Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you let a stranger on the street use your phone?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

When I am getting a chick's number, I memorise it.

I do not take out my phoen due to it being about a decade behidn current technology.

So I would take out my phone and offer it to someone to make a call, but I doubt they'd accept it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

No sorry, don't mean to be that prat with the smart phone but my phone is not just a phone.

Giving my phone is giving bank details, email access etc etc.
    I've been stuck myself and would probably never ask anyone though, I'd rather go to payphone than ask a stranger.

Exactly, neither would I.
    Yet another reason to be suspicious.

Surprised by how many people would say no! It costs you nothing and would seriously help someone in need. I hope you're attitude would be different if you came on a minor accident or someone with a flat tyre.

Eh, well aside from the small price of the call it might cost you a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Nah I wouldn't risk it.. Don't wanna get an iPhone stolen.
    Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread though, I've had the ''Can I have €2 for the bus, I forgot my ticket/card on the bus earlier?'' and he seemed nice so I gave him the €2, then I watched him as he walked down the street and joined a que to get onto the bus. He stood in the que for a minute or 2, then walked away. He must've joined the que to make me think he was genuinely getting on the bus in the hope I'd stop watching him then. It's not like €2 was any big deal though. But it's the same principle as the phone thing - even if someone looks genuine, it doesn't mean that they are. I was thinking afterwards though, most people would probably say no to giving someone the €2 so he'd hardly make much of a profit out of it.. Would love to know what he was really at!

If I was in need of a phone, I'd just go into the nearest shop and ask to use their phone, I'm sure they'd let you 'cause you're hardly gonna run off with a landline phone

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Would you let a seemingly genuine person on the street use your phone under any circumstances?

But how do you determine if someone is genuine? Or are you a deeply suspicious person who would refuse everyone regardless?

I did recently, outside Lansdowne Road.

I assumed she was genuine, but being around a foot taller than her I doubt she was going to over power me.

Trust your instinct....be nice to someone who is stuck.

Advertisement