Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day Uk And Ireland Tour 2012-13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

From the NME
    Green Day have confirmed that they will be appearing at Reading Festival this weekend, to play their seminal 1994 album 'Dookie' in full.

The band also revealed that they will be embarking on a UK tour next year, kicking off with a show at Emirates Stadium in North London on June 1.

The band broke the news earlier this evening on Radio 1. The pop punk veterans are currently in the UK as part of a short European tour, and earlier this week announced a show at London's O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire for tomorrow (August 23).

The first hint that the band would be appearing at Reading Festival came when Billie Joe Armstrong wrote on his Twitter feed: "Hello England! What rhymes with shredding??!!" It will be the band's first appearance at the festival since headlining in 2004.

Green Day then play another surprise show at Le Trianon in Paris on Monday (August 27).

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Im thinking these lads might do Slane next year.

GastroBoy wrote: »

They've been saying that since the American Idiot era!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Lots of my friends are over watching them in London right now. Why the hell didn't I go with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not big enough for Slane imo.

Sure they didn't even sell out Marlay park.

I agree, but they are doing the Emirates stadium on June 1st. More UK tour dates for June to be announced.

I don't know how big the Emirates stadium is compared to Slane, but it's made me think Slane is possible. Although I'm in 2 minds as to whether I'd like to see them there or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Id say they could do the O2 or the Aviva around June next year, but the Aviva may be too big I'd say

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I agree, but they are doing the Emirates stadium on June 1st. More UK tour dates for June to be announced.

I don't know how big the Emirates stadium is compared to Slane, but it's made me think Slane is possible. Although I'm in 2 minds as to whether I'd like to see them there or not.

The only way they could do Slane is if the new album is as big or bigger then American Idiot . As people said i could see either like Blink this year doing Belfast and Dublin arena show or doing Pheonix Park or Marlay Park again

The only way they could do Slane is if the new album is as big or bigger then American Idiot . As people said i could see either like Blink this year doing Belfast and Dublin arena show or doing Pheonix Park or Marlay Park again

Yeah. Haven't heard enough songs off the new records yet but what I have heard is mostly excellent! But I'd be perfectly happy with arena shows in Dublin and Belfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭bren2001

They are a huge band in England. Saw them in Wembley 2 years ago and they didnt quite sell that completely. Not big enough for Slane unfortunately, would love to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

GastroBoy wrote: »

Definitely won't do Slane.

In the unlikely chance there will be Phoenix Park concerts again next year I could see them headlining one of those, or they might do the Aviva with a good support bill and reasonably priced tickets.

Not sure if they'd play Marlay Park or Oxegen again, might be a bit predictable.

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »
    Definitely won't do Slane.

In the unlikely chance there will be Phoenix Park concerts again next year I could see them headlining one of those, or they might do the Aviva with a good support bill and reasonably priced tickets.

Not sure if they'd play Marlay Park or Oxegen again, might be a bit predictable.

Would'nt totally rule out Oxegen(if it happens)

bren2001 wrote: »
    They are a huge band in England. Saw them in Wembley 2 years ago and they didnt quite sell that completely. Not big enough for Slane unfortunately, would love to see it!

So did I :)
    Would'nt totally rule out Oxegen(if it happens)

I really really hope they don't play there! Went the past 2 years it was on, swore I never would again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Playing 'secret' gig at the Reading festival right now. Thought it might be on Radio 1 live but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Green Day brought Reading Festival to a standstill today (August 25) as they played a surprise set on the NME/Radio 1 Stage.

The band had been rumoured to perform at 12pm and were thought to be playing their 1994 album 'Dookie' from start to finish. However, their set actually began at 11am and was only confirmed when frontman Billie Joe Armstrong took to Twitter to say so, writing: "Green day - READING FESTIVAL CONFIRMED!! On stage in 45 minutes! In the NME / RADIO 1 tent. 11am!! Be there!"

Such was the demand to get in that the organisers were forced to seal off access to the stage, leaving most of the crowd to watch the band on the Main Stage, where the set was being shown on a big screen.
    Although they delivered five tracks from 'Dookie', the band actually played a career-spanning set similar to their show at London's O2 Shepherds Bush Empire on Thursday (August 23). However, they aired no new songs from their forthcoming album trilogy '¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!' and instead chose to play fan favourites 'Letterbomb', 'Hitchin' A Ride' and 'St Jimmy'.

At numerous times during the set, the organisers attempted to get the band to finish, but Armstrong seemed determined to carry on. However, he did curtail the band's 2004 single 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams', telling the crowd: "We're having a little ****ing problem with time."

However, the band then seemed set on defying the festival organisers, with Armstrong shooing away anyone who tried to turn off his guitar. He even told the crowd: "**** time, I'm going to play for as long as I want to." Even when the coverage ended on the Main Stage, the band still ploughed on, leaving a large group of fans to watch a distant screen from behind a security cordon.

In the end, the set clocked in at just over an hour and included 12 songs, with classics 'Basketcase', 'Minority' and 'Brain Stew' all in the setlist. They ended with 'Dookie' track 'She'.
    During the set, Armstrong praised the Reading crowd, telling them that he rated them more highly than US audiences. He said after the crowd's rabid response to 'Hitchin' A Ride': "That's why I ****ing love England, the Americans just don't get that ****."

The band's new album trilogy, '¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!', will be released in three stages. The first album, '¡Uno!', comes out on September 24, with the second LP, '¡Dos!', coming out on November 12 and '¡Tré!' on January 14, 2013.

To coincide with the release of '¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!', the band are also putting out a pair of documentaries. One is being made by Tim Lynch, a producer of the band's recent DVD Green Day: Bullet In A Bible, and Tim Wheeler, a co-producer and editor of The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights. It will focus on the making of the band's three new albums. A second documentary is being created from vintage footage shot during the band's pre-'Dookie' days.

Green Day played:

Welcome To Paradise
    Murder City
    Know Your Enemy
    Stay the Night
    Oh Love
    Holiday
    Burnout
    Hitchin' a Ride
    Letterbomb
    Brain Stew
    St. Jimmy
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Longview
    Basket Case
    American Idiot
    Minority
    99 Revolutions

R.I.P the lead singer of Green Day:eek::eek:

226142_409525592440798_1215224475_n.jpg

Basket Case At reading!

american idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Saw them play at Shepherd's Bush last Thursday night (was AMAZING, obviously)

Got a couple of photos and videos

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bokmurphy

I suppose all their Irish shows will be top secret like Reading fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

I saw them on BBC 3 at reading and I have to say they were head and shoulders above ALL other bands that weekend that I say on BBC3, and this was a 11am set! Foo Fighters, Vaccines, Black Keys, Kasabian (snooze...), Green Day were in a different league performance & connecting with the crowd. Billie Joe is a great frontman, posturing, gurning, shouting at the crowd, amazing confidence and connection with the crowd, easily the best performance of the weekend on the Telly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

bokmurphy wrote: »
    I suppose all their Irish shows will be top secret like Reading fest.

Um, no, probably not.

I reckon they'll come here next May/June, because they've announced a London show for June 1st next year, so they'll probably have a tour built around that.

Um, no, probably not.

I reckon they'll come here next May/June, because they've announced a London show for June 1st next year, so they'll probably have a tour built around that.

Yea id say either Oxegen or Pheonix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yea id say either Oxegen or Pheonix Park

Or Marlay again?

I know they didn't quite sell it out the last time, but it's the right time of year for it...

Or Marlay again?

I know they didn't quite sell it out the last time, but it's the right time of year for it...

Yea true , but that could been also that they had already played Dublin on the arena tour so maybe there wasnt as much of a demand for the Marlay show .

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yea true , but that could been also that they had already played Dublin on the arena tour so maybe there wasnt as much of a demand for the Marlay show .

Yeah, that's why I don't think it sold too well. And the fact that they had sold out the Odyssey as well, they hadn't been to Belfast since 1998 before the 2009 show.

Not really sure why they're doing Emirates next June, seems strange to do a stadium sized show before the arena tour?

Yeah, that's why I don't think it sold too well. And the fact that they had sold out the Odyssey as well, they hadn't been to Belfast since 1998 before the 2009 show.

Not really sure why they're doing Emirates next June, seems strange to do a stadium sized show before the arena tour?

They might skip the arena tour and just do big outdoor shows?? Kinda like Foo's didnt do any proper UK/Ireland Arena tour just festivals and outdoor shows

Not strange at all, 4 weeks in Europe doing stadiums then hit U.S/Japan for the 4 months or so, then back into Europe December/Jan/Feb for an Arena tour.

Makes sense, say if 60,000 see them at the Emirates then 6 months later they play 1 show at The O2 in London, those 20,000 will sell out no bother, only need 1/3 of people who were at Stadium show to buy.

Very clever by the management.

I'd say the Stadium shows will also have a very high end support bill

Green Day have been forced to cancel their scheduled show in Bologna, Italy tonight (September 2nd) due to frontman Billie Joe Armstrong being hospitalized. A statement from the band can be read below.

"We sincerely apologize to our fans, but unfortunately due to illness Billie Joe has been hospitalized, and we regretfully must cancel our performance in Bologna, Italy this evening. We are beyond devastated and will make it up to you when we come back next summer."

Green Day have announced the first leg of their "¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, ¡TRÉ!" tour. Dates can be found below.

NOVEMBER
    26th Seattle, WA Paramount Theatre
    27th Kennewick, WA Toyota Center
    29th Salem, OR Salem Armory Auditorium

DECEMBER
    1st Sacramento, CA Memorial Auditorium
    2nd Reno, NV Grand Sierra Resort - Grand Theatre
    4th Santa Cruz, CA Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium
    10th Tempe, AZ Marquee Theatre

JANUARY
    7th Green Bay, WI Resch Arena
    8th Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena
    10th Wilkes Barre, PA Mohegan Sun Arena
    11th State College, PA Bryce Jordan Center - Penn State Univ.
    13th Rochester, NY Blue Cross Arena
    14th Pittsburgh, PA Consol Energy Center
    16th Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
    18th Manchester, NH Verizon Wireless Arena
    19th Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
    21st Fairfax, VA Patriot Center
    22nd Philadelphia, PA Liacourias Center - Temple University
    24th Providence, RI Dunkin Donuts Center
    25th Portland, ME Cumberland Civic Center
    27th Quebec City, QC Colisee Pepsi Arena
    29th Toronto, ONT Air Canada Centre
    30th Cleveland, OH Wolstein Center - Cleveland State Univ.

FEBRUARY
    1st Moline, IL I Wireless Center
    2nd Madison, WI Alliant Energy Center Memorial Col
    4th Omaha, NE CenturyLink Arena
    6th Broomfield, CO 1STBANK Center
    8th Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

European tour dates to be announced soon, according to the offical website;

And for our friends in Europe - we haven't forgotten about you. We'll be announcing the European tour dates, presale and onsale dates soon!

Happy days!!

Advertisement