Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating ringworm in cattle

• 02-07-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I have an outbreak of ringworm in my spring herd, they seemed to have caught it from heifers that had it during the winter. The heifers have now cleared up. I need a treatment to prevent it spreading further, i've read about bovilis ringvac as a treatment. has anyone used it? or is it even available in ireland? if not is there any other treatment, i have 4 - 5 cows infected and 3-4 calves with small lesions.

any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

2nd Girl wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an outbreak of ringworm in my spring herd, they seemed to have caught it from heifers that had it during the winter. The heifers have now cleared up. I need a treatment to prevent it spreading further, i've read about bovilis ringvac as a treatment. has anyone used it? or is it even available in ireland? if not is there any other treatment, i have 4 - 5 cows infected and 3-4 calves with small lesions.

any help much appreciated.

Not sure if you can still get it... PDM in Kill might give you a little...

Works well...

Does the 7th son kill it on animals ?... Might be harder to find him actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Damo8100

Anyone hear of using used engine oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Supposedly painted on the inside walls of the sheds prevents infection..... as does hanging a wreath of female holly over the winter !

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

sunlight kills it. I uses ring vac and it worked well on a pedigree heifer over the winter. Washing soda will get it out of a shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Imaverol is available from your animal medicine supplier or vet to treat ringworm at approx €20 per bottle. One bottle will treat a lot of animals.

Engine oil brushed onto cattle is carcenogenic and puts heavy metals in direct contact with the food chain. It is not only illegal, it also has direct links to causing cancer. We have been working for the last 30 years to develop a green image for our meat products and it only takes 1 slip up to tarnish that image forever.

Try putting engine oil onto your own head for a few weeks and see if it affects you or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

brownswiss wrote: »

Not sure if you can still get it... PDM in Kill might give you a little...

Works well...

Does the 7th son kill it on animals ?... Might be harder to find him actually..

Creosote has been withdrawn from the market for a number of years now because of its cancer causing agents. You can still buy synthetic creosote for the treatment of wood, but its not for use on flesh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

What are the consequences of doing nothing?

I treated two of mine with ring vac on Saturday.
    Injected 8 ml per head. Quite expensive.
    I have five more showing early-ish signs of it .
    Am spraying orficide on them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

maybe try washing with vinegar mixed with water... if we got a summer that would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

the blue antiseptic spray will stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robzills

Hi, new to this forum, so if Im asking a silly question .............:p Have one cow with ringworm ( only 7 altogether, all milkers) does ringworm affect the milk, drinking etc....i wouldnt think it would, but just want to make sure. Have never had this on my animals before, but was also told to use natural yoghurt or iodine . Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Robzills wrote: »
    Hi, new to this forum, so if Im asking a silly question .............:p Have one cow with ringworm ( only 7 altogether, all milkers) does ringworm affect the milk, drinking etc....i wouldnt think it would, but just want to make sure. Have never had this on my animals before, but was also told to use natural yoghurt or iodine . Thanks.

I have drank milk unpasteurised from a cow with ringworm and it didn't do me any har.
    m:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robzills

Thanks for that, didnt think it would harm the milk. We use our milk unpasturised as well, tastes better than bought milk !
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Thanks for that, didnt think it would harm the milk. We use our milk unpasturised as well, tastes better than bought milk !
    :)

We did this for years but are there more nasties these days than in the past?

You should have built an immunity but visitors may not have.

Cheaper than water in the shop anyway. Great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Imravol is a good job, if it gets established then the imravol is the man.
    It's be said that natural youghert works well but I've not tried it.

There really seems to be allot of it about in the last two years and as a previous poster said, if we got some decent sunshine it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hunter15

I believe it dies out by five year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Sunlight will also kill ringworm as already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Min wrote: »
    Sunlight will also kill ringworm as already mentioned.

I'd say treat it rather than waiting for the sun to cure it this year. :(

Advertisement