to suss you out. If they dont like the looks of you.

(1) where did you find the wallet?
    (2) did you inspect the wallet?
    (3) how did you come by the wallet?
    (4) whats your name?
    (5) whats your address?

[They can proceed to ask the same questions again to see if you stumble on your answers:]

(6) where was the wallet found again?

[If they plain ol' dont like the look of you:]

(7) was there any cash in the wallet? Thats an offense if ye took it out ya know.

(etc)

Gardai are thought to be sussing out everyone at every moment. If they dont think you stole it, they'll do their best suss you out at least. But of course, as I say depends on the gardai. Some will take it and asks the bare questions ending with "cheers for that" ... just certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Social welfare card...everything gets handed back...

Brown Thomas loyalty card....cash in pocket, rest in the bin....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

If I found a wallet, I'd try to contact the person, or go to the Gardaí. I'd be racked with guilt if I kept anything in it.
    TheStook wrote: »
    And some people saying that if they found notes on the street they would hand it into a gardai station, are you mad? Yes its nice but why, the owner will never get it but i'm guessing the gardai will get a slice....Theres a difference between being nice and just idiotic

My mam found a fifty euro note on the street a few years ago. She took it to the guards, and the guy at the desk was so surprised that money was handed in, he called out some of the lads from the back to tell them! It wasn't claimed, they called her (after about a year I guess?!) and she gave it to charity.

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Social welfare card...everything gets handed back...

Brown Thomas loyalty card....cash in pocket, rest in the bin....

Tax payer gets shafted again :mad:

If I found a wallet, I'd try to contact the person, or go to the Gardaí. I'd be racked with guilt if I kept anything in it.

My mam found a fifty euro note on the street a few years ago. She took it to the guards, and the guy at the desk was so surprised that money was handed in, he called out some of the lads from the back to tell them! It wasn't claimed, they called her (after about a year I guess?!) and she gave it to charity.

I'm honestly suprised the gardai didnt keep it for themselves. Sure how is handed-in money meant to be claimed anyways? :pac: we could all say we lost a 50 euro note :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Its happens. But depends on the gardai in question.
    Sometimes you can get hit with the 20 questions rountine to suss you out. If they dont like the looks of you.

(1) where did you find the wallet?
    (2) did you inspect the wallet?
    (3) how did you come by the wallet?
    (4) whats your name?
    (5) whats your address?

[They can proceed to ask the same questions again to see if you stumble on your answers:]

(6) where was the wallet found again?

[If they plain ol' dont like the look of you:]

(7) was there any cash in the wallet? Thats an offense if ye took it out ya know.

(etc)

Gardai are thought to be sussing out everyone at every moment. If they dont think you stole it, they'll do their best suss you out at least. But of course, as I say depends on the gardai. Some will take it and asks the bare questions ending with "cheers for that" ... just certain people.

I'm sure you are making up some of that.

If someone goes into a garda station reporting they lost their wallet the guard will want to know where they lost it, how much was in it, etc to see if it matches up with what was handed in.
    They are not just going to hand out the wallet to the first person in reporting one stolen.

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sure you are making up some of that.

If someone goes into a garda station reporting they lost their wallet the guard will want to know where they lost it, how much was in it, etc to see if it matches up with what was handed in.
    They are not just going to hand out the wallet to the first person in reporting one stolen.

Not making nothing up.
    When you hand something in, some gardai will try to suss you out (Note, some) If not with the idea that you stole it. But to suss you out as a person.

Lets create an example.
    A guy goes into Store street gardai station to hand in a wallet he found outside jervis street (or where ever) Now he is what can be classed as a skanger. Talks, dresses, you name it like one. But he is handing a wallet in. Now to me and you, instantly that tells us he is an alright bloke. But still a "skanger".

Now some gardai will use that opportunity, because they dont like the looks of him, to suss him out with 20 questions. More questions than what they would ask me or you.

If you disagree with the idea that they would be looking at someone with two-heads thinking they stole it? thats cool :) But you have to accept that there are certain members of the gardai that will suss someone out even in positive situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

I'd take out whatever cash was in it and then post back the wallet plus the rest of the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

Found one with €600 in it
    Gave it back
    Owner was overcome with tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Not making nothing up.
    When you hand something in, some gardai will try to suss you out (Note, some) If not with the idea that you stole it. But to suss you out as a person.

Lets create an example.
    A guy goes into Store street gardai station to hand in a wallet he found outside jervis street (or where ever) Now he is what can be classed as a skanger. Talks, dresses, you name it like one. But he is handing a wallet in. Now to me and you, instantly that tells us he is an alright bloke. But still a "skanger".

Now some gardai will use that opportunity, because they dont like the looks of him, to suss him out with 20 questions. More questions than what they would ask me or you.

If you disagree with the idea that they would be looking at someone with two-heads thinking they stole it? thats cool :) But you have to accept that there are certain members of the gardai that will suss someone out even in positive situations.

I would imagine in your case the mohawk, excessive gold jewellery, dungarees and general air of aggression unsettles them somewhat.

Don't, under any circumstances, tell them 'to get some nuts':cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I've found 2 wallets over the past year or so,both in front of a hotel near my house.I didn't open either of them (just in case I'd be tempted by a wad of €100 notes or something!) and brought them down to the Garda station and let the Garda on the desk open it in front of me instead.

One wallet was a German tourist's with a couple of hundred in cash + credit cards and the other was just some Irish lads wallet with a few quid and bank cards etc.Both Gardai who I dealt with were both very pleasant too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

My brother saw an I-phone on the ground at a festival last year and picked it up. He was going to hold it up and ask who owned it but realised anyone could simply lie and say it was theirs so he rang the number called "home" and arranged to give it back to the woman who owned it.
    A week later he received a card in the post with a very sincere thank you and a gift voucher included. Much better feeling then the guilt he would have had if he kept it.

Shame on anyone who would keep a wallet/Purse/etc. If if happened to one of you ye would have a thread opened up here in no time to complain about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'd hand it in straight away.

I think of it as, how would you feel if you lost your wallet? Surely you would like someone to hand it in instead of robbing you blindly.

Even if I find money on the street, I would quickly go around seeing if anyone lost the money, if not, I'd hand it into a local shop, it would be up to them to do the right thing then, and if no one shows up then they can have it.

I wasn't raised a theif, where it be finding money or forcely obtaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Normally I'd contact the owner myself and not bring it to the Gardai but I recently found a wallet in Dunnes and handed it to the manager presuming the customer would realise when they got to the checkout that the wallet was gone. Spent the rest of my shopping trip watching people at the checkout and waiting for realisation that their wallet was gone , never happened so I dont know if it was ever returned.

My uncle found a handbag with a large sum of money in it and no identification so he brought it to a Garda station , he was contacted after a couple of years and was given the money as it had never been claimed.

If it had an I.D in it, yeah sure, I'd fnd him/her on facebook and give it back, but if it was just cash, why would I hand over cash to a Gardai station? The owner is never gonna get it back.

And some people saying that if they found notes on the street they would hand it into a gardai station, are you mad? Yes its nice but why, the owner will never get it but i'm guessing the gardai will get a slice....Theres a difference between being nice and just idiotic

How do you know? You do realise people ring the guards when they loose something. A couple of questions and they are back with their money.

The guards don't "keep it" and if they do, then that means the owner never reported it stolen and the guards had no way to identify the owner.

The money might be given to you as the owner didn't claim it. Hence why they guards take your details if you hand one in, and also to allow the owner to be able to contact you especially if the waller had a large sum of money.

I would imagine in your case the mohawk, excessive gold jewellery, dungarees and general air of aggression unsettles them somewhat.

Don't, under any circumstances, tell them 'to get some nuts':cool:.

you're like the 4th person on boards to make a mr t joke towards me.

• Advertisement

I'm original like that :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Make that 5 sucka!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

lee3155 wrote: »
    How do you know? You do realise people ring the guards when they loose something. A couple of questions and they are back with their money.

The guards don't "keep it" and if they do, then that means the owner never reported it stolen and the guards had no way to identify the owner.

The money might be given to you as the owner didn't claim it. Hence why they guards take your details if you hand one in, and also to allow the owner to be able to contact you especially if the waller had a large sum of money.

Yes, I'm saying I would hand in a wallet.
    I'm saying I wouldn't hand in a 100 Euro note. If I lost money I'm hardly gonna ring the gardai station crying to them, I'll get on with it. If I find a 100Euro note however, I'll say a silent prayer to whoever lost it and buy something with it. Harsh but i'm sure 99% of others would do the same. Donating to charity is probably a better idea but handing it in is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I'd love to actually test out what happens with the cash if the Gardai don't find the owner. Sure some of yee will have stories of your relations/friends handing in money and the Gardai calling them a year later to give it back to them but I wonder how many times they haven't called back, it's not like relations/friends will tell that story or even remember.

If I had some extra cash I'd hand it in to the stations claiming I found it and call back in a year asking what did they do with it. Or maybe I should buy food with the money instead, probably more important. Any volunteers?

I'd love to actually test out what happens with the cash if the Gardai don't find the owner. Sure some of yee will have stories of your relations/friends handing in money and the Gardai calling them a year later to give it back to them but I wonder how many times they haven't called back, it's not like relations/friends will tell that story or even remember.

If I had some extra cash I'd hand it in to the stations claiming I found it and call back in a year asking what did they do with it. Or maybe I should buy food with the money instead, probably more important. Any volunteers?

Ask them for a reciept, that's if they don't give you one so you have proof that you turned it in and therfore theres nothing they can do with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I will give my honest answer. A woman with a violent man loses her purse and goes home to to the guy having to admit it and gets beaten... Your conscience stays with you. Always return it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

Somewhat puzzling to see so many users freely admitting they'd keep any wallet they found. It's a public forum, ppl; any such admission of dishonesty is open to being used against you in a job interview / important first date ;-)

Back on topic: I found a wallet a while back in Dublin city centre. Handed it in to Pearse St. Garda station. It had a few bank cards / forms of ID, and some cash (enough to be annoyed over losing).

Garda took my contact details. Shortly thereafter, I got a text from the owner thanking me for handing it in. I was happy, they were happy, I thought that was the end of it.

A few days later, I got a gift voucher for a local restaurant in the post, from the wallet owner, made out for an odd amount of money! They'd presumably counted up exactly how much cash was in the wallet, including cents, and got a voucher for that specific amount - not to mention finding out what restaurant was nearest my gaff. I guess they were grateful not to have to go cancelling their credit cards.

pgargan wrote: »
    Somewhat puzzling to see so many users freely admitting they'd keep any wallet they found. It's a public forum, ppl; any such admission of dishonesty is open to being used against you in a job interview / important first date ;-)

Back on topic: I found a wallet a while back in Dublin city centre. Handed it in to Pearse St. Garda station. It had a few bank cards / forms of ID, and some cash (enough to be annoyed over losing).

Garda took my contact details. Shortly thereafter, I got a text from the owner thanking me for handing it in. I was happy, they were happy, I thought that was the end of it.

A few days later, I got a gift voucher for a local restaurant in the post, from the wallet owner, made out for an odd amount of money! They'd presumably counted up exactly how much cash was in the wallet, including cents, and got a voucher for that specific amount - not to mention finding out what restaurant was nearest my gaff. I guess they were grateful not to have to go cancelling their credit cards.

Did the guards give them your address:eek:? If it was me I'd cancel all my cards anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You have to hand it in! Conscience is clear then and God knows what worry the owner is going thru. It's something I dread, losing my wallet or my phone so if it did happen to me I'd like to think either would be handed in or returned to me so I'd do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Like a lot of people have said, if there was ID/address I'd bring it straight back to the owner. If not, I'd bring it to the gards or if it was in a shop I'd give the shop owner my info so they could get in touch with me if someone asked about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Found a girl's purse on a footpath outside a restaurant, handed it into the restaurant as she was eating in there that evening. Better off not taking any money or stealing, it wouldn't be the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

twice i have lost my wallet... first time i lost it near my parent's house.... i found it 3 months later on the side of the road close to my parent's house with the money and cards still in it :eek:

the second time i lost it in my parent's house (fell down behind the radiator in the spare room) my mum found it when she was painting about 6 months later... money n cards still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

found a wallet a few years ago with around €400 in it

phoned the lads bank and they got in touch with him and then he called me, told he where to meet up and handed back his wallet with all the cash in

and for that, I got a box of Roses - the lads in work had a good laugh at that one, I'll tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Found a wallet about 5 yrs ago. Inside, were number of credit cards, an English Drivers Licence, and about £250 sterling. I phoned directory enquiries in the UK to try to get a phone number for the owner, as her address was on the Licence, but no joy, she wasn't listed at the address, or had moved.

So, I brought it to Rathmines Garda Station and handed it in, explaining I had tried to contact the owner. They took the wallet, and my details, and gave me a receipt.

About a year later, I returned with the reciept to see what had happened about it. I handed the receipt to the Garda, and waited. On her return, and with much fumbling, I was told they couldn't find the property book.

I said 'fine' and that I would come back another day. The Garda then handed me a photo copy of the receipt, and tried to retain the original, but I objected, and asked for the original document back.

It was handed over begrudgingly

Someone got lucky, but it wasn't me, and nor was it the owner, I suspect.
    Needless to say, I never bothered going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

once while waiting to use an atm, the person in front of me had taken their card and money then walked off leaving a 50 stuck in it. can easily happen when sliding the cash out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any time i've found wallet in the past, I've gotten them back to the owner.

If there's no way I can find the person directly, then maybe Gards but only if i thought they could get it back to the person. You can usually track person down based on cards and stuff in the wallet.

I've lost phones and wallets a good few times over the years (mostly at music festivals), and most of the time I have gotten them back eventually with the money included.

Dunno if i fully believe it's Karma, but sometimes it's nice to be nice. And it's a deadly feeling to get back or return a wallet. There's usually so much more than cash at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I would return it. You never know

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

Did the guards give them your address:eek:?

Well yes, why wouldn't they? Wallet owner wants to say thanks. You think he's going to lob a brick through my window because I rudely handed in his wallet, unpilfered? :-)
    If it was me I'd cancel all my cards anyway.

In case the finder had noted the credit card details, *then* walked into a CCTV'd Garda station to hand in the wallet? Guess you can never be too cautious!

Well yes, why wouldn't they? Wallet owner wants to say thanks. You think he's going to lob a brick through my window because I rudely handed in his wallet, unpilfered? :-)

In case the finder had noted the credit card details, *then* walked into a CCTV'd Garda station to hand in the wallet? Guess you can never be too cautious!

i would still cancel my cards if i lost them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I will give my honest answer. A woman with a violent man loses her purse and goes home to to the guy having to admit it and gets beaten... Your conscience stays with you. Always return it!

Ha Ha ... wait ... what?

I'd never pick up a wallet, let the next person sort it.

Your personal information should not be given out unless you have given prior consent. I'm surprised a guard would do this as you didn't mention being contacted in advance.

Banks will refund any unauthourised spending if a card is reported lost or stolen, otherwise the card holder is liable. Someone else could have taken the details before you found the wallet, so it's always worthwhile cancelling cards.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting you had done anything untoward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

id take them,
    have lost a wallet and a phone before

wallet was about 3 years ago
    with a nice sum of money in it was about 600 quid if not more, had my my bank card in it, my details the lot
    havnt seen that wallet since, contacted every were

lost me phone on a bus before

all my details in it obviously
    not one poxy phone call

so **** karma
    id take the cash no problem

do one to others as others would do to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I found a wallet last night in the pub on the floor and I handed it into the barman.

But now that I think about it he probably kept it for himself as he gave me a strange look when i handed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Happened to me in a bar, I handed in a laptop case with a nice macbook in it. On further thought it occurred to me the barman would just keep it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'd keep the cash.

I wouldn't trust the guards as far as i could throw them not to take the cash themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

saiint wrote: »
    id take them,
    have lost a wallet and a phone before

wallet was about 3 years ago
    with a nice sum of money in it was about 600 quid if not more, had my my bank card in it, my details the lot
    havnt seen that wallet since, contacted every were

lost me phone on a bus before

all my details in it obviously
    not one poxy phone call

so **** karma
    id take the cash no problem

do one to others as others would do to you.

Maybe the people who found your stuff had the same awful attitude and thought they wouldn't return it. Two wrongs don't make a right!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I'd keep the cash.

I wouldn't trust the guards as far as i could throw them not to take the cash themselves.

but they have to pay for those 2nd and third homes somehow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

I found €50 note at my feet in a Paddypower during Cheltenham week this year. I picked up it up and walked straight out. There was no way I was gonna ask in a Bookies did anyone lose €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Hmm surprised at the amount of people who say they'd take the money. I recently found a wallet after my college ball. It had no money in it (presumably stolen), but had the person's bank card, student card and drivers licence, as well as some kind of medical card. Total pain in the arse returning it, but I did. If there had been money, I would have returned that too. The girl was SO delighted to get it back that it was worth it.

I've never lost my wallet, but numerous times have left phones sitting on the dart :rolleyes:. This has happened on 3/4 occasions, and each time I've gotten them back. Very lucky! Though maybe people are more willing to pocket a wallet/money, than a phone?

Must say that if I found money on the street, I'd prob keep it. Unless it was found in a very particular place or was a substantial amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement