Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you let a stranger on the street use your phone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Yes, I would and have done. I don't have an iPhone or Smartphone, just the standard phone the kind a thief would probably upgrade for you if they ended up snatching it. Depends on who's asking, where I am, mood I'm in, vibe I get off the person, etc., but yeah, sometimes I would.

you must stand their starring into space thinking about all that before you give an answer to the person
    by which time they've probably walked off ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭doughef

on the other hand..

I was just after completing the Dublin City Marathon a few years ago.,
    I had seen all the gang cheering me on about 500 m from the finish, however when I finished and came out the back I couldnt find anyone so I asked a nice lady could I use her phone..

She said yes... and after I used it I had to wipe it for a few mins to get rid of the sweat :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Depends on the person & circumstances of their needing my phone. I'd no battery left and needed to call my sister when at a festival last year, some really nice girl let me use her phone but insisted we sit down first so I didn't do a runner. I'd do something similar I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're my phone now Dave!

but real answer, depends where I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Depends on the circumstances but in any case I'd prob want to be holding them by the scruff of the neck as they make the call :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I have done once or twice in the past when my phone was the shittest piece of shit imaginable, barely worthy of being called a phone, but most likely I wouldn't now with my smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've done this twice recently.... I wouldn't lend it to everybody, if I got a dodgy vibe I would say no, but I use my cop on and it's been fine.

I've been stuck myself and would probably never ask anyone though, I'd rather go to payphone than ask a stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What utter nonsense.
    Not in England or the US.

Great, next time I'm on hols I'll remember to say no then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I have lent a phone on more then one occasion and my wife has borrowed one on more then one occasion.

I dont believe people who say its a blanket NO. If a girl who was obviosly in distress needed to borrow your phone, even your precious poxy Iphone, you would lend it to her.

• Advertisement

I let a woman use my phone once, she said she was on her way back to the hospital, she appeared to be out for a few hours :confused:
    no harm done

generally speaking though, not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

efb wrote: »
    Surely Jay Rae Jefferson, Carly's brother???

Here's my number, so call me maybe NOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Scummer in a tracksuit, no! Little old lady, yes.

nobody ever suspects the little old lady :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

When I was livin in belfast a friend of mine got lost visiting me. I went out to get her but my phone died. stopped this lovely couple and explained things. Let the dude hold my wallet while I used his phone. I was very grateful. Kindness of strangers and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

People have telephones worth 600euro?! Madness...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

il give yas a laugh
    old ladys are the WORST
    warning to everyone

was in town

an old lady asks can she use my phone she needs to ring her daughter (some bullsh*t)
    i said ya no problem

anyway
    i hand her the phone
    then she starts walking away
    after she got about 20 feet away i ran up to her and said
    wa da fuk are you doin

she start screaming , saying " help hes trying to rob my phone"

garda were close
    put me in cuffs
    and they were trying to resolve the problem
    lucky me they have cctv outside the cinema and caught it on the tape that i handed her the phone and she walked off

evil little bitch

she got a warning and was aloud go
    garda said sorry to me

but funny thing is i would of got charged their and then if i was the one robbing the phone

edit: i mean this owl wan seemed very genuine
    like she was from d4
    well dressed ( for an old lady ) and she does that ha, i couldnt believe it
    the looks i was getting off people ha

• Advertisement

Oh God, I don't know as it's never happened, but I reckon if I didn't the guilt would get to me all day!!

At concerts/festivals etc if someone looks lost and alone, I always check if they're ok and ask if they want to use my phone but that's kind of different as they're not going to get very far are they?

Oh God, I don't know as it's never happened, but I reckon if I didn't the guilt would get to me all day!!

At concerts/festivals etc if someone looks lost and alone, I always check if they're ok and ask if they want to use my phone but that's kind of different as they're not going to get very far are they?

I may need your assistance on Thursday night if you are free :pac:

I don't think anybody has ever asked to use my phone that I don't know! I really don't like people using my phone anyway, you always get one nosey bastard who, when they are finished, tries to get a sneaky look at your text messages! :mad:

kfallon wrote: »
    I may need your assistance on Thursday night if you are free :pac:

If you're lost and alone I'll probably find you. I'm like a magnet for helpless people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I don't think I've been asked before so I'm not sure...probably would have to say no. Could be different if an obvious emergency was happening though. Would it be weird to say tell me the number and I'll ring for you?

I really don't like people using my phone anyway, you always get one nosey bastard who, when they are finished, tries to get a sneaky look at your text messages! :mad:

have something to hide in those text messages? dirty pics perhaps? ;):p

• Advertisement

If you're lost and alone I'll probably find you. I'm like a magnet for helpless people :D

But will you be able to find me under a bush in a drunken coma??? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Depends on the location and situation really. I refused a genuine looking American chap only last week because I was on a busy street in London and would have struggled without my phone if he was less genuine than he seemed.

The week before that, I offered my phone to a young girl that was trying to call her mother from the boarding gate to let her know she was boarding the plane but was getting the "your phone is not set up for roaming" stuff.

It's all about how I perceive the risk: busy London street where I've no chance if you do a runner on me: no; boarding gate in Heathrow where you've nowhere to go, sure why not?

have something to hide in those text messages? dirty pics perhaps? ;):p

No I deleted the one you sent me of your cock....."wrong number" me hole, you knew what you were doing! ;)

No I deleted the one you sent me of your cock....."wrong number" me hole, you knew what you were doing! ;)

i bet you still have a back up copy ya filthy beggar :D

Edit: its also not my fault you have your messages redirected from your "other" number :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Certainly not, if that person was on the run from being nvolved in a serious crime you could be found guilty by association from the number he dialed.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if he or she were to make a phone call to one of our lizard overlords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No, I wouldn't lend a stranger my phone. The only thing being polite and mannerly while asking changes, is the way I respond.

Eh, remember Dumb and Dumber?

Only old lady I've trusted since is my Granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I had a little Indian woman sitting next to me on the bus a couple of weeks ago. She was annoying a couple across from us about recommendations for tourist destinations in Dublin, and the couple got off the bus early to avoid her. There was silence for a few minutes, then she asked me to text her husband. In India. To ask him to call her again, as she had just missed his call.

She was quite rude about it, so I just by default said I had no credit, and then there was enough awkward silence afterwards to make me feel bad and like I should have done a nice thing...until she started taking photos of my hands with her camera. She liked my rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

nobody ever suspects the little old lady :rolleyes:

Indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I let a guy use my phone in a pub once (also let him take all the leftover sandwiches from our work party). He rang his friend, then saved his own number in my phone, gave it back and told me to call him sometime :pac: I didn't - think it was the stuffing of sandwiches into his pocket that turned me off.

livinsane wrote: »
    I let a guy use my phone in a pub once (also let him take all the leftover sandwiches from our work party). He rang his friend, then saved his own number in my phone, gave it back and told me to call him sometime :pac: I didn't - think it was the stuffing of sandwiches into his pocket that turned me off.

you should call him... you might have a new friend with benefits.... a friend to offload stale sandwiches too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I doubt it. Two young ones from the local halting site sat down at the next table in Burger King once and asked to use my phone to ring her fella. I'm on bill pay, but told her I'd no credit. There was two of them and only one of me, so if they were gonna leg it with it, I'd no chance.

Some man came in off the street to my old job and asked to use the work phone for a quick second, said yes, 20 minutes later he was still nattering away while I was trying to get the phone back off him. Ended up disconnecting it!

No way.
    **** that, everyone should have a phone nowadays, and if they don't they're usually skangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nope as the might run with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It depends on the situation, I would offer to make call on their behalf if I thought they were genuine but wouldn't hand over the phone to them (unless it was a child or someone elderly or someone I knew I could outrun and beat the crap out of if they decided to run.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

and i'll remain cautious of most people as my experience has lead me to believe ;)
    To be fair, I don't live in a sh1thole and don't spend much time in them either so I'm sure other people's experience with others differ to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I had someone ask once because they needed someone to pick them up. I told them to give me the number to call and I would call for them and that worked out okay.

Totally boring and uneventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Yes, I would and have done. I don't have an iPhone or Smartphone, just the standard phone the kind a thief would probably upgrade for you if they ended up snatching it. Depends on who's asking, where I am, mood I'm in, vibe I get off the person, etc., but yeah, sometimes I would.
    saiint wrote: »
    you must stand their starring into space thinking about all that before you give an answer to the person
    by which time they've probably walked off ha

Haha, not quite. I don't have to key all those possibilities into an app and wait for its response to let me know what kind of mood I'm in, or to know if the person standing in front of me gives me the creeps or seems genuine. All fairly instant stuff...not necessarily a lot of thinking to be done.

I'd probably be grateful they weren't one of those annoying chuggers wanting to 'chat' for a minute or a beggar with a well-practised sob story they were about to churn out for the hundreth time that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

Ah the ol' tapping story :pac:

After a while you hear so many. From "you wouldnt have a euro for bus fare?" to "I lost my wallet, you couldnt help me out with..."

I actually needed a euro for bus fare the other day, but was too shy to ask anyone so had resigned myself to walking home. Luckily I bumped into a mate. I've actually given money to other people before, but I'd accidentally spent the euro on an ice cream so didn't feel worthy to ask. >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Haeeere, giza shoh a yer fowin dair buuud

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Ah now. Depends on the situation I suppose, but I was very grateful to an Italian gent who let me send a text from his phone at the Luas stop a few weeks ago - I had no credit and was late for a work thing. Nil points to the Irish girl who claimed she didn't have a phone when I asked her could I send a text, only to take it out to check the time a few minutes later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I respond to strangers asking to use my phone the same way I respond to strangers asking me for a cigarette - '' Fukk Off ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Statistically speaking it is someone you know who will rob your phone from you. Oh no wait that's sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Surprised by how many people would say no! It costs you nothing and would seriously help someone in need. I hope you're attitude would be different if you came on a minor accident or someone with a flat tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

I did, was a bit wary but turned out graand,depends on the circumstance I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Well i have a crap old nokia so off they go they wouldnt get a tenner for this thing.

Maybe an old biddy or someone hurt but even then id be wary

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Never ever except in exceptional circumstances. If it seems like an emergency offer to dial the number for them.

gangs set up ultra premium rate number accounts, usually at very extreme rates, ie €10 per min more if it is an international number.
    Innocent looking distressed girl asks you if they can call their dad to come to collect them as they have lost their handbag etc.
    She dials number and has a fake conversation in your presence makes call last 3 or 4 mins. Perhaps 'Daddy ' is upset? perhaps his office is trying to locate him? use your imagination the possibilities are endless. Every 60 seconds is another tenner.

Hot young vulnerable girl thanks you sweetly and gives you your phone back.
    Viola! €35 - €40 onto your bill as you walk away feeling good about yourself.
    Very lucrative and the potential to make huge amounts of money for the scammers in the space of a few minutes.
    And as you willingly allowed someone to use your phone with your permission no crime has been committed.
    Sweet! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

just reading above never would have thought of that scam..eh :pac: but ya,i would offer to dial for them but i wouldnt be comfortable letting the phone in someonelses hand for obvious reasons..if it was a 999 or they were stuck with a bust car i would offer to ring AA or a taxi..after reading your post i wouldnt let them dial at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I think it would depend, if I thought they were in genuine need I probably would.

It happened to me one night and a guy kindly let me use his phone, so having been there I probably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I really dunno how I'd feel about it if I lived in Dublin with a swanky smartphone, as most posters seem to. But as I live in Kansas (well, the arse-end of Leitrim, same thing!), with a 3-year-old samsung dumbphone , I have no probs with the odd local farmer's wife who has finished dosing the cattle and needs hubby to collect her, but has let her phone battery die. That's the only kinda situation where I've been tested. I suppose in the big, wide world I'd have to see where my judgement took me, as and when it arose.

It's 10 years since I last lived in Dublin, 600 quid phones didn't exist back then, although I did get my wallet swiped with 200 in back then, which was my weekly wages at the time. I guess you guys just reminded me what a different world it is down there, and how sheltered we are here. We rarely lock our cars in the local towns, and I often only lock the house when leaving if I'm leaving the dog home, as she would open the doors and let herself and the cats out. (Neighbour's dog is a cat-killer, very fond of the neighbour, but regard her dog as one of the biggest risks in the area for that!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement