Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding a wallet scenario

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I would hand a wallet in the the Gardai but if I found a brown envelope stuffed with used notes I would keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Found a girls brown leather wallet outside Abrakebabra on Patrick Str. one college night out in Cork, it has €150 in it and €50 worth of hmv vouchers.

Used the student card in it i contacted someone I knew in the class and got their timetable and found her 2 days later entering her lecture with her friends and asked her name to be sure and then handed her wallet. She was stunned, then gave me a hug.

Then she opened the wallet and started counting the money and without looking said "I suppose you want money now do you?" I was like "eh no yer grand" and she went into her lecture. Thought that was an awful thing to say.

Another friend of mine was robbed at Oxegen one year. A week later he got his drivers licence (which was in the wallet) posted to him. A gentleman thief.

Its happens. But depends on the gardai in question.
    Sometimes you can get hit with the 20 questions rountine to suss you out. If they dont like the looks of you.

(1) where did you find the wallet?
    (2) did you inspect the wallet?
    (3) how did you come by the wallet?
    (4) whats your name?
    (5) whats your address?

[They can proceed to ask the same questions again to see if you stumble on your answers:]

(6) where was the wallet found again?

[If they plain ol' dont like the look of you:]

(7) was there any cash in the wallet? Thats an offense if ye took it out ya know.

(etc)

Gardai are thought to be sussing out everyone at every moment. If they dont think you stole it, they'll do their best suss you out at least. But of course, as I say depends on the gardai. Some will take it and asks the bare questions ending with "cheers for that" ... just certain people.

ha ha ha ha, paranoid much??????

its called keeping records. records of where wallet was found, who found it, name, date of birth, address etc.
    its all on computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Happened me twice, returned to owners personally, cnuts never even said thanks, next time i'll think harder about returning it, or maybe I'll take the money out and if they don't say Thanks I'll keep it.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hmmm

If its a genuine leather wallet or maybe snakes skin, id keep the wallet ONLY. Give the cash to a charity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Give your honest answer.

If you found a wallet with a lot of money in it, would you hand it in to the Garda station or put the money in your pocket yourself?

I would hand it in - no matter how much was in the wallet as the guilt would get to me. However, while talking about this scenario at work today, I was surprised how many said they would keep the dosh.

What would you do?

I found a purse once up the mountains. No cash but full of credit cards, driving license, basically a pain in the hole to replace everything.

Tracked down the woman who owned it, she said she cancelled all her cards but was delighted to get her purse, driving license etc.. all back

Felt good that day

If there was cash, well, why ruin a nice post ^^
    probably still wouldn't have taken it though unless it was $$$$$$$$

I know I'd be very upset if I lost my Bad Mother Fuc**r wallet from pulp fiction :

http://www.bmfwallets.com/

just had to get it, it's from Pulp Fiction ya know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hmmm

If its a genuine leather wallet or maybe snakes skin, id keep the wallet ONLY. Give the cash to a charity.

yeah right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

found a wallet in the middle of the night, phone number scribbled on piece of paper.
    texted the number.
    got called back straight away, drunk people partying, confused by situation, etc.

found out their address (2 mins away)
    went around to give it back, invited into party, received free beer all night :)

yeah right :rolleyes:

Role your eyes if you MUST. But it really depends, but most likely I would. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found a wallet which contained about €2,000 a few years ago. I tracked down the owner; an old man. He gave me a reward for my trouble. A euro. One friggng euro :mad:
    I was going to say better than nothing, but I would have preferred to get nothing!
    I'm honestly suprised the gardai didnt keep it for themselves.
    I wouldn't trust them either, little more than any other members of the public. Its weird the faith & trust people put in gardai, and the likes of doctors.
    Sure how is handed-in money meant to be claimed anyways? :pac: we could all say we lost a 50 euro note :pac:
    You would have to get the amount correct, and the date & place. All of which the clever garda could inform his mate about if he didn't want to rob it directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mimsy

Personally I'd try to contact their bank and notify them that way. I would prefer not to leave it with the gardai tbh.
    I would probably let any shops around where I found it know I had a wallet and give them my number for follow up.
    I remember once my mum losing £50 (long time ago) in a supermarket. She was devestated. I would hate to think of anyone being really stuck and me stealing from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Since when is the Garda the lost and found for the country?
    Find the person yourself.

Wasting Police time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

OK so what if the wallet had 3k in it and ID for Seanie Fitzpatrick or Bertie Ahern etc

I would burn off all the serial numbers and send it back to them

p.s Nah I'd just nick it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd hand it in, including the cash.

I lost my purse, with my Christmas wages in it last year, over €800 in it. Luckily some kind soul handed it in, and I was so grateful I promised myself right then that I'd do the same if I ever found someone elses wallet/purse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld hand it in to the Gardai with the money and everything.

Can't understand why/how anyone could steal the money that doesn't belong to them...

But then I can't understand people who steal in general. Don't they have a conscience that haunts them at nights??

I'ld hand it in to the Gardai with the money and everything.

Can't understand why/how anyone could steal the money that doesn't belong to them...

But then I can't understand people who steal in general. Don't they have a conscience that haunts them at nights??

Well, it wouldnt bother me. Unless it had an i.d. inside it. So if I couldnt put a face on the owner or hava any idea what the owner looks like. It just wouldnt bother me, finders keepers, kinda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Well, it wouldnt bother me. Unless it had an i.d. inside it. So if I couldnt put a face on the owner or hava any idea what the owner looks like. It just wouldnt bother me, finders keepers, kinda thing.

Seriously? You would keep a wallet with cash because there's no ID in it? Why?

You don't know the circumstances of that person. The wallet may contain the money they have to live on for the rest of the month, their wages for the week, money to pay bills etc. And you would keep the money purely because there's no ID in the wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Some people just have no conscience or morals I guess.

lizt wrote: »
    Seriously? You would keep a wallet with cash because there's no ID in it? Why?

You don't know the circumstances of that person. The wallet may contain the money they have to live on for the rest of the month, their wages for the week, money to pay bills etc. And you would keep the money purely because there's no ID in the wallet?

Its just what id do. But if it had id, I try my best to return it to the owner. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Happened to me on a number of occasions. Always tried to find the owner and hand it over no questions. Once found a purse with a fair bit of cash in it under a taxi seat. Taxi man offered to hand it in the cops but given my general sense of distrust of those I don't know I declined. Amex card gave the details of the owner and some other details gave the place of work so problem solved.

If it was cash on the ground I would take a look around and see if anyone was checking for it, if not would prob pocket it and move on but for a wallet or purse you just don know what that or the contents mean to the owner...

Advertisement