Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a moderator today

Options
  • 03-07-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I got a moderator for the 17HMR and it makes a huge difference. Its a Parker Hale designed for a 22.

I don't know where people are coming from when they say they don't work. The bang, which used to be near shotgun loud, is now a thud. Obviously there's still a crack but thats not that bad. I've also tried the 22 SAK which made a big difference. So to anyone concerned, a moderator is well worth it on a 17HMR in my opinion!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ArseLtd wrote: »
    I got a moderator for the 17HMR and it makes a huge difference. Its a Parker Hale designed for a 22.

I don't know where people are coming from when they say they don't work. The bang, which used to be near shotgun loud, is now a thud. Obviously there's still a crack but thats not that bad. I've also tried the 22 SAK which made a big difference. So to anyone concerned, a moderator is well worth it on a 17HMR in my opinion!

I dont think anyone was ever saying they weren't any good on a hmr? Everyone on here always said get one for a hmr..
    They did say not to get one for the Wmr because its already a quiet enough gun compared to the hmr and a mod will reduce it a bit but not enough to make it worth the extra weight/length.

I got one made about 3 ago for my hmr and the difference it makes is unreal as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i have a cheapo sirrocco mod on my hmr, my mate has a more expensive ASE mod for his....... no noticable difference in sound, but both are needed... ye will never lose the supersonic crack, but youll lose the "pop".

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

garv123 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone was ever saying they weren't any good on a hmr? Everyone on here always said get one for a hmr..
    They did say not to get one for the Wmr because its already a quiet enough gun compared to the hmr and a mod will reduce it a bit but not enough to make it worth the extra weight/length.

I got one made about 3 ago for my hmr and the difference it makes is unreal as you said.

My buddy has a WMR... The cheap SAK mod makes a massive difference. Still louder than a modded .17 but far better than with no mod.

Robotack wrote: »
    My buddy has a WMR... The cheap SAK mod makes a massive difference. Still louder than a modded .17 but far better than with no mod.

If it made a massive difference it would be quieter than the hmr because the .22 wmr is not that loud to begin with.

It take away some of the crack but its not that loud to begin with which is why people dont bother with the extra length weight that will effect off hand shooting.

I find it just as loud if not louder than the hmr with no mod. Just my experience mind you.

• Advertisement

Robotack wrote: »
    I find it just as loud if not louder than the hmr with no mod. Just my experience mind you.

Ive sat behind both of them been fired side by side unmoderated on many an occasion and the Hmr was way louder than the wmr.
    I said in another thread ive been meaning to use a phone app decibel meter to record the noise off both but didnt get a chance to do it yet.

I'd be interested in the result of that simply because I personally found the opposite. Cheers garv

Advertisement