Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb broadband in celbridge

Options
  • 02-07-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking to get broadband in celbridge area without a phone line. Found a Digiweb package called metro express 30MB. Does anyone have the same service? And if so have you had any problems or is the service generally good?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have digiweb metro in maynooth the 12MB one and it is brilliant ,never had an issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That sounds positive thanks. I'm just a little worried about our location in celbridge because it's terrible for mobile signals for o2 and meteor phones. Hopefully the digiweb signal works differently.

Actually if anybody uses digiweb in the Primrose Gate estate in Celbridge please chip in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Have digiweb metro in maynooth the 12MB one and it is brilliant ,never had an issue .

Well guys,

I know this thread hasn't been active for a few months but here goes,

Moonbeam can I ask you a few question re digiweb metro?

Do they throttle peer to peer file sharing like? (bit torrent downloads etc)

Thanks,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are now on the 30mb package too.
    We don't often use p2p traffic but neither of us have noticed it been throttled.
    He does a lot of video conferencing and only once have we had an issue with it and an hour later it was fine.
    I use Netflix a lot these days too with out issue.
    The phone line is also Digiweb,don't use it often but no issues yet.

Thanks Lads,

I'm going to give it a go as well so.

Will see how it performs during the cooling off period.

As I said. P2P and torrent downloading is my main concern. Not that I use a lot of it. Maybe 6 or 7 gigs a week of it.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'll probably be giving this a go too. Hows it going so far for you smellysock? And excuse my ignorance, but what's a cooling off period?

Well,

I didn't go for it in the end. i have heard some good reports though. I'm going for DSL.

It's just something about the soltuion doesn't sit right with me. Generally wireless soltions like this can give you the 30 meg down but uploads and ping times are shocking for the best part.

Well,

I didn't go for it in the end. i have heard some good reports though. I'm going for DSL.

It's just something about the soltuion doesn't sit right with me. Generally wireless soltions like this can give you the 30 meg down but uploads and ping times are shocking for the best part.

Cheers for the info. Aside from directly uploading (which I'm assuming majority of users won't do a whole lot of), are there other aspects which would be limited with slow upload and ping times that I should be considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Chipping in here as a previous customer of both DSL and Metro!

Firstly, Metro broadband served me fine for years in Celbridge. The phone was always unreliable. We never used it much, but almost any tme we did it would fail to connect (and inbound test calls wouldn't work). A modem restart nearly always sorted it, but the phone part of the service didn't live up to expectations for us. The broadband was nearly flawless. Depending on your line of sight (Tallaght / Three Rock / Maynooth) you have a choice of masts. I had to change at some stage to Maynooth, which I found much less contended. Overall, the broadband service was very reliable. Contention was rarely an issue, and when it was it it was usually sorted in a week or so. Down time was a few hours over 3 different times in about 2.5 years of service. I.e. probably better than anything else out there!

I switched to UPC once they became available (higher speed, better bang for buck), but I would absolutely recommend Metro for broadband if UPC isn't available in your area. Certainly, 100%, recommend it over DSL (even the NGB "uncongested" variety). Ping times were nearly always better than DSL. Sub 30-ms to UK/ire, versus sub 80-90s on DSL (unless you get a non-standard profile setup). Jitter was a bit of an issue (it being wireless). Never bad enough to notice on a VoIP call, but sometimes noticeable in real time online gaming (whilst the game caught up with your new pings, if you get me).

@smelly sock .. no issues with pings (better than DSL). Uploads always spot on (never noticed contention on upload, even when the download was contended).

@Bawnmore upload would make some things like sharing photos online, uploading to YouTube, sending emails (with attachments) a bit slower. You're right, though, residential users primarily need download speed/capacity (hence most broadband services are asymmetrical).

Might be no harm to check out the contention of current users (I haven't been a user in a couple of years). I haven't heard reports of any dramatic issues, but it's always nice to hear up to date reviews.

cgarvey,

Good post.

I suppose I had a really bad experience with the imagine wimax nonsense and with being burn't there am really careful about wireless solutions now. That said I haven't really heard any poor reviews of it yet. Mostly positive.

How about P2P downloads into a torrent client? Did they throttle them?

Imagine wimax did!! I was getting 10 meg speeds a lot but when I went to download a film of music etc I was lucky to get 7-8 kbps.

Not good enough really.

If I wanted a solution just to browse the web a 20 euro per month 3g stick would have done the trick.

Thanks for the info though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yeah, Imagine WiMax is a completely different beast altogether. It's not a fixed wireless system (aerial on the roof) like Metro. It's more like the 3G sticks you mention. Wasn't a big user of P2P, but never noticed any drastic shaping/throttling of P2P/Usenet. Could max out connection on Usenet; don't think I ever did on torrents, but I was always able to get a few megs download. Certainly not as shaped/throttled as 3G providers, or Imagine, and certainly not blocked.

Metro technology is as good as UPC's (using the DOCSIS system), only wireless rather than wired. Means slightly higher pings (<10ms higher), slightly higher jitter, and much more limited speeds.

A world away from Imagine's WiMax (and 3G providers).

I've signed up for Digiweb's Metro 30Mb package this morning, so will report back when it's in place. Should be up and running in a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Why would you not go for UPC's broadband?
    50Mb download, upload of 5mb, cheaper than digiweb.

For the same price as Digiweb you could have UPC with a phone thrown in, don't take the phone and you'r eup a fiver each month.

I have UPC at 20MB and its been very reliable. I don't know what its like in the Primrose area but excellent in the Oldtown area

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Why would you not go for UPC's broadband?
    50Mb download, upload of 5mb, cheaper than digiweb.

For the same price as Digiweb you could have UPC with a phone thrown in, don't take the phone and you'r eup a fiver each month.

I have UPC at 20MB and its been very reliable. I don't know what its like in the Primrose area but excellent in the Oldtown area

Hi there Peppa Pig - for me, I didn't go with UPC as it's not available in some (or all, Im not sure) of Kingsbry in Maynooth. I was with UPC, but needed to cancel it as they didn't service the estate we moved in to. Digiweb seems like the next best thing. On the bright side, I rang Meteor and brought my monthly phone bill down €10, so we're all evens again :p

We are across the main road from you with no issues but some people in Meadowbrook do not have Los.
    So do not get too excited until the site survey is done.
    No idea where the mast is though.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We are across the main road from you with no issues but some people in Meadowbrook do not have Los.
    So do not get too excited until the site survey is done.
    No idea where the mast is though.

We're still waiting on the survey, but we're told 5-10 working days weather dependant. I'll confirm here either way.

Just following up here to say we had the survey yesterday and modem etc was set up then too. Was using it briefly yesterday and seems like it's flying. We were on UPC previously in Harolds Cross on a 25Mb line and it definitely seems faster than that on 1st look. I ran a broadband speed check on one of the speedcheck sites and download speeds were clocking in at 25Mbs per second. Don't know how accurate this is though.

If anyone is trying to make a decision on which broadband and wants me to run any other checks let me know and I can post results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vaperhead82

Hi there. I live in Celbridge. I've been using home broadband + phone from vodafone for almost 3 yrs. Never had any issue, but recently (last 2-3 mnths) my broadband just keep dropping. I rang vodafone CS few times. My problem got always sorted, but lasted only day or two. I had an enginier from eircom checking phone line and he said everything is ok. Two days later broadband not working for nearly 2 days.
    So, now Im looking for new provider. My options are Digiweb or Eircom. I would like to get more reviews about Digiweb Metro + phone. Anybody had any issue?

vodafone is bitstream so you may not have better service then with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

Sorry to drag up an old thread but found this while searching for information on wifi options in the Maynooth area.

Anybody currently using the Digiweb metro service? Can you comment on the speed and reliability? Also, can you tell me about the phone reliability?

Unfortunately outside of the upc area and stuck with a poor quality eircom line for now.

• Advertisement

Declan1 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but found this while searching for information on wifi options in the Maynooth area.

Anybody currently using the Digiweb metro service? Can you comment on the speed and reliability? Also, can you tell me about the phone reliability?

Unfortunately outside of the upc area and stuck with a poor quality eircom line for now.

We had Digiweb Metro in Maynooth last year and the speed and reliability were fine, but the data limit was restrictive for us. It's a rolling limit, so it's annoying if you do any amount of streaming.

Declan1 wrote: »

We have it for the last 4 years ,it is extremely reliable and fast which we need for work but the 100GB cap can be a bit of a pain ,when the kids and I all decide we need to watch Netflix a lot. Saying that we only got rate limited once.
    We also got a UPC connection in this week but for reliability are keeping DIgiweb too.

Advertisement