Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you say that are wrong

• 03-07-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

It was just pointed out to me that I always say "Oh" when saying a phone number. As in "Can I have credit for Oh 8 6?". I have no idea why but I've been saying it so long that I never even thought about it.

The other ridiculous one I use is "Stall it" meaning let's move :o

What silly things do you folks say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

"Dat's righ', i rode yer sister las' nigh. twice."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Been told I say 'like' to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Quit with yur complaining about Irish colloquialisms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"What is love, when you don't hurt me, when you don't hurt me, no more?"

That's the only thing I say that's wrong, even though I know it's wrong. Unfortunately, I say it a lot.

Also, saying "oh" instead of "zero" isn't really wrong at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I would of....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anything I say in an argument with the GF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My phone number is Oh Eight...........
    I'm not with Zero Two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Backstard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Been calling newly registered cars from the past few years "zero eleven" or "zero twelve" etc instead of "twenty twelve".

"Its a zero twelve Toyota"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

I love you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

When I use the word couple, as in "I ate a couple of biscuits" or "I went there a couple of weeks ago", it does not necessarily mean two. It can be any low-ish number (greater than 1 but less than 10)

Since realising this I've tried to use the word "few" instead but sometimes "couple" will still escape my lips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

He hung himself. Hanged just sounds wrong to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

How long will it take me to write code that'll do that? Oh it's an easy job, no more than a few days. The end of the week at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm waiting for the first person to post "i done", so i can track your ip, hunt you down and beat you to death with a junior infant English reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You are without doubt the most amazingly beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The trousers are to be fitted. They fat him well.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I cummed on the bed sheets again, not came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the first person to post "i done", so i can track your ip, hunt you down and beat you to death with a junior infant English reader.

Could you also include the first person to say 'I seen', please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I say puck up rather than picked up a lot. Also use me in the place of my all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am I the only person who uses the term "worser" :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When I use the word couple, as in "I ate a couple of biscuits" or "I went there a couple of weeks ago", it does not necessarily mean two. It can be any low-ish number (greater than 1 but less than 10)

Since realising this I've tried to use the word "few" instead but sometimes "couple" will still escape my lips.

That's exactly what "a couple of" means. "Couple" only means "two" when referring to "a couple," as in "a romantic couple." But "a couple of" has the exact same meaning as "a few:" an undefined small number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

G

That's exactly what "a couple of" means. "Couple" only means "two" when referring to "a couple," as in "a romantic couple." But "a couple of" has the exact same meaning as "a few:" an undefined small number.

Lawyered!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I use the fork with my right hand.

Am I doinitrite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I use the fork with my right hand.

Am I doinitrite?

I used to do this until not so long ago. I still find that the way I grip a fork is completey wrong. I know a lot of people that dont even know how to use one, and instead just use their hands :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

I jamped over the wall..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

My sister always says blood shocked, when she means blood shot. She was mortified when she found out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭whatsup?

The term "i do be" as in " i do be in town everyday" is wrong i'm told and is only said here as its a direct translation from Irish-bíonn me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A damp squid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I would of...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Now how come Wikipedia didn't tell me that? I thought it knew everything. Illusions of life thus far completely shattered....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The OP's biggest problem is asking for a top-up for a phone number and not a network!

I don't say anything wrong. I'm wonderful.
    <_<
    >_>

My friend says "how's we can", as in, "let's go to the shop how's we can buy some sweets".

My Nanny says "a chester drawers" rather than "a chest of drawers". She also once told my cousin's friend "your face is very peculiar", she meant familiar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

"you heading out tonight?"

"I amn't"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

^lol

My Nan's favourite piece of music was "Cabinteely", (Cavantina).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"I seen him walking down the road 5 mins ago!"

"I'm going out tonight for a few bottles" - and then I proceed to drink pints

And of course the obligatory, "me" instead of "my"......."ah go and ask me hoop!" :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I like to say brang and I often pluralise hair and pasta.

what's wrong with 0 pronounced oh

bluewolf wrote: »
    what's wrong with 0 pronounced oh

And even that bint on the voicemails says it...."You are connected to the vodafone voicemail service of....Oh 87 blah blah blah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

G'luck instead if good luck

Howiya instead of How are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

My granny calls a singular Chinese person, or anyone else from east Asia - I doubt she has an eye for the subtle appearance differences involved, a Chinee. One Chinee, two Chinese.

• Advertisement

My granny calls a singular Chinese person, or anyone else from east Asia - I doubt she has an eye for the subtle appearance differences involved, a Chinee. One Chinee, two Chinese.

I thanked your post but really I am thanking you for your username :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The Dublin lads I know regularly take the pish for my needless inclusion of "all" in sentences

"Who ALL is going drinking tonight?"

But my whole family does it, and most other Westies I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Del2005 wrote: »
    My phone number is Oh Eight...........
    I'm not with Zero Two.

Your phone number is zero eight. Your network provider is "o" two... not 0 (zero) two.

Something that got to me one night in the pub during the Euro's when Ireland were playing and an ould lad was calling Ronnie Whelan, "Ronnie Wailin'" and Shay Given, "Shay Givens" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

"Do ye hear that smell"?

I say it, it makes no sense whatsoever........:rolleyes:

GastroBoy wrote: »
    "Do ye hear that smell"?

I say it, it makes no sense whatsoever........:rolleyes:

Did you see what he said.....I have been know to say that at times :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I done it.
    Good Luck.

(now awaiting Liam Neeson showing up with a slip of paper and asked how I pronounce it in english) :(
    kfallon wrote: »
    Something that got to me one night in the pub during the Euro's when Ireland were playing and an ould lad was calling Ronnie Whelan, "Ronnie Wailin'" and Shay Given, "Shay Givens" :rolleyes:

That should have been the least of your concerns watching Ireland play eehh take part in the Euros.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

'Standing in a gate'. Said that to a Yank, they nearly wet themselves when I wanted a hand moving cattle.

'Pasgetti' instead of 'spagetti'.

'Are you right?' for 'Are you coming?' again the Yank nearly exploded.

jmayo wrote: »
    That should have been the least of your concerns watching Ireland play eehh take part in the Euros.

When you are already majorly pissed off every little thing adds enormously to your ire! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Jabus, why would anyone who went to school talk like that?
    Sure didn't the teacher learned us well.......:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement