Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian degree by Distance learning? Not possible?

• 03-07-2012 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been trawling around the net looking for some distance learning options for studying Italian but can't seem to find any.

The OU, I think, doesn't look like it's a degree, just to intermediate level.

I learned it myself, having lived there, but have though about "formalising" it sometime. Maybe I would have to sit the leaving cert in it first?

My hunch is telling my that a language course could not be studied by distance learning.....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Have you looked at the website of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura i Dublino? They have a page on Learning Italian on-line. If you are in Dublin, I'm sure you could ask them to help you to find the course that would suit you. They're at 11 FitzWilliam East Dublin 2
    http://www.iicdublino.esteri.it/IIC_Dublino/Menu/Imparare_Italiano/Studiare_Italiano_on_line/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

From a thread a while back in the Work & Jobs forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78457818):
    allibastor wrote: »
    Hi, i dont know if it will help, but as an EU citizen you can apply to colleges in Sweden and Norway for a free online college course. they are fully credited courses in many subjects, and have actual degree and master level courses.

https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start

I have recently started a course through it and find it good.

hope it helps
    Not sure if they're what you're looking for but there are a number of Italian courses available. When searching click on More Search Options and you can select distance learning with no meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

So I can apply to study distance learning from Sweden? For free? Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

It would seem so.

However I'm not sure how you would go about making a full degree out of the distance learning courses listed as they appear to be individual modules. For example when you search Italian + distance learning with no meetings, the search returns 12 modules from Dalarna University. Each module is worth 7.5 or 15 credits for a total of 105 credits. I'm a while out of college but I would have thought 180 credits (60 credits/year by 3 years) would be the minimum for a degree? Perhaps these Italian modules can be combined with other related subjects to form a degree?

At this stage I'm only theorising so I would suggest dropping allibastor (who posted the original link) a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

OK, I will check it out...... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement